WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thanks for explaining that. I had gotten to the backcountry option, but abandoned it when I’d need to fill in the group size. (Commitment is hard.)

It’s booked!!! Now I am nervous!!

I’ll start at Sand Point Junction. I got sites at Au Stable, Beaver Creek, and Mosquito River.

I’ll hike out to Sand Point for pick up by my wife.

On the last night she is going to park at the parking near Chapel Beach and hike in to Mosquito Beach and meet me with my daughter. Then she will hike out the last day with me. She is a very experienced 12y/o hiker.

I’ll prob have her bring my last days food to save me some weight.

I am really excited an anxious. This is my first “destination” type hike!

If you guys have any tips or idea PLEASE share!!

I hope it’s nervous excitement and not apprehension. That wounds like a great trip, with beautiful sites. Each campsite has some really nice attributes.

I likely already mentioned having breakfast on the front porch at the light house rather than at camp at Au Sable.

Is your wife staying with you overnight at Mosquito? You might consider having your wife park at the east end of Miner’s Beach instead of at the Chapel trailhead. (Or the west end, OR Miner’s Castle parking—both would make a longer hike in, but it would be nice hiking.) From Miner’s beach, the two would go up the hill, and be on the rocks. For a ways, it’s just a walk in the woods, but then they’d be at the edge of the cliffs (safe) and would get the same type views you’d had on the cliff top sections. Instead of 2–ish miles in, I think it would be 3 from east Miner’s Beach, maybe 3.5. I forget the details, but it’s not much further, and it is much, much more spectacular. There’s a great spot, just off the trail, with a splendid view and loads of bunchberry plants, that would be a wonderful spot to stop for a snack. Don’t ask how I know this. After a bit on the top of the cliffs, they drop down, and work their way into the Mosquito area. The next day, you’d all go back that way, and be able to have another snack at the magnificent snack spot. For that matter, you could put packs in the car at that point, and hike the rest of the way with day packs.

I envy you your trip. It’ll be beautiful and you’ll have fun.

She will only be hiking in to drop off our daughter. She will be leaving that day. She isn’t much of a hiker. Lol.

I could have her bring a day pack and pack out some small stuff from me; trash, one of my two water bottles... etc.

If she would like, check the mileage of doing the east end of Miner's Beach to Mosquito, it IS a much prettier hike. Otherwise, still trying to up the prettiness factor, take the side loop to Mosquito Falls. I think it adds a mile and a half. Just take the time there to stop and look. I've done it twice and the second time I found lots more cascades. She should also save plenty of time to just sit on the rocks at Mosquito, it's a beautiful place. Get water at the visitor center at Miner's Castle for the rest of your day.

My trip is very quickly approaching!

I’ve been going over my plan, I have Sand Point as my pickup spot. I cont remember why I planned it like that and not going to the Munising Visitor Center?

Will I miss anything stopping at Sand Point (coming from mosquito river)? I think it’s 3 more miles to the visitor center.

The miles between Sand Point and the visitor center are in woods. You’ll likely be able to see a little through the trees, but not much. There are houses down below, and you’ll hear some road noise and doors opening and closing and kids making noise. It’s not bad, but it’s likely not going to something that you’ll slap your forehead and say, “What was I thinking?”

Get a pastie at Muldoon’s. Take lots of pictures and share them with us. I sure miss that lake.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    My trip is very quickly approaching!

I’ve been going over my plan, I have Sand Point as my pickup spot. I cont remember why I planned it like that and not going to the Munising Visitor Center?

Will I miss anything stopping at Sand Point (coming from mosquito river)? I think it’s 3 more miles to the visitor center.

Our last day was Mosquito River to Sand Point too. If I recall, we couldn't hake that last section as it was under construction that year, but I seem remember that we didn't feel we missed much. In the hike from the bluffs down to Sand Point (which is at Lake level), there were some water eroded escarpments in the woods that were prehistoric cliffs from when the lake level was much higher. That was kind of interesting. Otherwise there wasn't much. If you are not hiking all the way to Munising, you could drive in to see Munising Falls at the west end of the trail on your way out. That would be worth while if you didn't see it otherwise. Plus the pasties.

When you get to Spray Falls, check to see if that tree on the overhang is still there. It seems not long for this world, but I stood next to it on my first about 35 years ago, and when this picture was taken about 4 years ago. When on the ledge you can't tell that there is so little between you and the lake.

IMG_6412.JPG

Default Pictured Rocks section.

Drove from Georgia to Munising to get parties at Muldoon's last week. Ate them at Bay Furnace picnic area overlooking the lake. It was totally worth it...

Actually, we were camping our way across the U.P. so technically we didn't drive up just for Muldoon's...but it still would have been worth it.

If you are doing a Pasty tour of the UP, you shouldn't miss the best pasties on earth in Twin lakes MI (south of Houghton, on M26) From Krupp's Mini Mart.

I will be heading to PR from 10/14-10/18 Doing the western half, Staying at Coves Group, Cliffs Group and Twelvemile beach campground, will report back.

I used to get my permit, then go to Muldoons and get a pastie, then hike to my site, put up my tent, and then sit and eat my pastie as I watched the waves come in. I love being able to hike in Yellowstone just as easily as I used to be able to hike at Pictured Rocks, but geeze, I wish there were pasties around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    I used to get my permit, then go to Muldoons and get a pastie, then hike to my site, put up my tent, and then sit and eat my pastie as I watched the waves come in. I love being able to hike in Yellowstone just as easily as I used to be able to hike at Pictured Rocks, but geeze, I wish there were pasties around here.
    Make your own. When our family would go car camping, I would make a batch of pasties to eat the first night when we're didn't have time to cook while setting up camp. Unless we were camping at Brevoort Lake (just west of St Ignace). Then we stop at Lehtos on US 2. But I always have a rutabaga in the fridge for pasty emergencies.

An emergency rutabaga stash… that’s a staple I hadn’t thought of.

You’re right, I should try making them. I talked to a person yesterday, who had gone back to the UP for a trip, and brought back frozen pasties and was treating herself to them one.at.a.time. I was jealous. I’m not into cooking much, but I retire Friday, and that would be a good thing to learn to make and I’ll have the time.

The trickiest part is making the crust (if you've never made a pie crust before)

Here is a recipe for 4 pasties (You can stretch into 5 by rolling the dough out thinner)

I use 2 cups of flour with 2/3 cups of shortening (or lard to be more authentic).
    Cut together to make crumbs.
    Add cold water a little bit a time while stirring just until the dough starts to stick together.
    Divide into 4 ball. You don't want to work to dough much or it gets tough.
    Refrigerate the dough balls while cutting the vegetables.

Dice beef (sirloin/round/etc...), potatoes, rutabagas, and onions.
    You can use hamburger, but steak is better.
    I don't measure. I just cut enough for four pasties - about a cup of filling per pie.
    I wuold guess 1 lb of beef, 1 large or 2 small potatoes, a small onion, and a slab of rutabaga = to the onion
    toss together in a large bowl with salt and pepper and divide into 4 equal parts (1 use 4 small bowls).
    They can come out bland so don't be too timid with the seasonings.
    If you have about 4 cups you're good to go. Less, cut more. Too much, squeeze it in.

Now get one ball of dough and roll out on a floured surface (I use a pastry cloth).
    The dough will be tender and difficult to handle. Dust with lots of flour if it helps.
    Roll to about a 9 inch circle. Gently roll dough onto the rolling pin and unroll onto a 9 inch dinner plate.
    I find it easier to build the pastie on a plate. It helps to keep the filling in place and make it easier to transfer.
    The dough should be overlap the edge of the plate slightly.
    Put one sample of filling on half of the dough in a semicircle, but don't go all the way to the edge.
    (The upturned edge of the plate helps keep the filling in place)
    Fold the uncovered edge of the dough over top the filling all the way to the opposite edge.
    Crimp the edge of pie by folding the over uncovered edges toward the middle.
    Lift the plate and flip the pastie over onto the palm of your hand. Then flip the pie from your hand onto a baking sheet.
    (The plate also make this transfer step easier)

Repeat until you have made all four pies.
    Use a knife to poke vent holes all over the tops.
    You can brush the tops with beaten egg. This makes them look pretty, but I don't always bother.
    Bake at 350 for 50-60 min. If they are golden brown and sizzling, they are probably done.
    (eating partial cooked or raw meat...yada yada yada yada... don't sue me)

If not eating right away you can wrap them in foil and freeze/refrigerate. Then reheat in the foil.
    If I was going camping, I would wrap them in foil while hot, then wrap them in newspaper for insulation.
    If you want, tou can heat them up at camp by leaving them in the foil and throwing them in the fire (burn the newspaper).
    Lore has it that miners would heat them on their shovels over their acetylene lamp flame.

Serve with ketchup or brown gravy. Arguing about ketchup vs gravy is a good way to start a bar fight in the UP.

That looks great Odd Man Out. Thanks for sharing!

thanks for recipe!!!

Made pasties last night. Yum. Cut a couple slabs off the emergency rutabaga. Still plenty left for next time. They last forever in the fridge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++