WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Powdered peanut butter isade by removing fat. It makes no sense if your objective is high calorie density.

Yep, I was using tablespoons and I did three per once instead of two.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Oil (or any pure fat) is around 240 calories per ounce.
    Yep. Man, folks are sure throwing around some weird numbers, they are quite well defined, 9, 4, 4 and 4 calories per gram for fats, proteins, carbs and alcohol. Multiple by 28.3 to get calories per ounce, meaning roughly 250, 110, 110, 110. In practice, 240 and 100 is about right given it's hard to have pure anything.

Carbs, proteins and alcohol are all identical.

Anyway, yep, gotta have all those nutrients long term, but you can load up heavy on the fats to bias the calories/ounce upwards, as already said. Shoot for lots of foods in the 160-200 calories per ounce range, like nuts, chocolate, dried meats, FD eggs, etc. Ritz Bitz crackers are nice and dense, on of my staples!

I used to do a lot of 2-3 week trips without any resupply options, so I really had to condense the calories, but I could never get above about 135 calories/ounce average, including packaging (1.6 pounds of food per day for 20 days=32 pounds of food from the trailhead, yikes!)

If you can get to 135 calories/ounce, that would be an excellent goal.

More relaxed trips, I average 125 calories/ounce (again, this all includes packaging; you really have to also concentrate on minimal weight packaging!).

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep. Man, folks are sure throwing around some weird numbers, they are quite well defined, 9, 4, 4 and 4 calories per gram for fats, proteins, carbs and alcohol...
    I think for alcohol (190 proof) it's more like 7 call/g. It's metabolized more like like fat. Both are oxidized to make acetyl CoA. Ethanol has slightly fewer calories as it doesn't need to be oxidized quite so much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I think for alcohol (190 proof) it's more like 7 call/g. It's metabolized more like like fat. Both are oxidized to make acetyl CoA. Ethanol has slightly fewer calories as it doesn't need to be oxidized quite so much.
    Yikes, and all these years I've been enjoying my Scotch assuming 4 ! Well, that answers a few questions....

The Scotch isn't 95%, so it probably is closer to 3 call/g.

Journal Entries

Yikes, and all these years I've been enjoying my Scotch assuming 4 ! Well, that answers a few questions....
    Most of your standard spirits are basically 50% to 60% water or more, thus the ability to equate it to the calories in sugar. But it is possible to get spirits with less water 151 rum is about 25% water, and everclear is about 9% water.

Yep, 87 proof would be 43.5% alcohol.

Blubber may be the highest caloric food, if one can stand chewing it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Most of your standard spirits are basically 50% to 60% water or more, thus the ability to equate it to the calories in sugar. But it is possible to get spirits with less water 151 rum is about 25% water, and everclear is about 9% water.
    Yep, I understand proofs and all of that, but I did previously think the actual alcohol content was at 4 cal/gm, rather than the 7, so joking aside, I'm getting 7/4ths more calories from my Scotch consumption than I thought....

This all leads to a question: Rather than carrying the nasty-tasting Everclear types of high alcohol beverages, I wonder if there would be a chance of "concentrating" Scotch Whisky (or other Whiskeys...), meaning some how removing the water content before a hike, carrying a flask of virtually pure alcohol but with the yummy Scotch flavor still present, then add water at camp.

Basically, dehydrated Whisky! Yum.

You could do that. Whiskey comes out of the barrel at around 130 - 140 proof and is then diluted to the desired proof. You can actually buy barrel proof whiskey and save yourself the trouble. I have a bottle of barrel proof Jack Daniels and it is 132.5 proof. Brandy came about in efforts to save shipping costs in the wine trade.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    You could do that. Whiskey comes out of the barrel at around 130 - 140 proof and is then diluted to the desired proof. You can actually buy barrel proof whiskey and save yourself the trouble. I have a bottle of barrel proof Jack Daniels and it is 132.5 proof. Brandy came about in efforts to save shipping costs in the wine trade.
    Well, there ya go, good information. So, 70% (140 proof) alcohol weight at 7 calories/gram, 1 gram of barrel proof Whiskey = 4.9 calories, better than carbs! Quick search, yep, there are tons of brands of cask-strength Whisky's around to buy in the US. Most concentrated I see is at 65%, close enough. thanks for the info!

Doncha love the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Doncha love the internet!
    Yes---talk about thread drift. Let's all carry whiskey and booze to augment our backpacking diets. Personally, I don't consider ethanol to be "food".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Yes---talk about thread drift. Let's all carry whiskey and booze to augment our backpacking diets. Personally, I don't consider ethanol to be "food".
    Some of us enjoy Whisky and the like, and now we (I) know that it can indeed be weight effective, so this is NOT thread drift, and is right in line with discussions. And one does burn alcohol as fuel in the body, so it is food, energy wise.

Yes, I know you consider any form of alcohol to be "poison". Not all of us have such issues. Your post is drift, not the previous ones. But indeed, the subject has been quite well beaten to death, so I'll shut up about it.

A local legend,General Robert Lee Scott,walked the entire Wall of China in 94 days at the age of 72 and mostly ate fruit cake type cookies he had made.Yeah,I know,everybody is tired of fruit cake but it's calorie dense and goes well with alcohol.

Some of us enjoy Whisky and the like, and now we (I) know that it can indeed be weight effective, so this is NOT thread drift, and is right in line with discussions. And one does burn alcohol as fuel in the body, so it is food, energy wise.

Yes, I know you consider any form of alcohol to be "poison". Not all of us have such issues. Your post is drift, not the previous ones. But indeed, the subject has been quite well beaten to death, so I'll shut up about it.
    Some of us do not enjoy whiskey and the like---plus I consider myself the voice of abstinence---and support those individuals who have battled alcohol addiction and have come out the other side.

I belong to the Holy Order of Jack Daniels.

Greetings Felllow Travelers SerenitySeeker's Avatar

As long as we're drifting...while I have my pack base at 25 and desired food weight 10_20 depending on restock points(fruitcake will be in there lol)
    My question now is where are the threads about recomended base wagon load weight and trails wide and smooth enough to pull my little red wagon load with my solar panel, air fryer, compost toilet, solar shower, screen tent, folding chair, cot, air conditioner, 20 gallons of water...
    Or should I just load on a two wheel dolly?
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I personally don't consider tuna packs to be food, but others do and I would not object to them being mentioned.

However I did say that the use of ethanol would be questionable. And I know it's not without it's issues, and those issues express themselves differently in different people. But consider this, many when they start a long distance hike find it difficult to get down enough calories. They are just not used to having that much food, and many feel uncomfortable due to this. For those, if they can, a 200 to 300 calorie night cap may be a good and relaxing method to get calories in when other foods may seem repulsive (due to feeling one is eating way too much). For many it is easy to get down and can help settle the stomach.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++