WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yall missed an obvious one..... perhaps hes wearing Cotton socks to bed?

I added wearing damp socks to my post. Is that what you meant by cotton socks? I'm not sure there would be much of a difference between cotton and nylon socks inside a sleeping bag, as long as both were dry. Have you experienced otherwise?

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

The major cause of cold feet in those with otherwise good circulation is lack of adequate bottom insulation....far too many folk are using short or summer pads with un insulated packs under the feet...not enough....this is exaccerbated by sliding to the foot end with a less than ideal hang... then the feet are normally off or passed any insulation...tremedous cold can come from the heel area, even the bone can quickly chill due to lack of body mass/fat in that area...fix is to get more noncompressing insulation under the heels and lower legs...

Best approach is to get under insulation that extends beyound the feet to ensure a pocket of warmth that is not slid out of ...also doing the same under quilt insulation for the head will complete the sleep system...Remember the old adage, "when your feet are cold put something on your head"...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    I added wearing damp socks to my post. Is that what you meant by cotton socks? I'm not sure there would be much of a difference between cotton and nylon socks inside a sleeping bag, as long as both were dry. Have you experienced otherwise?

My feet sweat alot so theres no such thing as dry socks here. Damp would be bad, damp cotton worse.

I've found I'm usually warmer at night without socks due to wetness. As the bag warms up, I'll bring in the socks to dry - when I use a sleeping bag.

I agree with orangebug - I put my socks next to my body to dry and don't wear socks in the bag - this way if a part of my foot is feeling cold I can rub it with the other foot to warm it up quickly

OK, He Has a Hennessey Pad Made for the hammock for cold Weather. He has 3 Pairs of Hiking Socks. He has Under Armor Cold Gear and Under Armor Head Wear with a wool Stocking Cap. All of his gear is synthetic. No Cotton anything. We fed him your ideas and everything now is going fine. He is off to Neels Gap and his attitude is great. Thank everybody for the help. I'm sure it will not be my last request for help.

Savoring Happy!

Wink Best solution to cold feet!!

Quote Originally Posted by mheider
    He says he can't keep his feet warm (Even wearing 3 Pairs of socks) when sleeping in his Hennesey Hammock? Any Suggestions would be great.
    Tell your son to make sure the hammock is exactly centered between the two supporting trees, that the hang angle is precisely correct, and that all his quilts, pads and pillows are taped or glued to the bottom of the Hennesey in exactly the right place. Make sure the bottom apex of the hammock is no less than 27" from the ground nor more than 36 1/2 inches. After the 15 mins it takes to to do all this, have him spend another 5 minutes to pitch a TENT climb in and enjoy a warm cozy night where he can sleep on his stomach, side, or back without freezing cold air circulating all around him. He'll find his feet stay much warmer because he won't have reduced circualtion to his elevated feet.

We all wish him the best of luck on his trek and keep us advised of his progress.

If he still enjoys the hammock have him contact me. I have 2 for sale.

if all that is cold is his feet, then he is blessed. hammocks are COLD. No Belay is on to the truth. staying warm up here in a hammock is a full time job. hammocks aren't for newbies. did i mention thunderstorms? you would be amazed how hard it is to find a pair of suitable trees up here.

cruelist of all, after finally getting everything just right to stay warm, then you have to go to the bathroom! dang nabit.

i think the next option hennesay needs to add is a pee tube or catheter like they have on scuba dry suits. one thing is for sure, most of the swingers up here have no idea about hammocks. its a good thing its not cold yet, cause somebody is going to freeze in one.

hang the head end of the hammock a little higher than the feet. if i get cold i just get into the fetal position.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brz
    if all that is cold is his feet, then he is blessed. hammocks are COLD. No Belay is on to the truth. staying warm up here in a hammock is a full time job. hammocks aren't for newbies. did i mention thunderstorms? you would be amazed how hard it is to find a pair of suitable trees up here.

cruelist of all, after finally getting everything just right to stay warm, then you have to go to the bathroom! dang nabit.

i think the next option hennesay needs to add is a pee tube or catheter like they have on scuba dry suits. one thing is for sure, most of the swingers up here have no idea about hammocks. its a good thing its not cold yet, cause somebody is going to freeze in one.
    Not hard to stay warm. Just different than on the ground. I little more of a learning curve than laying in a bag on a pad in a tent.

I am planning on many cold outside/warm inside my hammock nights this fall.

I have to concur with the use of closed cell foam under the feet. When sleeping on your back in a hammock, the greatest pressure on your body is in the trunk and heel area. I use a full length 3/8" blue foam pad. I haven't had a problem with cold anything. I have added "wings" to my pad which correspond with my body's shape from shoulders to elbows. Clothing can be used for insulation by placing it next to both sides of the pad, but it tends to migrate toward the low spot (the butt), as does almost everything else, though less in a Hennessy Hammock than other "burrito" styles (I have both).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

maybe he is hanging the feet of his hammock too high??? that's good in the summer because then your feet don't swell/ache as bad the next day but if your trying to keep those piggely wiggelys warm its not a good thing. In fact I second downhill's response try hanging the head of the hammock a wee bit higher to increase circulation to the feet (probably ditch the third and maybe second sock to increase circulation.) and the small peice off ccf pad sounds like a winner as well......
    Brian

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mheider View Post
    My Son Big X started out Satarday Morning. He's Moving slow becuse this is his first time Long Distance Hiking. He will be in Suches tommorow picking up a mail drop. He says he can't keep his feet warm (Even wearing 3 Pairs of socks) when sleeping in his Hennesey Hammock? Any Suggestions would be great. Give him Moral support if you run past him.
    I've never done any hammock camping, but I did sleep many nights in a hammock in northeastern Brazil where they are often used in lieu of a bed. Your feet can get cold in a hammock because they tend to be elevated above your heart, causing less circulation to the feet. The key for me was to try to sleep diagonally across the hammock so that my body was nearly in a level straight line instead of being curved upward at the head and feet.

Maybe this tip will help your son.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    one trick that someone (Youngblood ???) mentioned that works for me is to take a small piece of CCF pad and put it in the bottom of the sleeping bag so that one's heels are resting on the small CCF pad
    HOI,

We meet at the Blueberry Massacre (sp?) this fall. I was the one that came in late but not as late as Rox and Robert.

Thanks for the suggestion about the about the CCF pad. Now I have to go on another training hike.

I went up to South Mountain State Park on Wed. night. It got down to just at freezing. I have a Super Shelter for my HH and it did great. The only part of me that got cold was my feet. I feel like my feet are not on the underpad. I will use the backpad from my backpack in my sleeping bag next time and see how that works.

Bobby Woods

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mheider View Post
    He says he can't keep his feet warm (Even wearing 3 Pairs of socks) when sleeping in his Hennesey Hammock? Any Suggestions would be great.
    tell him to slip his feet into a tent!
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Ragg wool socks. Reserved for camp and sleep only. Works for me.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Having the pad under your feet should fix it. If not some people use down bottie things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++