WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Road to Mineral King Ranger Station

Does anyone know how rough the drive to the Ranger Station is? Ive read its rutted and just wondering if anyone has been out there recently. Planning on staying in Cold Springs campground and hiking from there. Thanks Didn't know where to post this.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Sorry no recent experience with this but that road is very much like the Tail of The Dragon here in East TN / Western NC. Many many curves per mile. I do recall that the year I was there we had to use chicken wire to guard the under carriage of the vehicle from hose eating Marmots.

Just got an email this morning from my brother stating that Mineral King is being closed and evacuated. “I cannot imagine an evacuation down that road out. It normally takes 1.5 hours to drive the 23 miles on an uncrowded weekday in the daylight.” Not sure if this is the same road you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Sorry no recent experience with this but that road is very much like the Tail of The Dragon here in East TN / Western NC. Many many curves per mile. I do recall that the year I was there we had to use chicken wire to guard the under carriage of the vehicle from hose eating Marmots.
    People wrap their cars with tarps too.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Saw the update on the Sequoia/ Kings Canyon page. Thanks

++ New Posts ++