WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking Area After Davenport Gap

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a section from I-40 to Devil's Fork Gap (Mile 240.5-311.1). Guthook has a parking area listed at the Pigeon River Bridge, just before I-40. I don't recall this parking area from past hikes and can't find it on the satellite view of Google Maps. Not too keen on parking at Standing Bear. Does anyone happen to know if this parking area exists and where it is in relation to the bridge??

Much Appreciated!

You can park at the Big Creek ranger station parking lot. It does add a road walk or short hitch to the trail though.

I have heard reports of cars being broke into if left parked at the bridge.

We did see cars parked along the side of the road just north of I40. They were on the shoulder. I don't recall an actual parking lot there.

Bummer that the Rohlands AT access site is down permanently, it was great reference for questions like this.

There’s parking right at the road crossing at Devils Fork Gap, and 6 miles further at Sams Gap, Rt 26, if that helps. I’ve parked at Standing Bear also with no problems.

Images

there's parking right around and under the bridge-----it's not a "formal" parking lot but rather just a big area with gravel....

there's also a small parking lot for the rafters near the dam but not sure if its alright for hikers and others to park there...

that being said----i would not park at the bridge or davenport gap at all...........

that whole general area is notorious for break ins...

park at big creek picnic area or the ranger station...

while break ins can happen anywhere---those last two places are fairly safe......

Hi - I'm planning to park at Standing Bear for a few days next month at $5/night

Images

+1 on this.Parking anywhere at unattended lots in TN/NC is risky. Not much vandalism lately but with the recent downturn in the employment/jobs situation that could change.I picked up an injured hiker at Rich Mtn firetower last Sunday and took her to Hot Springs. One of the shuttle drivers charged her $90 to be taken to Camp Creek Bald from Hot Springs. I'd check prices with several before handing over any cash.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheRealDeal View Post
    Hi - I'm planning to park at Standing Bear for a few days next month at $5/night

This is a really great option. Parking at Big Creek, hiking up to davenport just to walk back down the same hill to the car and then drive by i40 to go home would not be a great end of trip moral boost lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Appalachian Trail Parking Database

Default The Rohland's Appalachian Trail Parking/Access website is still live

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Bummer that the Rohlands AT access site is down permanently, it was great reference for questions like this.
    I just wanted to let you know that http://AppalachianTrail.rohland.org is still available. We were able to get 3 dedicated editors to work on keeping the site up to date.

So please keep sending us your updates/pictures/parking safety ratings. Even if information hasn't changed, we still need to know that so we can update the date on entries. We rely on your submissions to keep our information current.

Images

FWI

I have seen reports on facebook about vandalism recently at both the Big Creek picnic parking area and at the ranger station.

Last week a catalytic converter was stolen last week from a car parked overnight at the former ranger station.

Appalachian Trail Parking Database

Default Reporting problems at parking area

Please report any specific problems with a parking area to http://AppalachianTrail.rohland.org
    Just click on the state, section and then find the problem mile marker/parking area and click on the Capture.JPG button. Everyone is concerned about parking safely so you'll be helping so many hikers in the future. Even if there have been previous people that have already rated this particular parking area it's good to have updated information. All of the safety ratings are averaged together for the display so the more ratings the more accurate the rating for the parking area.

We depend on hikers to be our eyes and ears. Our website reports what you tell us. We are only a small band of volunteers that keep the site running so please keep sending us information. We and all of the other hikers that use this site thank you.

++ New Posts ++