WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default VDOT seeks public input on Appalachian Trail over Route 311 in Roanoke Co. - WSET

Seems like a good idea, considering the traffic. Now if they could only do something about the Palisades parkway crossing in NY. That one really puts your life in danger.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Agree on the Palisades Parkway. Clearly the most dangerous road crossing on the AT.

Images

I don't remember the 311 road crossing on my 1990 thru-hike but I do remember waiting over 10 minutes at the Paliscades Parkway and the sprinting at top speed to make it across .

Does seem odd that they wouldn't do something there like they did with other express-type roads (bridge over the MA Pike, following the road under the Taconic Parkway). Even saw a bike trail where they used an oversized drain pipe to make a tunnel under a road.

Journal Entries

The AT used to cross the Taconic Parkway in NY at grade, that put the Palisades to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Seems like a good idea, considering the traffic. Now if they could only do something about the Palisades parkway crossing in NY. That one really puts your life in danger.
    After doing half of it July 2015, I chilled out in the AC of the gift shop before taking on the second half.

++ New Posts ++