WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarptent Double Rainbow Li - thoughts?

I am loving the idea of this tent but would like to hear other people's thoughts on it (as well as from users of the regular DR).
    I have had a Duplex I loved and sold to buy the Stratospire Li which I hated and subsequently sold.

I am now trying to make a decision between the new DR Li and going back to the Duplex in .74.

One thing to bear in mind is that I am now in the UK which gets some pretty nasty storm fronts off the Atlantic even in summer. I know how the Duplex .74 fared in some pretty serious but short-lived (2hr) storms in Wyoming and the Uinta range. I do have some concerns about the storm-worthiness of the .51 DCF DR Li so knowing how the DR fares in storms in the silnylon version would be interesting to know and also how people have found .51DCF holding up in strongs winds and rain in other tents. I'm also wary of dedicated poles and zippers due to breakage or failure while out so thoughts on these too would be helpful.
    Lastly...for those that have used the DR in freestanding mode with trekking poles, how did you find it.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/double-rainbow-li/

It hasn't been available long enough for a long-term review, but Ryan's review does it preliminary justice, and I trust his reviews.

I've been waiting for a reliable freestanding DCF tent to come out (the Big Agnes abortions don't count), so I'm very excited about this tent.

If your big concern is stormworthiness, you're just not going to beat a pyramid. There are lots of DCF options for pyramids.

Images

Having used the silnylon SS1 and the MLD DuoMid, I can comfortably attest that the when properly guyed out, the SS1 will outperform the DuoMid in high winds without much issue. Quite frankly, if you are looking for the most windworthy design available, I suspect the SS1 and MLD Trailstar would be vying for top honours.

The problem is that with the SS (1/2/Li) for some people the set up is very easy/intuitive with others it's not at all. I still think that if folk that have problems setting it up as done by TT tried the way I do it, they may get it.
    That involves setting up the rectangular floor area and then pulling out the vestibules.

but yes the SS shape is very strong, it's just matter of beign able to set it up correctly.
    SS li from above.jpg

I finally got to get out for a night with mine (should have been 5 nights but things happen). I really like it so far and found it extremely easy to set up...probably the easiest tent I've ever owned. I wanted simplicity in set-up and take-down packing (the lack of it is why I got rid of the SS Li).

This tent was a good choice for me and I can't wait to get out with it again soon for more than a night, and in a place that is just a little flatter. For reference, I had no problems with getting a tight pitch on an uneven area.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Have you tried the free-standing setup yet? I have a single rainbow, and it works perfectly with my 132 cm ski poles - it's getting a winter trial this year - or the recommended 135 cm trekkiing poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Have you tried the free-standing setup yet? I have a single rainbow, and it works perfectly with my 132 cm ski poles - it's getting a winter trial this year - or the recommended 135 cm trekkiing poles.
    I did the free-standing set-up in my living room when I first got the tent so I could check it out. Wasn't the ideal place for it (literally took up the entire floor) but it seemed to work. I use trekking poles so having the option to guy out or use the poles in places I can't was a great bonus for me.

Have you bought a DR, LI yet ? I just received mine so far so good. Will be able to give an opinion in the near future.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

I just recently got out in my DR Li and loved it. The thing is a palace and weighs the same as my TT Notch. Getting ready to do five nights in it on a section hike of the AT. Hoping to see how it performs in different weather conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
    I just recently got out in my DR Li and loved it. The thing is a palace and weighs the same as my TT Notch. Getting ready to do five nights in it on a section hike of the AT. Hoping to see how it performs in different weather conditions.
    I've been really enjoying mine. Love the simplicity of pitching it and the packability compared to the SS Li. When having any tent pitched tight I always worry about strain on the zippers...and this one is no different. Opening and closing from inside requires some contortion too

++ New Posts ++