WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike help near Warwick, NY

Planning a Sobo lash from CT/NY border to DWG in late Sept - Oct. Using Guthook and AWOL ... and there doesn't seem to be many or any hostels available. Many high priced BB near he NY/NJ border which is close to 1/2 way, and many negative comments on Guthook about cheesy motels. I'd like to find a place to send a maildrop and maybe take zero in the Warwick,,,Greenwood Lake area. Any suggestions would be appreciate.

That's a $$$$$ area, bring lots of money. Sad to see Graymoor no longer allows hikers on the property, that was a good stop. Except I spent $100 on food at the near-by Appalachian Market in 2 days. No good options really.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Planning a Sobo lash from CT/NY border to DWG in late Sept - Oct. Using Guthook and AWOL ... and there doesn't seem to be many or any hostels available. Many high priced BB near he NY/NJ border which is close to 1/2 way, and many negative comments on Guthook about cheesy motels. I'd like to find a place to send a maildrop and maybe take zero in the Warwick,,,Greenwood Lake area. Any suggestions would be appreciate.
    I live just over the border of NY, near Wawayanda, a few miles from Warwick. Warwick is a tourist area where the rich people from NYC go "Upstate" to do their Antique shopping and spend way more money than they need to and the store owners recognize that. That being said, check the Warwick Motel & Suites, (845) 986-6656. they are probably about $100 a night. It is not a hostel and not that far from the downtown area. I'm not sure if they accept drop boxes though. You will spend a lot at the restaurants but they are pretty good. there is an all you can eat Chinese buffet for $10 next to the hospital.

If it falls on the right dates, I could shuttle you around to more reasonable priced places. Let me know your expected dates and PM me.
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

Thanks for your thoughts... Meadow Lake Farm BB looks doable... $15 camping including b'fast & laundry. A 17' Sobo "Scar"advertises on Guthook about a helping and a place to crash. I also came across another person Car "in the bush" offering help and camping at his home, Pickup/ drop off and laundry. I've got #'s for these guys so as I approach my hike I'll call. Gadget... I'll PM you when I firm things up.... thanks for the offer.

Nice enough area for hiking, though the NY parts of the AT were the least enjoyable on my hike. As an aside a retired couple from Warwick responded to my log splitting ad last fall, over an hour and a half away. I needed the bread so went out there in faith on two separate days and made a decent day wage with a hydraulic unit. I also worked on an organic farm in Westtown many years ago, the guy who runs it is a big promoter of rocambole garlic.

Try the Appalachian Motel on Rt 94 in Vernon. They'll pick you up (maybe not right now) if you make the reservation directly from them.
    AAA approved, Mitch's Hot dogs and a farm stand right off the trail. town is 1 mile south of the motel with services.
    I stayed there last Sept. Had hot dogs (GOOD ONES) while waiting. Motel is 1 mile south of trail.

Thanks for your thoughts... Meadow Lake Farm BB looks doable... $15 camping including b'fast & laundry....
    Meadow Lark Farm B&B is definitely AT friendly. The owner (Dorothy Haup) shuttles AT hikers and is on the WhiteBlaze shuttle list.
    I used her for shuttles and she's great. I haven't stayed at the B&B but my sense if that the rooms cater to a nice, more expensive experience than some hikers are looking for. But camping on the property is available, and shuttles to the nearby AT are available as well.
    -------
    I've known folks to pool resources and share hotel rooms with 2 or 3 (or more) people to be able to afford lodging in those pricier areas of the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That's a $$$$$ area, bring lots of money. Sad to see Graymoor no longer allows hikers on the property, that was a good stop. Except I spent $100 on food at the near-by Appalachian Market in 2 days. No good options really.
    Slo-

When/why was this announced about Graymoor? Was hoping to stop there on a section hike later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    Slo-

When/why was this announced about Graymoor? Was hoping to stop there on a section hike later this year.
    It's in the 2020 AT White Pages guide. When I don't know. I stayed there 3 years ago, so between then and now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb My suggeston

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    I recommend you go to the horse's mouth, and use the contact info at
    https://www.atonementfriars.org/
    before you arrive there.

Images

This past spring the roof was off the pavilion, it looked like it was being rebuilt. The sink and shower were there and the water was turned on. I don't remember if there was a port-A-potti or not.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Bear Mountain Bridge Motel in Fort Montgomery is a decent place to stay. $85/night cash. Rooms are small and clean. BBQ place and convenience store right across the street. Lots of places deliver food. Uber is available.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Sad to see Graymoor no longer allows hikers on the property, that was a good stop.
    I'm don't think this is true. Hikers were staying there when I passed through last month. Plus there are comments in Guthook from hikers who stayed there recently.

One of my favorite trips i have taken overlaps yours and same time of year as well. Not alot of hostels thru there. We used motels and motorlodges most of the way, town taxis and just rolled with it. Best trip ever
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++