WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    alligator, i cant really tell if your kidding, but youre posts prove that you are ignorant because you speak of something you obviously know nothing about. i would keep my mouth shut if I were you...lest you really make an even bigger fool of yourself. i think youre the donkey's ass.

and yes...we've stayed, as have many others, at Jim's Secret Shelter. believe it or not.
    whizzzzzzzzzzzzz

(the sound of a post zipping over your head)

let this thread die, please
    Frosty

Look folks, I've done that section of NJ, check my gallery. It's really cruel of former thrus to perpetuate this hoax. It's just like hazing. Somebody fooled you on your hike about the Secret Shelter, you all do it to the next year's crop? Just give it a rest. Loads of people read this forum, we can't have them showing up in droves. What if someone just camps in somebody's spare lot thinking that shed is a shelter? It won't look good. I thought hikers were above hazing. This crazy story doesn't deserve any more unneeded attention. I've said my piece and I will say no more. Tall tales are for children.

Default Hmmmmmm...

The great lizard doth protest too much, methinks...

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Look folks, I've done that section of NJ, check my gallery. It's really cruel of former thrus to perpetuate this hoax. It's just like hazing. Somebody fooled you on your hike about the Secret Shelter, you all do it to the next year's crop? Just give it a rest. Loads of people read this forum, we can't have them showing up in droves. What if someone just camps in somebody's spare lot thinking that shed is a shelter? It won't look good. I thought hikers were above hazing. This crazy story doesn't deserve any more unneeded attention. I've said my piece and I will say no more. Tall tales are for children.
    Believe what you want, but nevertheless it exists. its no hoax. i would give the exact location, but im sure i would get slayed by others if i did.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    Believe what you want, but nevertheless it exists. its no hoax. i would give the exact location, but im sure i would get slayed by others if i did.

Solemate, have you removed that hook from your mouth yet?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Check July 17th of this link, or this link, or August 29th of this link. I haven't been to this shelter but it seems it either exists or lots of hikers have a common delusion. I'll believe it exists.

From those links:

Thursday, July 17, 2003 Destination: Hidden Shelter
    Starting Location: Culver Gap Today's Miles: 21.1
    Trip Miles: 1330.1

We got a good start this morning and our goal for the day was the hidden Shelter, which is actually a private acreage owned by a 1989 thru hiker. He invites only thru hikers to his place where they are welcome to tent or stay in his "shelter" that he built with electricity and running water for hikers.

We spent the day hiking on difficult rocky footing, climbing to Highpoint State Park, NJ. The day was clear and beautiful and we were hoping for a view of NYC from the observation deck but there was a side trail to a tower. The extra trail and stairs were too much after the rough trail and we still had miles to go.

At a road we met a hiker sitting by 2 packs and introduced ourselves. We had seen Snowberry's name in registers. Her hiking partner was getting water. We asked if they were going to the hidden shelter and she said they weren't sure where it was because they were carrying a different guide that did not include the directions.

We hiked on, saw one small sign that merely said "Well Water". We found the place! The setting was so beautiful with an open area for tenting and blooming trees in the distance. Rocks in the mown grass gave the place a landscaped feel. Thick fireflies in the grass were the finishing touch for a paradise ambience. We cooked on the porch, had a hot shower and slept in our tent. Frequently we were startled by the braying of a pair of donkeys. The well water is the best we have had on this hike. Thank you, Jim, for a wonderful place to spend the night.

AND...

I spent last night at a place known as, "The Secret Shelter", which is known only to thru-hikers through word-of-mouth. A former AT hiker has set up a "shack" on his property that offers electricity, running water, a hot shower, and a clothes dryer. All free for those walking the Trail. The AT seems to inspire a magnificent generosity in some people.

AND...

August 29 ~ Secret Shelter, NJ at milepoint 844.9 south

One of the high points of the day was reaching this shelter. It’s not listed in any guidebook, and it’s not shown on any of our maps. It’s a grassy hillside with several tiny outbuildings, most of them locked. But the main building, recently erected, is open and hikers are welcome to use it. The property owner, a former thru-hiker named Jim, is thanked profusely in the Trail register here. The shelter is only 10’ x 10’ but it has a clothes dryer, 2 hot showers (one inside and one outside), a huge stainless steel sink for dish washing or clothes washing, a sleeping loft (no beds), an electric fan, a small porch, and a hammock. All of this is nestled in a hillside in the middle of nowhere. “Jim, ” one hiker writes, “you are an amazing guy, with an amazing place and an amazing heart…My time here rejuvenated my body and re-inspired my soul for the Trail.” Another wrote: “If you ever need someone to live here, please let me know.” Even though I’m tenting on the grass, it was wonderful to take a shower, wash our dishes, and throw my sweat-soaked clothes in the dryer. What’s remarkable is the effort Jim went through to design and build this structure – solely for the purpose of sheltering thru-hikers on the AT, which passes within a few hundred yards of his land. Thank you, Jim – hundreds, and in time thousands, of hikers will be nominating you for a special place in hiker heaven.

We eventually got to “The Secret Shelter”, a shelter/hostel spread only by word of mouth and not put in any books. It is really really nice here. There’s electricity, running water, a dryer – the works. I’m the only person in the loft. Everyone else is tenting to escape the skeeters. The fan up here is doing a decent job keeping them away.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    whizzzzzzzzzzzzz

(the sound of a post zipping over your head)

let this thread die, please

Solemate and phart, look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Alligator.

Don't you get it, he is joking.

OK, Someone needs to lay this out plainly, joke or no.

Solemates. He KNOWS that the shelter is there. You don't need to prove it to him. His entire post is a tongue-in-cheek attempt to pretend like it is not. So the place won't be overrun. So it will still be a secret, get it?

It's a joke. Ha ha.

[edit: missed that bulldog had posted the same thing just before me. so this is redundant. too bad we can't delete our posts...]
    Last edited by JoeHiker; 05-06-2005 at 11:03.

There needs to be a smilie for "sarcasm"!
    Maybe it could be this one , it sure ain't this one !

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49
    Solemate and phart, look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Alligator.

Don't you get it, he is joking.

Anyone wanna bet Solemate's next post will say he looked it up in the dictionary and Alligator's picture wasn't there?

Anyone wanna bet Solemate's next post will say he looked it up in the dictionary and Alligator's picture wasn't there?
    Now that was just mean. Funny though.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed
    Sounds like the Eckville Shelter (Thanks Lazee)
    I still have to complete Ferguson Road NJ (Just N of Highpoint) to CT Line.
    Could someone please PM me and let me know which Road crossing the Secret Shelter is at?
    Thanks so much
    You have already passed it. Sorry.

Oops, my directions are backwards. It's still ahead of you.
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 05-06-2005 at 12:45. Reason: Oops

nice. glad you could get a laugh at my expense.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    . . .I haven't been to this shelter but it seems it either exists or lots of hikers have a common delusion.
    I think it's funny that you could even question whether or not "lots of hikers have a common delusion."

Dropped off five imaginary slackpackers at the secret shelter while out in the Billmobile just last Octember.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Default Secret Shelter Closed...

According to appalachianpages.com, the Secret Shelter is now unfortunately closed.

http://www.appalachianpages.com/foru...read.php?t=560

--There is always more uphill.

Alligator, you sound like one of the mistaken who seem to believe all of NJ is airports, refineries, buildings, pollution, and interstates. Granted, there is much development in NJ, can be expensive to live, a good amount of it is paved over, and it has more cars per square mile than any other state, but the western, particularly the northwestern area where the AT is routed, southern parts(think Pinelands Reserve), and the eastern shoreline from Sandyhook south to Cape May are very different than the northeastern part which so many have limitedly experienced. I've actually met quite a few AT thru-hikers who believed that they were going to be hiking through backyards on the AT stretch through NJ. What a joke! This kind of ignorance leads other outdoors people in other parts of the country to mistakenly believe that hiking the AT is a joke - like it's hiking from grocery store to grocery store through backyards - like it's not real hiking unless you're hiking out west or mid west climbing a 14 er. Wake up!

i've stayed at the secret shelter twice. its there. theres always a couple jackass's there though.

Images

I stayed there in the summer of 2001. Had a real good time, even got laid there..

Panzer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++