WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Port Clinton to boiling springs

Getting ready for my first backpacking trip. I’m planning on going sobo from port Clinton to boiling springs. I’ve done a lot of research, have my gear and feel pretty well prepared. Anything I should know or any tips for my journey?

Like the AT is closed? Or dont drink the water once off the mountain going into Boiling Springs? Lots of farm run off. Or dont camp in Boiling Springs unless you can sleep thru train horns in your ear. Best advice I got was from an ATC employee who said keep going...its an easy hike to Kennedy Shelter. This of course assumes you are not exiting at Boiling Springs. As motivation to continue for a pickup outside of Boiling Springs the Twirly Top near James Fry shelter is a great reward for completing your hike.

Planning on getting picked up in boiling springs. Thanks for the tip about the water!

There's some nasty sections of rocks here and there. You'll run into them right off. Look out for Raddle Snakes, they love those sunny piles of rocks. Don't mess with them. You ignore them, they ignore you. Do the climb out of Port Clinton in the morning, it's pretty steep. In fact, try to get up with the sun and do most of your miles by noon.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Stop at the Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There's some nasty sections of rocks here and there. You'll run into them right off. Look out for Raddle Snakes, they love those sunny piles of rocks. Don't mess with them. You ignore them, they ignore you. Do the climb out of Port Clinton in the morning, it's pretty steep. In fact, try to get up with the sun and do most of your miles by noon.
    Definitely will be watching out for those snakes. I thought about starting at 183 but I want the challenge of that initial climb. Thanks!!

For sure stopping at the Doyle for a beer!!

Thats what I did(183) as I wanted to do only 90-100 miles. Its an interesting mix of super easy and there goes my average speed. Overall it was very enjoyable and for a low miles/day guy, it was fun to do 22 miles and not be tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoskater99 View Post
    Definitely will be watching out for those snakes. I thought about starting at 183 but I want the challenge of that initial climb. Thanks!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Like the AT is closed? Or dont drink the water once off the mountain going into Boiling Springs? Lots of farm run off. Or dont camp in Boiling Springs unless you can sleep thru train horns in your ear. Best advice I got was from an ATC employee who said keep going...its an easy hike to Kennedy Shelter. This of course assumes you are not exiting at Boiling Springs. As motivation to continue for a pickup outside of Boiling Springs the Twirly Top near James Fry shelter is a great reward for completing your hike.
    Is it still true that the AT is closed in PA? I'm seeing some outdated closure information online, and it seems to be spread across many different websites. So it is kind of hard to know the latest information with certainty.

It is my understanding that shelters are closed in PA, but the trial is open and camping is allowed in most campsites and shelter locations along the trail. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Is it still true that the AT is closed in PA? I'm seeing some outdated closure information online, and it seems to be spread across many different websites. So it is kind of hard to know the latest information with certainty.

It is my understanding that shelters are closed in PA, but the trial is open and camping is allowed in most campsites and shelter locations along the trail. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
    Regardless of the official rules, lacking any attempt at enforcement people are doing whatever they please. It's the American way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post

I have a friend who started a flip flop in Harper's Ferry a couple of weeks ago and is finishing up PA, and it mostly open. Pine Grove Furnace SP and the such have been closed and hitching has been slower, but everything else sounds pretty status quo. The shelters have been open.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Stop at the Doyle
    Is the Doyle open for business?

Stopped there couple years ago - the place was unreal

Quote Originally Posted by igost View Post
    Is the Doyle open for business?

Stopped there couple years ago - the place was unreal
    That is a nice way of saying it.

Journal Entries

In Boiling Springs I stayed at the Allenbury which was a great stay and took in a play. IDK of they still are open but it was a popular place for thru hikers and had a special building and rates for us.

Doyle was open 2 days ago. No food or alcohol sales. Hikers only. Was told Allenberry does not want hikers.

++ New Posts ++