WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Topo Athletic - toe box not as wide as advertised

I just received a pair of the Terra Adventure 2 trail shoe and I'm very surprised at the fit. All the advertising focus on the roomy toe box seems to be untrue. These don't seem any different than any other brand in it's class. I was really hoping to find an alternative to the oh-so-fragile Altra's which are almost too expensive for me to use as they hardly last 500 miles. Dang it, so very disappointing.

Has anyone tried any other models?

500 miles +/- a few depending on wear conditions (rocky trail vs soil trail) is the most you can expect from any trail shoe. They simply aren't all that durable. That's the trade off of having a light shoe. I can usually eke 600 miles out of a pair of boots, but their beyond done at that point.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

New Balance sells 4E trail runners, that what I need to use. That said I get one season of hiking out of pair.

FWIW - I have found Oboz and some of the Keen trail shoe models to have a wider toe box than other shoes. I am currently in a pair of Oboz but they are passing the 400 mile point and showing considerable wear that suggest I will get about 500 miles (common for these types of shoes) out of them before I have to spring for a new pair. Given my experience with these shoes over several others I have tried, I will replace them with another pair of Oboz trail shoes.

++ New Posts ++