WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting to Max Patch

Hello to all,

My question is pretty straight forward I live in NC and I have hiked a pretty good section of the AT and my children keep telling me about Max Patch.

I have gone past and through there but my children want to go and hang out. If it were me and my son there would be no problem but my daughter wants to come with. She is not a hiker

I always remember taking I-40 to Exit 7 Harmons den, and taking the service road up there. I have heard that the road has washed out and it is not possible to do this any more.

Do you know an alternate way of getting there, or am I wrong about the above.

I remember hiking through the area and saw people camping up there as well... not on the bald but a different trail looked like a logging road.

I have a map of the area, but I thought I would ask you guys about this well used area.

As always, any information is appreciated and very welcome!

And no...... there is no way of converting my daughter, I have tried many times.

Best,
    Floyd

Journal Entries

This is the first I've heard of a possible washout. If you don't live close enough to drive by personally, I'd suggest calling the forest service and see what they say.

Was just up there this weekend, but I didn't drive (we hiked in from hot Springs). Lots of cars and 2WD trucks in the parking lot with about 50 tents on top. not sure which route they took, but there were plenty of cars.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Back in 2013, my wife and I drove up to Max Patch via some county roads and forest service roads from outside Hot Springs. I simply referred to a National Geographic map of the area and navigated there via the old fashioned way. Sorry I don't have any more details for you. I believe we approached MP from the northeast direction in a Subaru Crosstrek.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Max Patch is very accessible if you stick to the main FSRs. Brown Gap Road to Max Patch is a bit rugid.

There are people that live up in that area.

There are three main ways up to Max Patch.
    - From TN from Del Rio
    - From NC 209
    - Fron I40 Harmon Den Road

If Harmon Den is closed, just drive up to NC 209.

But you can also cut up from Fines Creek at Exit 15.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies. I was planning with following up with the forest service but I thought I would ask the people in the know first.

It has been a long time since I have hiked through the area so I really don't remember much, and I'm certain much has changed.

I thought that camping on the Bald was prohibited.

50 tents on the top? Yuck!

I get it is a tourist attraction but I thought I would bring my daughter, who has no hiking experience, up there before she leaves for college.

I thank you for all of your information and best wishes to all of you.

Best Regards,
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello,
    50 tents on the top? Yuck!
    I don't know if it's actually prohibited, but it's certainly not a good idea.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was up there yesterday. The road up And down is about 13 miles of sharp bends along with not much room for passing. The road surface is in good condition - but it is gravel with a few bumps so pay attention.
    I came up from the south to max patch and then drove down the north side. Both roads are easily doable without 4 wheel drive. In fact there were a lot of cars up there. I would not even try on a weekend or holiday.

Images

I don't know if it's actually prohibited, but it's certainly not a good idea.

according to the ranger i spoke with a few years ago when this subject came up on this board----

camping is permitted up top....

apparently at one time it wasnt but they changed it and most people refer back to the closing of it in conversation...

but, he said it was fine....

and yeah, with Rona and no other entertainment right now, its going to be packed up there...

on a good weekend anyways without Rona, it will be packed....

++ New Posts ++