WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Time Zone I am sure it is as frustrating for you as it is for me and others that live so locally that the CT is not complete, nor well maintained. On the flip side, I'm local and not exactly beating down the bushes to volunteer.

The lack of the CT completion hence my start of the BMT, ST, and PT. They are all 3 relatively local (within 2-4 hours of me) and are complete as well as maintained.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Time Zone I am sure it is as frustrating for you as it is for me and others that live so locally that the CT is not complete, nor well maintained. On the flip side, I'm local and not exactly beating down the bushes to volunteer.

The lack of the CT completion hence my start of the BMT, ST, and PT. They are all 3 relatively local (within 2-4 hours of me) and are complete as well as maintained.
    What are the ST and PT? I know the BMT and CT.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    What are the ST and PT? I know the BMT and CT.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Hint,hint, look at the trails he's working on highlighted in green.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post

I hear you! The CT is basically within 0.5-2.5 hours from me, so it has a bit of home court advantage. Plus it's the proverbial (poetical?) road less traveled. The driving logistics of more distant hikes is a bit of a challenge, as I have some self-imposed constraints in that regard.

But ... yeah. I should look more seriously at some of those others - PT, ST, and BMT. In your sig lines, you have quite a set of odometer readings going! Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Hint,hint, look at the trails he's working on highlighted in green.
    AH, I was on my phone and didn't even see the sig line
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Do they allow overnight parking at Devil's Breakfast Table now? Last I was there, they did not, and that's a real limiting factor in that area. You have to dayhike it, unless there is other parking nearby.

There's also a "bridge advisory" mentioned on the Friends of the Cumberland Trail website:
    Where: Devil’s Breakfast Table – Main Bridge over Daddy’s Creek
    Ranger and Maintenance staff are looking to remedy the situation.
    I wonder what the bridge advisory is. Can you even get back to your car after a dayhike of the DBT section? Or is the bridge OK for hikers and pedestrians, but not for cars?

Default McGill Creek Section

Hiked yesterday with Tennessee Trails Association members on the McGill Creek section of the Cumberland Trail. It not only shares a trailhead & parking area with the Graysville Mountain section, it shares the characteristic of dead-ending at private property, with no public-access trailhead or parking at the other end. So it's an in-out, unless you have permission of the property owner.

For awhile the trail ended at an aluminum bridge about 2.4 mi from the Roaring Creek parking area, but it has since been extended beyond (contrary to the out-of-date info* at the cumberlandtrail.org website). How far beyond is not clear to me. I'm unaware of any good maps of the section, the arcgis map** linked from the Friends of the Cumberland Trail website, which shows the trail and contour lines to the bridge, but not beyond. And that limited map provides no point-by-point landmarks that many section hike descriptions at the cumberlandtrail.org website do.

After the bridge, the white blazes continue for awhile, but they eventually get sparse and disappear - first in favor of the occasional orange or pink ribbon around a tree, and then, well, nothing at all that I noticed. Fortunately, the trail is fairly evident beyond the rockiest of stretches, but without a lot of traffic I feel the section may be eventually become overgrown and heavily blocked by uncleared blowdowns. And without a southern trailhead, it may not get much traffic.

Early on (after the bridge) there's a blue-blazed spur trail down to some falls. It gets very rocky for a bit thereafter, and after that, there are several large blowdowns that you have to go over or under. They aren't quite as absurdly large as the three huge clusters of downed trees I encountered as I approached the halfway point of the Graysville Mtn section some years ago, but you'll want some tough material for pants or packs when you have to go over or under them, respectively.

There's a lot of elevation gain/loss, esp. beyond the bridge. Quite a few rock steps have been placed throughout - it must have taken a tremendous amount of work.

* https://www.cumberlandtrail.org/trai...creek-section/
    (out of date & incomplete as of this posting)

** https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...7525%2C36.4734

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++