WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Editor Needed

Appalachian Trail Parking Database

Exclamation Editor Needed

Editor Needed
    PLEASE READ

The Appalachian Trail Parking website is in dire need of an editor. With the death of our website editor, David Cullen, we’re having a huge problem keeping our website afloat. If you’ve been on our website recently, I’m sure you’ve noticed that a lot of our posts are getting really old. We need someone that is familiar with a good bit of the trail and willing to research into areas that are unfamiliar to her/him. We need someone that is willing to validate all submissions to our website: parking, safety and pictures. Of course, we will be assisting you and guiding you through all of the steps we take in the process of editing. We are an all-volunteer website so we are unable to compensate you for your time and knowledge so we need someone that also has a love of the trail and is willing to give back to the AT community.

Besides us, we have one occasional editor that will also help out. We’d love to have more section editors but with all of our pleas for help, this just hasn’t panned out. If you have any interest in only working on a section of the trail we’d also welcome you with open arms.

Life has changed here at the AT Parking website. When we first started in this endeavor, we were able to devote the majority of our time to programming and editing. Now with all of the nasties in the world, security has become an almost full-time job for us.

Over the years, we’ve had a good many offers from commercial websites to take over our website but we’d really not like to do that unless we have no alternative. We view the trail as one of the great free treasures in our country and would like to continue doing our part to support the AT as long as we can.
    Please contact us if you should have any interest in helping out. We really need you!

Please feel free to pass on this message to anyone who you think might be able to help us.

The Rohlands AT @ rohland . org

This has slo- go'en all over it. He's very knowledgeable of alot of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    This has slo- go'en all over it. He's very knowledgeable of alot of the trail.
    Except where to park, since I always use public transportation.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

From the Rohland Website:
    We've got some really great news for now. 4 wonderful people have stepped forward to edit the AT Parking Website for 3 - 6 months. BUT they need your help. None of them have hiked the entire AT. Here's how YOU can keep this website going:

Worth a dancing banana!

If whiteblaze does not sticky this, they should. Its an incredible resource.

Thank you peakbagger. We could really use your help. Please tell us about the parking areas that you've used recently. Is everything still ok on our site or does it need updating. https://bit.ly/3fayrPO

Quote Originally Posted by ATParkingDatabase View Post
    Thank you peakbagger. We could really use your help. Please tell us about the parking areas that you've used recently. Is everything still ok on our site or does it need updating. https://bit.ly/3fayrPO
    Honestly I dont think it has changed much. I know that the age of photos is irrelevant to hikers. It has always been nice to be able to know what I am looking for prior to showing up. Or if a road is questionable for its quality its been a good check.

If there could be a list created and updated for specific info needed that a-lot more feedback would be given. But when a roll call for “updated info” is requested, people dont know what is specifically needed. Most take lots of pictures and would be happy to supply trip photos, or be on the lookout for photos/ info needed. Would be more then happy to. But others have to know what the need is from a info out of date perspective
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-08-2020 at 10:46.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

All of the data posts should have a date on them. If you see something with an old date but all the info is still good we need to know that so we can update the date. Everyone feels more secure with a listing that has a date within the past few years vs 10 years (and yes we do have listings that are 10 years old). If any information is changed we really would like to know about that too. We will be requesting information via our Facebook page and others in the future on areas we haven't hiked but need updating. If we could just get each hiker to let us know after a hike what the status of our post is we'd be in great shape. It really takes very little time to send us a post via: https://bit.ly/3fayrPO

As to pictures - we like to photo document the trail. Those of us that take pictures like to get a picture of everything that is mentioned in the ATC guide books. For instance if the guide book says there is a spring or a blue blazed trail, we like to get a picture of it. Some states we have well documented and others just a few pictures. What we usually don't need are pictures from viewpoints. We tend to get tons of them. I know a lot of hikers like to preview their hikes before hitting the trail. If you see something that isn't on our picture pages - please submit that. Pictures can be submitted here: https://bit.ly/31QVr2u

I can't tell you how much we appreciate getting submissions from hikers. We are a small all volunteer group of people and have always relied on the AT community to help us out to keep information current.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give us.

Hi, I am willing to help. I am willing to submit whatever you need for Boiling Springs to Port Clinton(the area I am field editor for The Companion). I also do shuttles sometimes north (DWG) and south (HF) of there so could help when I go to those areas. Let me know if you need my help or if you already have someone for these areas.

Thank you Mary.

If you would take a look at what we have posted on the Pennsylvania Section of our website before you do a shuttle, let us know if anything needs to be updated or is still OK.
    You can submit that information here:Submit Parking Information.

We need to know 2 things:
    1. is the information still correct - if so we'll just put a new date on it
    2. if the information has changed, what needs to be rewritten?

We and the rest of the hiking community really appreciate your help.

++ New Posts ++