WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Spot v. Garmin

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spot v. Garmin

I've about decided to purchase a Garmin instead of a Spot. If you think this is a major mistake, please reply.

I don't have a cellphone/smartphone, so the Garmin will be used basically for: occasional messages to my family that I'm okay (important to my spouse) and messages to shuttle provider that I'm on schedule for pickup or need to change the schedule. The ability to receive texts is good and a real plus to my spouse (Spot lacks that ability). The tracking feature and SOS capability are icing - nice to have but not essential. I don't need maps. Typically, I'll be doing three-day to week-long section hikes on the AT or similar locales.
    Spot is much cheaper and the battery life seems a bit longer, but it isn't very flexible for sending messages. Basically three pre-set options and one customized message that basically can't be changed on the trail.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. I'm sure this topic has been covered many times, but a quick search didn't show up anything except some conversations about various Spot/Garmin plans changing over the past few years; hence a desire to get up-to-date info.
    Last edited by Dan Roper; 06-24-2020 at 13:31.

++ New Posts ++