WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    one could also make the argument that the time could have been faster in cooler weather......
    The trade off is hours of daylight. It's not going to cool off significantly until late August, which pushes finishing into early October and by then you've lost a few hours of daylight.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The trade off is hours of daylight. It's not going to cool off significantly until late August, which pushes finishing into early October and by then you've lost a few hours of daylight.

true.....

but don't alot of FKTers start the hike before daylight and end after daylight?

or is strictly a sun up to sun down kinda thing?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    true.....
    but don't alot of FKTers start the hike before daylight and end after daylight?
    or is strictly a sun up to sun down kinda thing?
    Definitely seen a lot of night hiking mixed in. I'd be hiding from the daylight hours on the hot days.... getting up before dawn and getting in big miles early

I don't even like hiking (let alone running) much in heat personally though.
    A tough task if she hasn't done long trails before, but hopefully a great experience regardless.

Yeah I think these crazy ,unexplainable more human than human type feats requires 18-20 hrs days. The " Mercury's up " , give er hell young lady good luck!

Jogging in the dark is inevitable, but it does slow you down so the more daylight you have, the better off you are.

Images

IIRC, JPD did her record hike with almost zero running, just very long power-walking days, which of course one can do mostly in the light this time of year. 3 MPH average x 16 hours = record pace.

I would melt if I ever tried to hike any of the southern 2/3rds of the AT in the summer (I've hiked the AT 1.5 times now and my feet have never touched the trail in the summer, well, except one LASH starting in Mid September, still calendar summer).

first day she did 69.3 miles. good decision or bad? time will tell.

https://mercuryontheat.com/2020/07/0...e-a-bold-move/
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Ounces are the little-death

I think you're right that JPD was straight hiking.
    Joe, conversely, was done in 12-15 hours a day and took nearly an hour to get going in the mornings.

Yes, JPD said in her book, she only jogged a bit. I believe some was the very last day. Just very long days of fast hiking.

The other thing I wonder about in the summers, little rain and less to carry (for unsupported). Not even cool weather gear.

Best wishes to this lady.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

ah jeez, slow that roll.

Surprised Horton and Doyle didn’t think it was a bad idea to start with that kind of mileage. It goes against any reasoned judgment.

So was this first really big day an effort to silence the doubters? To silence personal self-doubt? Or does she really have that kind of endurance stamina in her, and will crush both the women's and overall record? In 30 or so days we will have a much better idea.

Images

In 30 or so days we will have a much better idea.

i think by day 10 we will have a better idea....

Day: 1 (written end of day July 7th) Miles: 69.3 (Springer Mountain to Dicks Creek Gap)

Whoa!
    Her first day is her longest run in her life...jesus. How crazy would it be if she shows up and just smokes the entire thing??
    Odds seem super low but damn, what a start.

When did people start caring which direction you went? As far as there being a distinction between having the nobo vs sobo record?

SOBO you do the hard stuff first, which in theory should make the last few days in NC/GA easier. NH and Maine trails require a lot of attention due to the rough footing and occasional rock scrambling. Going NOBO and getting here running on fumes makes it harder.

Having a blazing start might not be sustainable. The old tortious and the hare fable. How'd day 2 go?

Images

Having a blazing start might not be sustainable. The old tortious and the hare fable. How'd day 2 go?

that's why i say by day 10 we will see how this all goes.....

Right, I wasn't asking why someone would go one way or the other, I was asking when there started being a distinction between records.
    Is it only because the new FKT site supports those categories?

The FKTs on the AT are unofficial records. I suspect as more people engage in this challenge there will be more categories which appear over time, especially if commercial interests are involved.

Second day - 54.8 miles to Burningtown Gap

Quote Originally Posted by black chucks View Post
    Second day - 54.8 miles to Burningtown Gap
    ... and shin splints already.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++