WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Novice hikers wanting to do a 3-4 day AT hike

My husband and I would like to take a 3-4 day section hike on the AT. We have done a few backpack hikes, including a couple sections of the Superior Trail, but haven't overnight hiked a lot. Since we live in the Midwest, it will be a drive to get there regardless of which part. I am looking for ideas on what section would be great for novices. We are hoping for beautiful scenery, as well as just being outdoors. We figure to hike maybe 5-7 miles a day, a pretty relaxed trip. We are in our late 50s, active, but want something not too terribly strenuous. Are most of the services along the way open now? What about shuttle services, if it isn't a loop? Which month July - September would be best?

Also, we are considering inviting our 15 yr. old granddaughter, who has never been before, but she is in good health, and athletic. Good idea? Or bad idea? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

Welcome to the AT. From Iowa, seems like most direct route east takes you towards PA. Be advised that the northern half of PA is notorious for rocky terrain and tough hiking (aka "Rocksylvania"). But southern PA and points south fit your bill. Not too strenuous, scenery, etc. Consider the hike from Harper's Ferry north to the MD-PA state line (Pen-Mar Park), or vice versa. It's approx. 40 miles, and some do it in a day (the 4 State Challenge, PA to VA in one day). You could easily do 8-10 miles per day or more and cover Pen-Mar to Harper's Ferry in 3-4 days. Plenty of shuttle providers in the area who could take you either direction. FYI, the pedestrian/AT bridge at Harper's Ferry is currently out, but scheduled to be back in service by the end of June. There are go-around options if you are hiking there before the bridge is repaired.

Thanks! This might fit the bill because husband would like to hike in WV. He wants to go in September.

The granddaughter thing turned out to be a non-starter, as apparently, we would have to buy a bigger hiking tent for 3, and also I forgot that she has a knee that slips in/out of joint, has been giving her trouble lately with sports. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a girl who can't make it any farther!

If I lived in Iowa I'd head west, not east. Colorado or Wyoming would be more rewarding then an urban hike through MD. As much as I love the AT, most of it is drudgery and the parts that aren't are more remote and difficult.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Agreeing with WMR, PenMar to Harper's Ferry (or the other way) is a good option; I hiked it with my 13yo grandson a couple of years back. If you have any interest in Civil War history, please read up on the Battle of South Mountain, as you will be walking through the gaps where Lee's first invading Army clashed with the advance units of McClellan's forces cautiously moving west to engage. Just north of Harper's Ferry, consider taking a short blue-trail detour to the top of Weverton Cliffs for a good view of the Potomac and a chance to look down on the coal trains headed in to Baltimore. There's also the monument to George Washington that was built by local admirers, much more impressive in many ways than the one in D.C. Lots more, generally easy grades and clear trails. Cautionary note: all ATC shelters are currently closed, the privies are locked, and reopening decisions are waiting on better pandemic status reports.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

We do enjoy history. Thanks for the info about shelters/privies locked. Hopefully, those will be open by September. Is Sept. normally a good weather month for that section?

We do enjoy the west also, but haven't seen much east and would like to.

I live in Iowa too,and have so far walked from Springer Mountain to Delaware Water Gap,New Jersey border. Based on my limited experience,head to Shenandoah National Park. AT runs right through it,hiking is easy,resupply is no issue,water is everywhere,views are great,never far from civilization if you feel the need to bail out. As a fellow Iowan,if you want more info,PM for a phone number,would be happy to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    I live in Iowa too,and have so far walked from Springer Mountain to Delaware Water Gap,New Jersey border. Based on my limited experience,head to Shenandoah National Park. AT runs right through it,hiking is easy,resupply is no issue,water is everywhere,views are great,never far from civilization if you feel the need to bail out. As a fellow Iowan,if you want more info,PM for a phone number,would be happy to discuss.
    I live in the area and I would have to agree with this. Md is ok pretty easy a few views but it is 40 miles and you are talking 5-7 miles a day for 3,4 days so about 28 miles max . That is why I would recommend snp as well you'll could plan a straight section to hike or move around and hike different parts of the park. And they have waysides right off the trail where you can get burgers, fries,and a blackberry milkshakes. Then next trip east try to allow a little more time and hike md and wv which only has 3 miles. And a big. !!

Journal Entries

If driving, you'll spend an awful lot of hours on the road in order to get in just 3 or 4 days and nights backpacking. And, if you're like me, you enjoy hiking and back country camping much more than driving.

So, this time consider going east from Iowa, but not quite as far east as the AT. There are some scenic trails located closer to you that are fine for doing extended hikes, taking walks that are considerably longer than what you're currently planning. For example, the River-to-River Trail runs west-to-east all the way across Southern Illinois. It's still on my personal "to do someday soon" list.

Or, consider doing part of the Sheltowee Trace which extends southward for 320 miles through eastern Kentucky's National Boone National Forest and the northern Tennessee portion of the Big South Fork National Recreation Area. Living in Kentucky I've conveniently section hiked all of the Sheltowee Trace. Some other posters here on White Blaze have instead thru-hiked it. The views there are, at least for me, just as good, although of course different, from ones that I've experienced hiking on the AT in the South and Maryland. From the bottom of gorges up to ridge tops one never ascends more than 300 or 400 vertical feet along the Sheltowee Trace's northern and central sections, and you don't have ascents more than twice that much in the southern section. But, you frequently (in some sections continually) hike UP and DOWN, winding through beautiful forest, often passing cliffs, rock formations, streams and waterfalls.

July temperatures tend to be hot everywhere along the River-to-River Trail, everywhere on the Sheltowee Trace, and also hot at that time of year along all but the higher sections of the southern AT. So, for me September (or even better late Sept. or Oct.) would work better than July for any of those destinations.
    Last edited by Siestita; 06-13-2020 at 21:18.

I liked the hike up from the north gate of SNP o southern PA, its not always remote wilderness bit a mix of farms and mostly hardwood ridges. On occasion old apple orchards and trees were maintained. We went through in the fall with the leaves changing. Water at shelter sites was an issue.

SNP is also an option. Could start at Big Meadows and go north. Possibly to Thornton gap or beyond and get a shuttle back. A nice little section; stony man, mary's rock, etc. Later in the season is better

I live in Front Royal, northern end of the SNP. If you can wait till later in the fall season, you'll miss a LOT of the people traveling to the SNP for the fall colors. Especially on the weekends, it can get backed up for miles to enter the park. Unfortunately, you would also miss the colors!

Scott

If you don't like driving, but you still want to do the AT, take Amtrak. California Zephyr runs thru Iowa, gets into Chicago mid afternoon, Capitol Limited leaves Chicago about 6pm, runs thru the night to Pittsburgh, then the morning thru the Alleghenies. Gets to Harpers Ferry about noon, probably will be late (mine was about 2:30pm)

Get a shuttle back to Harper's Ferry (or DC) and return.

Green and low stress.

Thanks everyone. Lots of great ideas. We are looking at Shenandoah now. Don't really mind the drive. I will have a lot more questions when we decide. September definitely I think. Would nights be pretty cold in October or not? Not that we mind too much, but we camped on a mountain in Utah recently and it got down in the low 30s at night. Have to admit it was pretty miserable.

check appalachian trail.org for trail updates, closures, COVID19 info. click onto "explore", then whatever you want in the drop-down box. great information.

.com

Got it. Will need that info!

Journal Entries

The AT doesn't run in a straight line from north-to-south. It goes in a northeasterly direction, which means in the South, the AT is further to the west than it is up north. In other words, "due east" isn't necessarily the shortest distance.

Drive time from Iowa to Pennsylvania is 13-ish hours.
    Drive time from Iowa to Tennessee is 10-ish hours. (Default locations were middle of each state. You'd have to adjust the time to actually reach the AT.) Pennsylvania is okay, rocky but with a lot of flat area. Tennessee is harder, but more beautiful.

Personally there's not any part of the AT I'd be happy on in a typical July except New England and maybe the Smokies. Anywhere else, I'd vote for September.

To give you more drive time info:

Rockford, IL to Front Royal, VA (north end of SNP) is right around 12 hours depending on Chicago traffic.

Scott

++ New Posts ++