WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default COVID Tourist hikers

Is it just me becoming bitter? The surge of tourists hitting the parks and trails is starting to become overwhelming. Can't find a quite trailhead in NC much anymore. I have taken up FSR hiking to keep away from the crowds.

I thought joining a couple new hiking forums and FB pages would be interesting but its nothing but tourist hikers demanding information on trails and parks. Criteria like waterfalls and of all the places within an hours drive from the coast. Mountain trails that their 5yo can walk.

I am just in awe on how people can't google and research state parks and trails. They have to be told where to go. And they are not even buying or carrying maps. Buy a Nat Geo map and find all the different trails in an area. In addition, you will need it when you are out and about.

And there has been a surge in rescues of people who get lost, not knowledgeable of the trail, or don't bring adequate gear. There have been several rescues in my area because people didn't look at the weather and decided to return after a good rainfall to find out they are trapped by a raging stream.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

you pretty much nailed it...

the trouble is due to the virus, people dont have other outlets of entertainment....

they want to get outta the house-----but the malls are limited...........there's no movie theatres to go to.....

no sports to watch...........even getting a bite to eat takes more work...

so, what's left?

the good ol' outdoors......

Well, public lands are for the use of, you guessed it, the public...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Well, public lands are for the use of, you guessed it, the public...
    Perfect lonehiker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Embrace this wonderful gift

its nothing but tourist hikers demanding information on trails and parks
    In other words, you've been given a wonderful opportunity to educate people on how to (1) get information online, (2) choose gear appropriate for the hikes they plan, and (3) practice proper outdoor ethics, like LNT.
    Embrace it! Share your expertise! That's the wonder of this thing called the internet!

If you're a person whose attitude is, "I'm too superior to this scum to offer any advice. And besides, the purpose of public lands is to allow me to avoid the public.", feel free to ignore this advice.

Those hikers are always there.... there's just a ton more lately for good reason! It's often nice to see
    I don't mind stopping and giving some info to families or people that are inexperienced and are getting out there.

They just opened up backcountry parks for canoeing/hiking where I live... I am going on a couple trips and it will be interesting to see how many random new and poorly equipped people will be out! It's about the only thing open for travelling, so should be interesting.

Thats pretty much every weekend in the whites.

Well, as much as I'd like to keep my local trails just to myself, that seems sort of selfish. And it's good to see them being used.

I went and hiked a popular mountain at the southern end of the Whites yesterday - a Sunday. And surprise, surprise, a lot of other people had the same idea. Guess my little group of 3 just added to the crowd. I typically hike on a Monday or Tuesday (the days my hiking partner has off) so we don't often see too many others. With the summer season rapidly approaching up here, no doubt we'll start to meet a lot more. We wanted to get this mountain out of the way before it really starts to get busy.

As someone who gives a lot of travel advice, I'm okay with suggesting where to take a 5 yr old hiking. You can point them in a direction that they can then get some specific info on.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

what's "FSR" hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    what's "FSR" hiking?
    I'm not sure my guess? Fire service roads?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    what's "FSR" hiking?
    Forest Service Road hiking.

Example: https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7038088/fsr-5018

Images

Yes. It’s just you being bitter.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Its exactly the same situation here in Europe.
    Now that the Corona thing seems to fade out here and most restrictons got relieved, sheer masses stream out to local walks, hikes and vistas.
    Parking lots are overflowing and on summits its hard to catch a place to sit down for a minute.
    But everybody seems to be respectful, polite and happy.

In the whites, 95% of the hikers hit 5% of the trails. Avoid the easiest ways to get to the 4Ks and the 52 with a view and the trails are still pretty empty.

Pretty sure we’re all tourists in one fashion or another. I surely would love to live in them woods but alas I don’t. Makes me a tourist, doesn’t it?

Hkedratics philosophical ponder: When thru hiking the AT, is one a tourist, visitor, or resident to any given place or entire trail?

I would opine that you are a permanent resident of your footprints; until you take the next step . . .

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you're on a trail and you think it's too crowded, I do believe you're part of the crowd. I've used this opportunity to find new places to go. It's pretty easy to get out and see few, if any, people if you don't insist on hiking on weekends (when you have a choice), getting a spectacular view, or having perfect weather. Town forests and other unremarkable places draw few hikers.

Garlic
    Images

Overcrowded trails in my county's open space system are a real "problem" for my trail crew. Folks trying to socially distance are making very wide trails, parallel trails, and braided trails. But we all realize it's a good problem, because the public are actually using the public land, and heck, it's job security.

And it's not that bad. As peakbagger said, it's mostly the first 20% of the trails, the short "nature loops," etc. As you get away from the cigarette butt zone, conditions improve.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I live in Georgia and Woody Gap on the AT was more crowded then I have ever seen last weekend. But if you walk a mile away from parking, the crowds thin to near nothing.

As a poster mentioned previously, there is not much to do with the virus lockdown. As this ends, the trail crowd should go back to normal.

One positive from the virus, people seem to be more interested in getting into shape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++