WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bidet vs carry-out

I thru-hiked the A.T. in '22 and am hopeing to get a permit for the JMT for 2024. Given the Carry Out Everything Rule, I am thinking about using a backcountry bidet. Not only would it eliminate the inconvenience of carrying out used T.P. but it would save space in my pack that a 3 week roll of T.P. would take up. I've never used a bidet before and imagine it would take some getting used to. Is it worth the effort? Do most JMT hikers use one? Does it eliminate the need for T.P. or would I still need to carry some? I hope some JMT veterans watch this forum and will speak from experience on this matter. Thanks.

Have the 3 top models available, go on every trip. I still pack paper, just not as much. I carry the small size CampSuds/Wilderness Wash for soap. Bears and boar eat Dr. Bronner's. I also use a microfiber towel for cleanup, had this kit for years with no problems. I bought all 3 on Amazon over the years.

I appreciate your reply. Do I understand you properly that you bring 3 bidet models "on every trip"? If so, why more than 1? Also, do you put the soap in the bidet bottle or on the microfiber towel? Thanks.

The main danger of a bidet is that you may become addicted to it in daily life. Don't be afraid to use your hand to help, then wash your hand well! You probably don't wash them enough anyway, so there's your excuse. Soap on the side, I think, and rinse it off well--tender skin doesn't need it in place 24/7, and some of us even rash up pretty bad with soap scum left in place.

But doesn't "take everything out" mean take EVERYTHING out, not just toilet paper????

No not "everything". Biomass in a properly dug cathode can stay, it's the TP that should be treated like litter and carried out. Animals tend to dig up TP in shallow improperly dug cat holes that create TP gardens that can be rather disgusting. Depending where the cat hole is, weather events can erode recently disturbed earth, exposing the contents for those behind you to deal with. For those reasons I pack out TP using an opaque or black resealable bag for the TP making it difficult to make a "grabbing mistake" and prevent escaping odors.

I found these solid material resealable bags on Amazon that so far have been perfect for this mission.
    61raROyb2lL._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use a portable bidet, dry off with just a bit of TP, and wash up with soap (unscented Nutrogena) after. Saves on TP and prevents monkey butt. Does take a bit of getting used to!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin2 View Post
    I thru-hiked the A.T. in '22 and am hopeing to get a permit for the JMT for 2024. Given the Carry Out Everything Rule, I am thinking about using a backcountry bidet. Not only would it eliminate the inconvenience of carrying out used T.P. but it would save space in my pack that a 3 week roll of T.P. would take up. I've never used a bidet before and imagine it would take some getting used to. Is it worth the effort? Do most JMT hikers use one? Does it eliminate the need for T.P. or would I still need to carry some? I hope some JMT veterans watch this forum and will speak from experience on this matter. Thanks.
    I use a backcountry bidet, as it reduces the TP to carry out. I use the bidet and one wet wipe (dried out prior, then re-wetted before use), and that usually works very well. You do have to carry everything out in the Whitney zone and they give you a Wag Bag kit to do your business, but the rest of the JMT you only need to carry out the TP.

Major bonus for me is that I cleaned my backside daily while out there cutting down on the overall hiker funk.

I have used it since and really think it’s the way to go. Dr bronners, hand sanitizer a must bring too.

The awkward times at a backcountry groover like at Crabtree Meadows… now that’s an experience. Didn’t have to dig a hole but had to figure out how to go to work with an audience.

++ New Posts ++