WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Electronics

The OP has made 17 posts, All on this thread. I smell a troll.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post

I thought the other night when the thread was started that OP had 10 posts......

I made a mention of it in one of my posts after OP asked if this subject had been discussed before...

And I said---pretty much every year it has....

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I asked the troll to go away my 6th post in responding @ 1:41am oh well all good in the woods, I don't sleep so it gave me something to do. Been kinda quiet on here lately , and it's relative to my interests.

Hopefully he didn’t crawl under the new bridge, like the one one in Three Billy Goats Gruff!

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Hopefully he didn’t crawl under the new bridge, like the one one in Three Billy Goats Gruff!
    I just looked that story up, loved the way it ended. Watch out for that last Billy goat troll !

TNhiker: Now you're resorting with personal insults because you have no intellectual arguments to make about this topic.

PS: Anyone who graduated from high school should know what the word "curmudgeon" means.

Is there a limit to how many posts the OP can make?

If so, why?

I did, after all, start this discussion, because I had many thoughts on it.

Now it seems all of you are anxious to insult me personally instead of making an on-topic reply.

If you can't stick to the topic, don't post anything at all.

Bitter? You've misunderstood.

Books I've read of recent thru-hikers write about phones in shelters playing music and making phone calls.

Is this "hike your own hike," bothering others with the noise you create? Aren't the woods supposed to be somewhat of a backcountry experience, a different realm where hikers can escape the real world? Are others supposed to just shut up and take the racket until the noise maker finally decides to go to sleep?

TNhiker wrote:
    "did someone force you to hike the AT or did you not realize there was other long distance trails in the states?"

Is the AT now meant to be an amusement park, because that's what you want?

My second problem with videologs, etc is that, if you want to hike the trail, why watch them instead of being surprised when you come across the wonderful trail features in the wild? And more than that, why are hikers video-recording their hike? To get famous? To have people send you food and money (ahem, Loner '12)? These hikers need an Internet connection like junkies need a fix. Are you really cutting your ties with the real world, sinking, for at least the time you have, into nature and what there is to learn there, instead of worrying about what's you're going to record today, this hour, right this very instant? Don't you want to know what it's like to detach from the always connected world?

How much video of the Grayson Highlands do future hikers want to see before they hike it? Do you want to be able to recognize every 100 meters of it? Shouldn't the fat man cave be a little surprise? All the wild ponies? How many shots of the Lemon Squeezer must you view until it's ruined, or drilled in to your memory? Mahoosuc Notch? Southern balds? PA rocks? PA fields? The many and varied bridges -- who doesn't love a footbridge? Why do you want to have seen each one before you discover it?

These are some more of the things I'm grappling with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bronco96# View Post
    TNhiker: Now you're resorting with personal insults because you have no intellectual arguments to make about this topic.

PS: Anyone who graduated from high school should know what the word "curmudgeon" means.

huh?

unlike you, i never threw down an insult in this thread.....

and i know what that word means-----did you not see my post about an office at my former place of employment?

Images

TNhiker wrote:
    "did someone force you to hike the AT or did you not realize there was other long distance trails in the states?"

Is the AT now meant to be an amusement park, because that's what you want?

did i say that i wanted the AT to become an amusement park?

i was referring to the fact that if you don't like what is going down on the AT----there are plenty of other
    long distance trails in the states that have way fewer people hiking them....

Bitter? You've misunderstood.

Books I've read of recent thru-hikers write about phones in shelters playing music and making phone calls.

Is this "hike your own hike," bothering others with the noise you create? Aren't the woods supposed to be somewhat of a backcountry experience, a different realm where hikers can escape the real world? Are others supposed to just shut up and take the racket until the noise maker finally decides to go to sleep?
    Books you’ve read? Which ones? My daughters and I did a Harpers Ferry to Bear Mtn LASH last summer, and were in midst of the bubble. We didn’t have an issue, on trail or in camp. Sundown, everyone was asleep.

My guess is you’ve never hiked the AT, and you probably don’t live in Keizer or even the US.

What a grumpystiltskins

Hank -- you're another one who relies on personal attacks instead of discussing the issues.

1) pretty sure I've hiked more of the AT than you.
    2) certain you're wrong about where I live
    3) why the F would it matter to you?

Stick to the issues instead of taking it to the personal.

Images

Stick to the issues instead of taking it to the personal.

you should heed your own advice....

>> you should heed your own advice.... <<

I am. But not without defending myself and pointing out to all of you that you're way out of bounds.

Clearly this is a sensitive topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Seasonal troll
    Yep,yep!! Move along.......

If I were looking for a wilderness experience I wouldn't be hiking the AT and I definitely wouldn't be hanging out at a shelter regardless of the electronics. Unless you are in an area/state that encourages, or requires, you to stay at a shelter there are almost always decent spots just past the shelter that allow you to have much more seclusion.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

loneh: So you think it's OK that hikers play music in shelters? That they have phone calls at all hours? That even in inclement weather you're the one who's supposed to move out and sleep in the rain instead of them?

Are there any ethics left on the AT? Any sense of responsibility? Any sense of 'do onto others as you would have others do onto you?'

Images

That even in inclement weather you're the one who's supposed to move out and sleep in the rain instead of them?

this is your choice--- not them forcing you to do it.......

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++