My story is certainly not unique. In my teens and 20's I was all about backpacking and bicycle touring in summer, alpine and nordic skiing in winter. I heard about long trails like the AT and the new PCT. I dreamed about longer trips but 10 days was generally the limit due at first to companions' work schedule and later my own. Then, without ever changing my dreams, life started to change. "Stable job". Car payments. Marriage. House payments. Children.

I have a good job with excellent leave benefits. We have done lots of various sorts of trips and travel, but with few exceptions I have taken no more than 2 weeks off work at a time. Generally I see taking more than that being a big burden on my co-workers.

Now Covid and the world being upended has me thinking back to what's important in the world and what's important to me. Also one kid graduating high school last year and the other next year changes my day-to-day priorities. The known, finally accepted, is that I won't be retiring for 5 to 8 years (age 60-63). (Pension and various obligations don't make it feasible to retire before then).

My thoughts have turned back to those early dreams, those long trails. I hiked the JMT in 2008 and at the end- 15 days- I really didn't want to leave. Since then it's only been one family backpack trip every year or so.

After talking with thru-hikers on the PCT and others who have done multiple trails, my goal is the AT. I've hiked enough in the west that I want the adventure and experience of a different region. I'd like to hike in a deciduous forest. I'd like to start in winter and follow spring north into summer then race autumn for winter.

I'm afraid-hopeful-expectant that after that experience I won't want to go back to my cubicle for another 5 years. That it will be hollow. That I will be ready for such a major turning point that the status quo won't work anymore.

But I could. In 2022, the year after my youngest has moved off to college, I will be able to take 6-7 months off from work with paid leave. Financially it wouldn't make much difference whether I took that time soon, or waited and retired 6 months early. There would be required negotiations and planning both at work and home, but it's possible.

Waiting isn't the biggest problem. I'm more worried that my body will be far less likely to enjoy 7 months on the trail in my 60's than my 50's.

Rambling about rambling. Any thoughts from those who have already passed this way?

Thanks,
Jim
California