WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ounces are the little-death

Default Female attempting supported starting tomorrow, Jly 7.

https://fastestknowntime.com/comment..._comments/1970

"Hello, my name is Liz Anjos. On July 7th, beginning from the southern terminus on Springer Mountain, I’m attempting a supported FKT on the Appalachian Trail. Hiking the AT has been a dream in the making for a long time, and I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to now realize that dream. My thru-hike will be supported by educator and hiker Warren Doyle, who set an endurance record on the trail in 1973 and has set an informal record for hiking the entire trail the most times (18). I will also be supported along the way by my family in Virginia and Pennsylvania, as well as friends I have met through the amazing hiking and trail running communities in the Eastern US.The women’s record stands at 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes by Jennifer Pharr Davis supported by Brew Davis, and the overall record stands at 41 days, 7 hours, and 39 minutes by Karel Sabbe supported by Joren Biebuyck. Their achievements, and those of Heather Anderson and Joe McConaughy (self-supported record holders), Scott Jurek, Karl Meltzer, Andrew Thompson, Pete Palmer, David Horton, and the list goes on, are not only feats of extraordinary athleticism, but a testament to the power of the mind, planning, strategy, the ability to roll with the punches, and above all… relentless forward motion.
    I would like to address that this thru-hike is happening in the midst of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. My crew and I are taking every measure to minimize the risk of contracting or spreading Covid-19 by getting tested, wearing masks as required indoors or when keeping a distance of 6ft isn’t possible, minimizing resupplies and arranging contactless delivery when possible, and providing our own shelters and avoiding places where hikers congregate. The entire trail from Georgia to Maine is open for use, though some restrictions for out-of-state visitors remain in the northern-most states; this may mean leaving the trail to get tested before entering certain states, contacting state health departments regarding this particular circumstance and following their guidance, and/or making some difficult decisions if the situation gets worse over the next month. My crew and I will post trail updates from my blog and I won’t be posting on social media during the hike, as to not take up space or glorify traveling and thru-hiking at this time. My live tracking info has been shared privately with the site runners at Fastest Known Time. While this is a personal journey at its core, I want to be transparent about my progress in the record attempt.
    Trail updates and more info can be found at mercuryontheat.com.
    Lastly... my trail name Mercury is inspired by the Roman deity, the wing- and fleet-footed messenger of the gods. In embarking on and sharing about this journey, I would like to deliver my own message of perseverance and hope."

She's done one ultra, went to a workshop about hiking the AT then gave herself her own trailname...so, we'll see how it goes!

I wish her well but she lacks the experience I’m afraid. She is also known as Pink Feathers.
    Last edited by k2basecamp; 07-06-2020 at 14:56.

Agreed - experience seems to be sorely lacking. That she convinced Warren to support her crew is interesting, but other than that I don't see much here.

The heat is on!! (Literally)

Images

yeah....

and while Ive never done a FKT hike----i would think this time of year wouldnt be the best to set out to do one...

Im in maryland right now and its in the upper 90's with humidity....

that wont be fun...

Images

that link says "access denied"....

Nothing to see here, move along...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah....

and while Ive never done a FKT hike----i would think this time of year wouldnt be the best to set out to do one...

that wont be fun...
    Averaging ~47mi/day with East Coast heat and humidity... hmm.

Not the best time of year to start from the Southern terminus. Adding to that are the various State requirements that include 2-week isolation and/or testing to enter certain States. However, sometimes the stars align, heat abates just long enough to push through tough sections of trail, rain holds off just long enough to do the steep terrain, support crews can get permission to enter States having entry restrictions, and just being "new" to the FKT attempt can make a difference for some people.

It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition and if/where she places in the top 10 FKT list. Once upon a time this could have been me, I rather admire the ambition to take the shot at a record. Failure brings one closer to success, unless one quits. The only advice I would have is please don't screw up and bring champaign along with the road crew to summit Katahdin for celebratory mischief, it detracts from the feat itself when rules are ignored.

Best of luck!

Must of gone under cover to avoid the cheering crowds and media spotlight

I'm surprised she has Warren on her team. Is she going for the overall FKT or the women's FKT? I don't like voicing pessimism...but I'm extremely skeptical of this attempt for quite a few reasons. Lack of experience, COVID restrictions, time of year...the odds are definitely stacked against her. I'll be very happy to be proven wrong. Hoping she comes out of the gate strong.

Website is up and running, but nothing posted about any start today.

I'll give her credit - her Hellgate time is certainly solid.

By the way, the link above for her site is messed up. Try this:
    https://mercuryontheat.com/

Images

It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition and if/where she places in the top 10 FKT list

are we taking bets?

Images

a little about Liz:

she says:
    and I’m now preparing to thru-hike the entire 2,193 mile Appalachian Trail in the summer of 2020.

Running Lizhttps://runningliz.com/about/

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah....

that wont be fun...
    Hey TNHiker, I looked up Jennifer Pharr-Davis FKT's. When she set the FKT on the AT, both were SOBO and were in late July and August.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I wish her success, and look forward to following along as she heads up.

willin'

Images

She is a very experienced runner with multiple sub 3 hour marathons. Also has a number of ultras. Good luck to her. I think its comes down to mental toughness in the end and avoiding injury. Good luck to her !

Ounces are the little-death

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper View Post
    Also has a number of ultras.
    Her site says she's only done Hellgate (2019) and US confirms. What other races are there?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Hey TNHiker, I looked up Jennifer Pharr-Davis FKT's. When she set the FKT on the AT, both were SOBO and were in late July and August.

interesting....

still gotta be brutal though.....

one could also make the argument that the time could have been faster in cooler weather......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++