WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I third Traffic Jam’s sentiment. Life is short.
    Go for it early.

Every time I see this thread pop up, I want to again say go for it. You never know when getting away for more than a few days will no longer be possible for family or work reasons. I did a good bit of hiking over the several years but wish I had done more. Someday I will again.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Every time I see this thread pop up, I want to again say go for it. ...
    Thanks for the encouragement. I might not thru the AT but am working every angle for a big multi-month adventure in 2023. At that point I will be able to retire so it makes the negotiation at work easier... not thinking of an ultimatum but more what will work for both sides.

The plans for a backpack trip summer 2021 fell apart but things are looking up for a few trips next spring and summer.

You'll know when to pull the trigger on your plan. I don't walk in your shoes but I can appreciate your quandary. We all have constraints and we work within that notion to make the best decision for the greater good. In full disclosure, my most memorable trips have been when I just throw all my gear in the back of my truck and head southeast. Do it with no regret and best wishes for a fantastic future.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Same boat as you Jim, 5 yrs out; and I'm an old guy in IT and you can't get much more 'expendable' than that. Lucky thing is I do get 5wks leave a year plus a 2wk stretch over the holidays. Looking to do a long trail after retirement but for now I take at least one 2wk long hike then a few shorter ones. Pick you out some shorter long trails and section them for the next 5 and then take the plunge. I'm working on the Benton Mackaye/AT loop right now with a 2wk trip/year. Looking at the Sheltowee Trace and maybe Pinhoti and that should keep me busy till time for a long one. Should be lots of similar out your way. You're right about not wanting to go back to the cube though. It is painful after 2wks on the trail.

Images

:banana

I was intending to retire at 63 and just live on the AT. 60 rolled around and i developed heart failure, since that dark time i have walked hiked and Bicycled myself to a point where i am planning a short two day on the Sheltowee trace in Kentucky, if that works out ok then finish the sheltowee after trail days starting where i got off it in 2013 and hike into Tennessee. If that pans out then i will be seriously planning for an AT thru in 2023. If ya can go now then do it, if a setback happens then recover and do it... the thing to do is do it.
    sooner or later there comes a time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++