WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hike forums in Colorado

I've been reading the WhiteBlaze site for months and am so impressed with the congenial community and friendships; it seems a safe place to discuss hiking issues, concerns, fun stuff, and find hiking partners. I want to hike the Rockies, not a thru hike, but a couple days, late this summer. I've done a search for hiking groups and there are hundreds related to Colorado. I'm exhausted trying to figure out a "safe community" like WhiteBlaze. Does anyone here have a suggestion where I can start some dialogue and plan a trip to Colorado in August? You guys are so dang knowledgeable and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Flirty
    and am so impressed with the congenial community and friendships; it seems a safe place to discuss hiking issues
    Me and L.Wolf must have been away that week
    Throwing pearls to swine.

There's 700 miles of awesome hiking in Colorado on the CDT. Get the guide by Westcliffe Pub. It's fairly accurate and has lots of resupply and trailhead info. The maps by Trails Illustrated are the most used.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest
    Me and L.Wolf must have been away that week
    Flirty's been onboard ten days. Lone Wolf is hiking and hasn't posted since 3/14, and you've been downright pleasant of late .
    Last edited by Skidsteer; 03-16-2006 at 23:11.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php

Here is the website of a Whiteblaze regular (Mags) who lives in Boulder, CO. He helped me with a 60-mile hike I did last year on the Colorado Trail (Copper Mtn to Twin lakes) with my 15 year old daughter. He is arguably the most knowledgeable hiker about Colorado here on WB.

The Colorado Trail is awesome. You could also plan a circuit hike in any number of other places in the state.

Good luck to ya! Be sure to checkout Mags website.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

FYI, we enjoyed hiking the CT so much, that Team Mowgli is considering tearing off a bigger hunk this summer. 100 miles with my daughter, and perhaps another 100 by myself. The San Juans beckon.

SO many trails. SO little time.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Wink welcome to the jungle

am so impressed with the congenial community and friendships; it seems a safe place... .
    You mean like safe sex?
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    FYI, we enjoyed hiking the CT so much, that Team Mowgli is considering tearing off a bigger hunk this summer. 100 miles with my daughter, and perhaps another 100 by myself. The San Juans beckon.

SO many trails. SO little time.
    If you want some company let me know.

I was thinking of doing the entire CT this summer but may not be able to get the time off. Lasting through spring to summer without quitting beforehand may be the tough part!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words Mowgli!

Yeah..if you any questions, about CO please let me know.

If you have want a long weekend for hiking Colorado (and make a loop) three choices come immediately to mind:

First, the Maroon Bells Loop. Mile for Mile it is THE most beautiful loop in Colorado (imo).

The normal loop is 26 miles and 7000' elev gain. If you break it up into three days, it is a nice loop that is moderately challenging, but very doable. If you can get in a day or two earlier to acclimate, even better. If you have more time/want more a challenge, add the Geneva Lake option. Make it 30 mile and 10000' elev gain..BUT, you get to a beautiful Geneva Lake and see many wildflowers when at peak.
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dawndu...bellsloop.html
    Pics from a day hike I did on this loop (Yeah..I was nuts! )
    http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.p...2_itemId=12441

The second choice, and also one of my favorites is the Indian Peaks loops near Boulder, CO. This loop is about 27 miles and 6700' elev gain (more if you go to crater lake as an out and back). Call this another challenging, but doable 3 day backpacking trip. You go over the divide twice and get some breathtaking scenery. The western side of the divide usually has some stunning wildflowers!
    http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.p...111&g2_page=23
    (Yeah..it was another day hike for me. )

Another great loop is in Rocky Mountain National Park. About 35 miles (if doing side trips, 30 miles if not), similar elev gain. Another three day loop. This one goes on the "official" CDT over Flap Top Mtn from Bear Lake, goes around the western side of the divide (where there is usually Big Horn sheep) and almost goes into Grand Lake. Bear Lake and Flat Top is crowded..but once you are past that point..WOW! I suggested this loop to Chomp here on WB and he loved it. Check out his pics in the RMNP album.
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-west2005

If you want more details, let me know. If you want some less ambitious, but still cool backpacking trips, let me know as well.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    If you want some company let me know.

I was thinking of doing the entire CT this summer but may not be able to get the time off. Lasting through spring to summer without quitting beforehand may be the tough part!
    That might work Sly. I'll probably want to do the father/daughter bonding thing for 7-8 days, and then get out and do another 7-14 by myself or with company. Late July is looking promising. Lets kick it around.

That's cool. I'll talk to you at the AHS Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    That's cool. I'll talk to you at the AHS Conference
    The AHS Conference is in 2007. I'll be at the Hot Springs Trail Fest. I won't be at Trail Days this year, but two of my co-workers will be.

Images

Hey Sly, I know that Mala was planning on heading out to do some of the CT as well - could be an easy ride out there for ya. Then he may come find us out on the cdt either pre or post hike for some breakfast pancakes - yeh baby!
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

The AHS Conference is in 2007. I'll be at the Hot Springs Trail Fest. I won't be at Trail Days this year, but two of my co-workers will be.
    2007! LOL... I almost put in for the weekend off today but noticed the dates didn't jive...

I'll be at Trailfest, manning the ALDHA booth...

Thanks for the heads up Blister. Doing a road trip and hike with Mala would be a gas. He was one of my 1st on-trail mentors... At some lookout in Georgia I asked, How long does the foot pain last?" His answer, "As long as it takes you to hike to Maine!'

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Flirty's been onboard ten days. Lone Wolf is hiking and hasn't posted since 3/14, and you've been downright pleasant of late .
    Ten days registered as a member.... months of reading getting my feet wet and getting up the nerve to attempt posting anything here. Sometimes you guys are tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Thanks for the kind words Mowgli!

If you have want a long weekend for hiking Colorado (and make a loop) three choices come immediately to mind:.
    Thanks so much Mags. I'll grab maps, your suggested trails and get to planning. Love your website.

See, I knew someone here could point me in the right direction. Thanks folks.

Right on, I'm planning a thru hike on the CT this summer, something like the month of July. Keep me posted as to when you all will be there, maybe I'll see ya then!
    the river of doubt gave birth to a beautiful stone
    and in my hands I held it and I knew I was on my own
    so I picked it up and held it to the sky
    and in my reflection. I knew I was all alone

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Mags, a followup question please. I read a hiking handbook that suggested doing Colorado in August was not good due to bugs. Unfortunately, fitting in a week at work is looking like the 1st or last weeks in August is best; a slim chance I can take off the 2nd week in September.

Is there anything to the bug reference? I'm a Texan, seen my share of every bug known, so I can't imagine something that can't be handled. However, just from pure gorgeous views, and weather, is there a big difference between a couple days in the Rockies in August or September? Thanks in advance too!

Mags, a followup question please. I read a hiking handbook that suggested doing Colorado in August was not good due to bugs. Unfortunately, fitting in a week at work is looking like the 1st or last weeks in August is best; a slim chance I can take off the 2nd week in September.

Is there anything to the bug reference? I'm a Texan, seen my share of every bug known, so I can't imagine something that can't be handled. However, just from pure gorgeous views, and weather, is there a big difference between a couple days in the Rockies in August or September? Thanks in advance too!

From Mag's website;

Colorado Trail "End to End" Guide

He has a pros & cons sections that compares summer & fall hiking. Check the link below;

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...d=23&Itemid=30

From Mag's website; Colorado Trail "End to End" Guide
    Dang, I should have done more research before posting. Good stuff there. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++