WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pack at night?

Default Pack at night?

So there's been a thread started about shoes at night, what to do with which I think is a great topic and discussion. So why not discuss what we do with the pack at night . I myself i typically bring my pack in the tent at night sometimes at my feet sometimes at my head for a pillow. But I've also hung my pack at night on a tree limb , short string and carabiner around a tree, I've even hung my whole pack before bear bag style, or I've simply kept under my vestibule at night before. What do y'all do?
    Last edited by JNI64; 06-25-2020 at 01:59.

Images

pretty much all that you describe in some shape i have done...

but found i like to have my stuff within my sight line and/or right beside me...

hang food...

but most other stuff comes with me....

i know im not going to get robbed out in the backcountry, but i like to have my stuff contained and near me...

same with animals trying to get to it.......

Garlic
    Images

I use a light frameless pack so it's a no-brainer to bring that in. The same critters that like salty shoes, pole straps and socks will go after pack straps too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Gear hammock under main hammock holds my shoes on top of pack as well as a liter of water because I will always want water at night in the woods.Zipper keeps it reasonably secure.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Usually hang it with a carabiner from the foot end hang strap of the hammock at the tree. I put on the pack cover to keep the critters away from things like the straps. If it's raining, I'll hang it at the hammock end of the strap instead (under the tarp) with the straps facing out and the cover on backwards. I pretty much keep everything off the ground one way or another. Sort of the point of being a hanger, really.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

The pack is pretty much empty, and I bring it in the tent to keep those salt-loving critters from chewing on the straps. I sure wish I had a pic, but I did have a main pack shoulder strap chewed clear through one night on a trip where I had lots of technical gear (rope, pro, harness), so my pack was h-e-a-v-y, hiking out with one effective shoulder strap was no fun (though I jury-rigged it to support some weight).

If with my wife, we keep our packs in the vestibules, but with the straps facing inward so I'd probably hear any critters messing with it.

Occasionally, we used to leave our pack outside, half-a$$ed hanging somewhere, here's what happened the last time I did this (but our-bad for forgetting about a small baggie of red Gatorade powder in my wife's pack).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

In my tent....plenty of room in my Zpacks Duplex...

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
    in my tent....plenty of room in my zpacks duplex...
    same same same
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Vestibule. We have a Zpacks Triplex for the two of us, so there are two good sized vestibules and we put packs and shoes in them. The pack is basically empty anyway.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Since you asked

As a dinosaur who still uses an external frame pack, I just lean it against the wall or front steps of the shelter, or against a tree if I'm sleeping in my tent. I always hang my food and my trash in my Ursack about 100 feet from where I'm sleeping. And I keep my shoes in the vestibule of my tent.
    I used to keep my titanium cup near to where I'd be using my cat stove for morning coffee, but stopped doing so when some raccoons stole it(!?!?).

Gosh. Sometimes essentially empty and under my legs. Sometimes next to me as an additional barrier to rain splatter or spin-drift under my tarp. Sometime in the vestibule of a tent that is to small for the occupants plus their packs. Sometimes in the tent because there is room. Never completely out of reach hanging on some tree or bear line. Rarely under my head to provide a bit more pillow height, normally use shoes for that.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I'm more likely to leave my stuff out at night pack,poles, shoes during winter time alot less creepy crawly things about.

At night the pack is mostly empty. I have a Tarp Tent Notch. I have a small loop of cord that goes over the tip of the trekking pole. The pack clips to that so it is hanging in the vestibule door. Easy to reach. Out of the way. Off the ground. Out of the rain.

Usually lay it in the vestibule pretty much right next to my head.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

My pack is always in my tent with me, no exceptions. All my stuff is neatly arranged inside my pack in case there’s the need for a quick getaway. Essentials like glasses and headlamp are close at hand and folded inside a bandanna to prevent them from being covered with condensation.

I keep my pack in my tent. Since I use almost everything in my pack, that makes things handy. Also, I backpack where there are plenty of bears, and they’re curious creatures. I don’t want them exploring just because it looks interesting.

++ New Posts ++