WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Shoes at night & in or out

Has anyone found crawly things in your shoes in AM? Shoes in the tent or outside?

Shoes out, unless it's really cold. The crawly things are the ones who should be affraid.

I keep my shoes inside always. In 2012 I was hiking the AT with someone who kept their shoes outside the tent. A few hundred miles into the hike they put them on with a baby rattlesnake inside one shoe. The bite on the ankle was enough to end their hike for the year. In the west it isn't that unusual for critters to chew on the shoes for the salt, or even to steal them.
    Trail name Catnapper

Shoes usually come in the tent. I put them under my mat at the top to prop up my neck more. Unless they're particular gross and i don't feel like dealing with 'em.
    Everything ends up in the tent other than food. I put my pack at the end of my sleeping mat to extend the mat (i'm 6'4 and my feet tend to dangle)

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Outside, but they're hanging from the suspension strap at the foot end of the hammock and under the end of the tarp. I've never had anything get into them during the night, since nothing really climbs down the straps that far. Certainly makes sure that no snakes get in.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Shoes always inside tent inside a plastic bag.
    Considering starting to put poles in tent too, so no animals are attracted by the salt on the cork handles. Currently just put poles between rainfly and tent.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

For over 3 decades I have left shoes outside my tent. Every morning I religiously shake them out. But, I have yet to actually see anything fall out of my shoes. Do they get a visit during the night? Not that I am aware of but who knows.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

The one night I left my poles laying on the ground, a herd of teenage mutant ninja mice chewed through the grips all the way to the carbon fiber to get the salt from my sweaty hands. Now my poles always stand upright under my hammock tarp. My shoes go on top of them. Keeps both safe from evil critters. Helps air them out too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m typically a hammock sleeper and keep my shoes under my hammock at night. Back in 2014 in the Dolly Sods, I woke up to some animal noises, decided to go take a leak, and couldn’t find my shoes. I found one of them a few feet away and eventually found the other one about 20 yards away... in the mouth of a skunk. I eventually got my shoes back with nobody getting hurt or sprayed. I guess the skunk either fell in love with my stinky feet or maybe just wanted the salt from my sweat. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surprised how one-sided the responses have been. I keep mine outside the tent, shake them out in the morning. Never found anything.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Shoes usually come in the tent. I put them under my mat at the top to prop up my neck more. Unless they're particular gross and i don't feel like dealing with 'em.
    Everything ends up in the tent other than food. I put my pack at the end of my sleeping mat to extend the mat (i'm 6'4 and my feet tend to dangle)
    This is exactly what I do as well. Though not a strict camp habit for me. sometimes I'll leave them right outside the tent door under the fly, cause I usually have to get out to pee a couple times. ( especially if they're particularly gross).

Journal Entries
    Images

I put my boots in a plastic bag inside at the foot of my tent. If you leave them outside the gremlins might get them.

I’m an “everything inside the tent” guy.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When I hiked the JMT, I had heard of reports that marmots might do things like chew shoelaces of boots left out.
    Since I carry a sitting pad that doubles as a knee pads to help get in and out of my tent, and I use a two man tent for solo hiking, I simply brought the knee pads inside the tent, places it on the tent floor "dirty side up" and placed my boots on the mat

Since my first desert trip in 82, I learned myself into the habit of shaking out the shoes whenever I put them on.
    Aside of the occassional spider that hid itself in the shoes back home, I've never found anything falling out.
    When hiking, I put the shoes under the fly, inside the tent only when freezing.
    A fox stole my wife's socks once while cowboy camping in the desert.

Journal Entries

I have a Zpacks Duplex tent with plenty of room inside, so I keep everything inside with the exception of my food, which I put in my bear canister and place it in the woods at least 100 ft. from my tent...I left my shoes outside in my vestibule one night in SNP, and a critter chewed off my shoelaces...

Simply Light Designs makes a boot hammock,a gear hammock,and various zippered bags for just such an occasion.I have used them and they work just fine for hammock campers.The boot and gear hammocks also have zippers so everything is relatively secure from the creatures.

Garlic
    Images

Marmots definitely chew shoes and eat socks. And pole straps.

If I can stand the smell, I keep them inside. If they have to stay outside, I check them before I put them on.

scorpion.jpg
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Shoes always go inside the tent for me
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

In the vestibule. Tap them out in the morning to see if something crawled in. Never had a problem.

I always kept them right outside the tent under the vestibule and I always took out the insoles to air out and to help disturb and notice anything when I put them back in and shook them out. I might reconsider in the future cause the salt is a good point and my trekking pole handles were always right next to the shoes...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++