WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mountain Top Views

What would be your top 3 places to camp on the AT in VA, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT or MA to get the best sunset views? Would like to take a newbie so a 15 mile hike to get there probably won't happen.

Thanks

I am not sure of the up to date camping regulations for all of those states so I don't want to speak too loosely about camping options.

But I know that the shelter south of Bear Mountain you can see New York city on a clear night. i think that's pretty cool

Chestnut knob down in southern VA is pretty spectacular and if you park at walker gap, it is a very short hike.

Calf mountain in SNP has a little field on the south side that would be a great sunset

It is at the very lowest end of your destination restrictions but pretty much anywhere in grayson highlands va including briers ridge, whitetop, or the pin crest trail would be a great newbie trip

I am pretty sure CT and MA are designated sites only, and 1 of the 2 or maybe both or no fires allowed FYI.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Shelters tend to be located in sheltered areas (duh) and often face east, as storms generally come in from the west. So there aren't many with direct views, but there are a few. Riga shelter (last in CT) in nicknamed the sunrise shelter, as it will be right in your eyes. West Mountain shelter in NY with the NYC skyline view (assuming no haze) also faces east, so it has sunrise potential. I saw the skyline, don't remember the sunrise.

A few shelters have good views a short distance away. If you stay at the Balsam Lodge on Mt Greylock, it has the potential for a good sunset.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Shelters tend to be located in sheltered areas (duh) and often face east, as storms generally come in from the west. So there aren't many with direct views, but there are a few. Riga shelter (last in CT) in nicknamed the sunrise shelter, as it will be right in your eyes. West Mountain shelter in NY with the NYC skyline view (assuming no haze) also faces east, so it has sunrise potential. I saw the skyline, don't remember the sunrise.

A few shelters have good views a short distance away. If you stay at the Balsam Lodge on Mt Greylock, it has the potential for a good sunset.
    Hoping to find sunset views.

Mt Greylock would be an outstanding sunset however there is no campin allowed up there, and a road goes to the very top so the climb up is lackluster once you summit. It is nice up there tho

perhaps the pinnacle in PA?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

rice field shelter just outside of pearisburg va is the best ive seen.andover maine from the fire pit at yukons hostel(the human nature) pretty close

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

There's a campsite on the north end of Black Mt. in Harriman State Park, NY that has views of about 180*. I was there during the early afternoon, but maybe you can see a sunset from there. It's between William Brien shelter and the trail to West Mt. shelter (which really does have fantastic views over the valley of the Hudson river, but is an eastwards view.) There's also a more promising campsite just off the AT on the Timp-Torne trail in Harriman (on the way to West Mt. shelter) that has an excellent view southwest and would probably be a fantastic place to catch a sunset. You can consult the Harriman State Park map to see what I'm talking about.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Like what has already been said shelters are typically over the hill facing east hence sunrise. So those states that allow pick a stealth spot facing west of your choosing. Lnt of course.

Be sure to understand where camping along the AT is allowed, there are many closures of shelters and designated camping areas that need to be observed. Some of these closures can be confusing between National Park, National Forest, State Parklands, Gamelands, and local ATC management sections. It's probably best to check with the ATC website at https://appalachiantrail.org/explore.../a-t-closures/.

A quick look of legal camping shows the following:

In March 2020 the National Park Service closed 56 of it's shelters to camping from VA to ME. These closures may or may not remain in place long term but should be looked into before heading out. Also, some States have closed camping areas or greatly restricted their use which may also be problematic. These conditions are pretty fluid but current information is:

VA - NPS closed it's 11 shelters along the AT, camping only in designated sites/areas (many VA State parks/lands are closed to camping)
    MD - All shelters remain closed, camping allowed only at State owned designated camping sites (no dispersed camping)
    PA - NPS closed it's 8-shelters and allows camping only in designated camping areas (DWG camping prohibited for now)
    NJ - NPS closed it's only shelter, current information shows the AT open but closed to camping (DWG camping prohibited for now)
    NY - NPS closed it's 5-shelters in NY, Harriman/Bear Mtn SPs closed to camping, some primitive camping allowed in Catskills and Adirondacks
    CT - NPS shelters remain closed, camping only in designated areas - no fires, Sharon Mtn/Ceasar Brook sites closed until July 8
    MA - All shelters and camping areas remain closed UFN

Finding legal camping with a western sunset view in these States may be problematic until late summer if not longer. You may be able to find some sunset views with a short hike from a legal camping area if night hiking over varying terrain is on your menu.

Keep in mind, more than a few folks want what you are looking for and will overwhelm those spots.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can go anywhere you can see the horizon and watch a sun-set.
    I've seen a lot of boring sun sets in my time.
    It's not the place that is important, but instead the luck of the weather.
    And because of that, sometimes the best sunrise/sunset will be from a surprise location.

One of the prettiest sun rises I've experienced was at Pecks Corner in GSMNP.
    Now IMHO, Pecks is one of the worst shelters in GSMNP. IT's a ways off the AT, dark, and seems to have more mice than the average GSMNP shelter.
    The shelter is also a little lower than the mountains around it.
    But the shelter faces an eastern direction, and one morning tI
    But because the shelter faces an eastern direction, and one morning I happened to be there, the sky had just a perfect color to look beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    What would be your top 3 places to camp on the AT in VA, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT or MA to get the best sunset views? Would like to take a newbie so a 15 mile hike to get there probably won't happenThanks
    One vt option that's not too far from a main road:Pico shelter area in VT had a nice sunset. From the fields (ski trails) or the overlook near there, or possibily right from the front of the shelter. 2.6 miles one way with a lot of elevation gain (1800 ft) but not technical trail. Next to the AT but is a side trail. You can make it a loop or go up to killington peak too if you're up for it

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/v...l-to-pico-peak

The Backpacker Campground in New Jersey faces west and has good (but not great) sunset views. It's in Worthington State Forest, near the scenic Sunfish Pond. This campground was closed b/c of coronavirus, and one of the main parking areas has been closed as well (along Rt. 80). NJ is reopening, so this may change very soon.

In the Delaware Water Gap, camping is permitted off the trail, but spots are limited b/c of the terrain. And, sunset overlooks aren't too common. There are a couple with decent views, but not spectacular.

The West Mountain shelter in New York was mentioned a couple times. It's a bit of a hike to get there--decent ups and downs on the AT (def. for the new hiker you're bringing along), and the shelter is 0.6 miles off the AT, and there's no easy, reliable water source there.

In Warwick, NY, the sunset view from that ice cream place (Bellvale Creamery) just off the trail is really great. The ice cream place is packed with a long line on weekend summer nights. During a quieter time (maybe mid-week) it's a relaxing place to go after hiking. If you hike north from the Rt. 17A/Continental Road crossing, the AT is flat for a mile or so and then opens up to some spectacular views on a rock outcrop (just south of the named 'Cat Rocks' overlook)--the sunset views aren't the best from the trail there, BUT, you could hike to that nice view and then loop back and get ice cream and watch the sunset view from the field next to the ice cream place.

++ New Posts ++