WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2021 Brood X Cicada season

Brood X is a swarm of cicadas that emerge every 17 years. 2021 is the next year that they will emerge. I'm not sure if anyone remember's the swarm in 2004 but they were loud and everywhere. They emerge in early summer on the East coast so basically right when everyone is going to be on the trail.

Is anyone planning a hike next season around cicadas or giving them any thought at all? What do we think?

Images

the 17 yr cicada eruptions occur in different locations - parts of Asheville/Linville Gorge had this 3 years ago. It was actually fascinating how very regional the eruptions were. my neighborhood was inundated, 2 miles away - none.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zeevo View Post
    Brood X is a swarm of cicadas that emerge every 17 years. 2021 is the next year that they will emerge. I'm not sure if anyone remember's the swarm in 2004 but they were loud and everywhere. They emerge in early summer on the East coast so basically right when everyone is going to be on the trail.

Is anyone planning a hike next season around cicadas or giving them any thought at all? What do we think?
    Yep. I was living in Ohio for the 1970 brood there (maybe same brood as in MD, but at least the same time), then 1987 and 2004 (visiting both times), I'll have to get back there for 2021 ! Fun stuff. People were putting them on pizzas. Amazing how well the little nymphs somehow count those years.

Journal Entries

I had a swarm in PA AT in 2013. I didn't get the letter but it was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep. I was living in Ohio for the 1970 brood there (maybe same brood as in MD, but at least the same time), then 1987 and 2004 (visiting both times), I'll have to get back there for 2021 ! Fun stuff. People were putting them on pizzas. Amazing how well the little nymphs somehow count those years.
    Putting them on Pizza?? What! I'm really thinking that these could disrupt thru hikes but this makes me think that I shouldn't really care and not move any of my 2021 plans?

When nature demonstrates spectacular events like this, I sometimes think it's to remind those able to think beyond themselves there are things far greater than than the human species itself. Being one of the few creatures who can physically change the environment on a large scale to meet our needs we should use some of that capability and ingenuity to preserve an environment all flora and fauna can thrive in.

Mother natures trail magic. 50 to 60% protein, 44% sat. Fat, 54%unsat. Fat, iodine, phosphorus, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, calcium, magnesium and selenium, low carb and about 50 calories a piece.I think i would smoke them first.

Images

at them when they are grubs

Quote Originally Posted by zeevo View Post
    Brood X is a swarm of cicadas that emerge every 17 years. 2021 is the next year that they will emerge. I'm not sure if anyone remember's the swarm in 2004 but they were loud and everywhere. ............
    I was living in Northern Virginia then and it was amazing. I was out with the dog one night and I noticed the grass in our front yard was wiggling. A closer look revealed hundreds if not thousands of cicadas all emerging from the ground at the same time. Within a few hours they had climbed up on the trees and shrubs to break out of their shells. The next couple of weeks they collectively made a loud sound like an idling diesel truck day and night. They drilled every twig on every tree around to lay their eggs.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Definitely would not adjust thru hike because of this. If anything it’s a reason to go. Probably would not make my food plans dependent on it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Definitely would not adjust thru hike because of this. If anything it’s a reason to go. Probably would not make my food plans dependent on it tho.
    Thanks this is what I was wondering!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is a brood of cicadas emerging EVERY year... each brood with a 13 or 17 year cycle.

The only thing "special" I can find about Brood X is that they have the greatest range and concentration of the 17 year cycle cicadas, and a good bit of their range includes areas the AT goes thru.
    Found this web page that lists the various brood and included a distribution map of each one.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I watched that. It made me cringe, especially when the grubs went in their mouths and they crunched down on their heads. Oh gross! Just gross!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I watched that. It made me cringe, especially when the grubs went in their mouths and they crunched down on their heads. Oh gross! Just gross!
    And here I thought anchovies were nasty enough...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    And here I thought anchovies were nasty enough...
    Anchovies..fishy, grubs...like Spam

Images

I was in Iquitos for a few months in the early 90s but missed the grubs!
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

A week before they emerge, you may find the grubs under stones or landscape walkway slabs.

++ New Posts ++