WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GA - Cheese Factory info appreciated

Hey all, we're getting back out there for a few days and looks like the Cheese Factory site may be a good stopping point for our first night. My only concern is that it is really close to the access points at Tray Gap and Indian Grave Gap roads, and I'm wondering if it's a popular spot for the local party crowd? It seems like a pretty easy place to drag a cooler, a boom box and a recliner. We will hopefully be there on a Thursday evening, but there's a chance it could be Friday instead. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Cheese factory is a 1 mile hike from Indian Grave gap so it would be a haul to bring in a cooler. It is a pretty large area so you could find a peaceful place even if it was crowded. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Looks like we'll be doing Thursday and not Friday, so I'm hoping for an uncrowded spot. Then I guess we'll hope for another uncrowded night the next night around Sassafrass Gap... Thanks again for replying.

My best answer is "maybe". Right now, every night is potentially Friday or Saturday and the road goes right by there. The good news is there are lots of other camping sites nearby for just in case. It's just that this one has a good flat site and good water. I don't know if it's on the local radar of places in the woods to camp right now, but with the Upper Chattahoochee River campground still closed, I don't know.

Most of the other dispersed and slightly developed camping along the FS roads in that area have opened, so maybe folks are headed elsewhere. Good luck, it's a nice area.

I remember seeing this listed in the AWOL guide a few years back and getting really excited at the prospect of a detour to the Cheesecake Factory! Not even a huge fan, but on the trail, sign me up!
    There must not be much to it because I never even noticed it going through GA.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I remember seeing this listed in the AWOL guide a few years back and getting really excited at the prospect of a detour to the Cheesecake Factory! Not even a huge fan, but on the trail, sign me up!
    There must not be much to it because I never even noticed it going through GA.
    It's just a clearing in the woods where apparently there was once a cheese factory some eons ago. I camped there once.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++