WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backcountry Camping and AMC staffing in the Whites these days

I'm planning an 120 mile loop between Gorham and Lincoln NH next week and have come across a lot of differing information about rules and staffing in WMNF and AMC through the Whites this year with CoVid going on. What are huts and staffed campsites looking like for anyone who has been out there recently look like now? Do you think that it will be possible to camp near the huts?
    CatNap
    GA-ME

First thing you'll want to make sure of is if you can satisfy ME and NH quarantine rules. Will you have self-quarantined for the 14 days prior to your travel date? A yes will get you into NH. ME requires you to self-quarantine for 14 days on arrival but if you get a negative result on a Covid-19 test taken no more than 72 hours before your arrival you are a good to go.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

You need to call them and find out for sure. The number is on the website https://outdoors.org I almost stopped at Pinkham Notch to ask when I drove by this afternoon, but a thunderstorm kept me going. Speaking of thunderstorms we've been getting a lot of them lately and all next week looks down right awful. All the Huts are closed and no, you can not camp near them. You can get into serious trouble if you try. That makes the Gorham to Crawford notch section extremely hard to do, since basically there is no where to camp in 40 miles.

My advice - stay home or go somewhere else.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

From todays paper

"Thayer (AMCs local rep on the Mt Washington Commission ) reported that although the AMC high huts will not open, there will be limited service at Madison Spring and Lakes of the Clouds: bathrooms open, water available outside, and trail information. An AMC caretaker and a volunteer will be on hand"

RMC has previously reported that they will have a caretaker rotating between the Perch, Gray Knob Cabin and Crag Camp to ensure no one uses the facilities. Madison Hut and LOC are both Restricted Use Areas so no camping within 1/4 mile (plus they are both above treeline). AMC has not announced any openings of the shelters and campsites along the AT and previously announced that the campsites are closed since they are not staffed.

Looks like your only legal option is drop off the ridge outside of a RUA and treeline and go with dispersed camping.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    First thing you'll want to make sure of is if you can satisfy ME and NH quarantine rules. Will you have self-quarantined for the 14 days prior to your travel date? A yes will get you into NH. ME requires you to self-quarantine for 14 days on arrival but if you get a negative result on a Covid-19 test taken no more than 72 hours before your arrival you are a good to go.
    Would 14 days backpacking by oneself, no resupply, satisfy the ME requirement? If so that would seem to satisfy both as long as you resupply when you enter NH. It is a long way to go for AT travel between resupply on the most difficult part of the trail, but seems like one could make that work.

The way the rule is written currently, a month backpacking with a claim of no contact with anyone would not suffice if you are not a resident of ME, NH, or VT (which now has a growing number of infections). You'd theoretically have to sit it out for 2-weeks isolation (along with the costs of food and lodging) or get a test which average costs hovers around $150.00 - $200.00. Maine makes it pretty clear their testing services are NOT for those from away and people should seek testing in their State of residence. Oddly, children (a primary vector) are exempted from these rules, but seasonal residents traveling in and out of the State are not.

As I understand the rule, places of lodging (hotels, campgrounds) people will have to sign a certificate (affidavit?) they have tested negative within 72 hours prior to entering Maine. There is no self certification for 2-week isolation. The lodging interface appears to be the only place people will be asked to sign the document.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Would 14 days backpacking by oneself, no resupply, satisfy the ME requirement? If so that would seem to satisfy both as long as you resupply when you enter NH. It is a long way to go for AT travel between resupply on the most difficult part of the trail, but seems like one could make that work.
    Easiest thing would be to get tested prior in my opinion rather than carrying 14 days of food. However, it doesn't seem like a 14 day resupply will work when reading their FAQ. The intent in general is to not have visitors out and about while potentially infected.
    Can I quarantine at my hotel, campground, or at my rental during my visit to Maine instead of getting a test?

Yes. You may choose to quarantine at your rental or place of lodging if you follow Maine’s CDC guidelines for quarantine. For rural camps and remote rental locations with private kitchen and bathroom facilities, quarantine may be possible for the duration of a visit to Maine. Visitors who are quarantining during their stay in Maine must comply with Maine’s quarantine requirements and they may not visit Maine restaurants, businesses, and crowded public spaces and they may not use shared facilities and dining rooms.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Thank you for the responses. Here are some links to my route and planning docs with tentative dates that I'll be up there, feel free to use/share them as you like:
    Gaia GPS route: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/GNtwFSDeXMvv5zkmb0ct1xys
    Google Sheets Notes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

My plan at this point is to rely on dispersed, backcountry camping throughout the hike. I spoke with the owner at Rattle River Hostel where I will leave my car and get shuttled back to when I get out. He said that I will only need to sign a form saying that I have been self-quarantined for 14 day before starting my hike in NH. I am in upstate NY and have taken quarantine/ physical distancing very seriously and received a negative antibody test 2 weeks ago. I believe that I will find good camping between Gorham and Crawford for my first night, but will have to down-hike from Madison/ LOC/ Mizpah to get below treeline and find camping. I will call this week to confirm with NFS and AMC especially if AT shelters and AMC campsites (such as Nauman tentsites) are available for dispersed camping. I am taking the physical distancing very seriously but also want to do the best job with LNT practices and camp at established sites when available.

Please comment on my map and plans with any further suggestions!
    CatNap
    GA-ME

Garfield pond is boggy, the water source for Garfield shelter is usually reliable and far better. Instead of road walk back to Gorham you can take the Pine Link down to PinkhamB/dolly Copp road and then take the Pine Mtn trail to Gorham. The Pine lInk trailhead is connected to the Pine mountain trail by a dirt road Some early AT maps show this as the AT but I think the final route was the one down the Osgood.

There is no good downhike from LOC as the Ammonusuc Ravine trail is RUA way down off the ridgeline. There is dry camping below treeline on Jewell trail. There is wide spot in the trail and usually a fire ring but the canopy is just high enough to fit in tents in the surrounding woods. Its in bad place weather wise as bad weather almost always come right at it from the west.

Wamsutta Trail down into the Great Gulf/Jefferson Ravine is steep in spots, The Buttress trail is less used and under maintained, its bone dry with no camping options. Expect to get you legs scraped from underbrush taking over the trail in spots.

Folks do camp off Edmonds Path which has some reliable water sources not far off the AT, the actual camping spots are farther down the trail in the woods.

The hike through the Still water area is quite remote but its mostly via the old railroad grades. The hike up to Norcross pond is impressive former logging dugway. There are campsites at the south end of Norcross Pond and the view from the outlet of the pond is hard to beat.

The Davis Path is really dry from Mt Crawford to Washinton, you may need to drop down to Rocky Branch to get water after Mt Isolation.

That route looks kind of sketchy to me. You have some real hard days and few camping options. Add the afternoon T-storms and scattered showers all next week, doesn't look good.

A better option is do an overnight hike were feasible and do a lot of day hikes and work around the weather. End of the week might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by CornerCreek27 View Post
    Thank you for the responses. Here are some links to my route and planning docs with tentative dates that I'll be up there, feel free to use/share them as you like:
    Gaia GPS route: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/GNtwFSDeXMvv5zkmb0ct1xys
    Google Sheets Notes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

My plan at this point is to rely on dispersed, backcountry camping throughout the hike. I spoke with the owner at Rattle River Hostel where I will leave my car and get shuttled back to when I get out. He said that I will only need to sign a form saying that I have been self-quarantined for 14 day before starting my hike in NH. I am in upstate NY and have taken quarantine/ physical distancing very seriously and received a negative antibody test 2 weeks ago. I believe that I will find good camping between Gorham and Crawford for my first night, but will have to down-hike from Madison/ LOC/ Mizpah to get below treeline and find camping. I will call this week to confirm with NFS and AMC especially if AT shelters and AMC campsites (such as Nauman tentsites) are available for dispersed camping. I am taking the physical distancing very seriously but also want to do the best job with LNT practices and camp at established sites when available.

Please comment on my map and plans with any further suggestions!
    Sounds good on the quarantine and sorry I was thinking that Gorham in NH stretched into Maine. Gorham NH is about 8 miles from the border however. I had even searched quick on Gorham ME and it returned links but I didn't look it up on the map. It's been a long time since I drove through it.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That route looks kind of sketchy to me. You have some real hard days and few camping options. Add the afternoon T-storms and scattered showers all next week, doesn't look good.

A better option is do an overnight hike were feasible and do a lot of day hikes and work around the weather. End of the week might be better.
    I have already started planning....starting the trip out with lots of day hikes....New miles are new miles, its the gaps left when you come home to fear
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I was out on a hike yesterday in the eastern side of the whites (the Baldfaces), things were late August dry. A shelter source looked dry and even a usually reliable high flow stream was the lowest I have seen this time of the year. Two normally major water crossings were easy rock hops. The forecast for the week is chance of afternoon showers so hopefully that renews some of the sources but plan on sticking with reliable sources, the one up high on the ridgeline are going to be far less reliable.

BTW , the OPs route is a very aggressive route, hopefully he has a lot of experience in the whites. if this was just laid out on some mapping program as the least distance to get from various points without a lot of experience in the area is in for shock. When I see someone using the Wamasutta and Buttress trails for a backpack it sounds like possibly the latter. If so he may want to buy a Hike Safe card to minimize his rescue costs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    As I understand the rule, places of lodging (hotels, campgrounds) people will have to sign a certificate (affidavit?) they have tested negative within 72 hours prior to entering Maine. There is no self certification for 2-week isolation. The lodging interface appears to be the only place people will be asked to sign the document.
    Those who are visiting Maine from out of state (those who reside in Vermont and New Hampshire are exempt) currently have to self-quarantine for 14 days, or they must provide proof of having tested negative for the virus no later than 72 hrs prior to arrival.

The signing of the certificate is for those who say they have self-quarantined for the past 14 days.

Many campgrounds and lodging facilities (in Maine) are requiring advanced reservations and will not allow walk-ins at this time. Probably a good idea to double-check with any places you are thinking of staying in order to see what their individual requirements might be.

The Cyr bus currently has plans to resume their daily stops to Bangor and Medway on July 2nd.

I climbed North and South Twins yesterday and my partner said "lets do Galehead too while we're here - it's just over there". Actually, it's way over there.

Getting to Galehead meant getting on the AT for a ways with a 1,120 foot decent in 0.8 miles to get to the Galehead hut and then another 1/2 mile climb to the viewless summit of Galehead. Hardly worth the effort, but it's on the damn list. Then of course, we had to climb back up to get to back to South Twin.

Anyway, during the relatively short time we were on the AT leg we meet three groups of backpackers doing the ridge traverse. Apparently the AMC has opened the tent sites, or so they claimed.

++ New Posts ++