WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Best direction for socializing between Fontana and Standing Indian in August?

Half the fun of section-hiking for me is making new friends and hiking with them for a while rather than just crossing paths in opposite directions. So I'm wondering which direction would be best for a few days in August between Standing Indian and Fontana: NOBO or SOBO? In other words, in which direction would I be moving along with the flow instead of going counterflow?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GratefulEd View Post
    Half the fun of section-hiking for me is making new friends and hiking with them for a while rather than just crossing paths in opposite directions. So I'm wondering which direction would be best for a few days in August between Standing Indian and Fontana: NOBO or SOBO? In other words, in which direction would I be moving along with the flow instead of going counterflow?

since august is that time that's way after northbound traffic has gone through, and a touch before
    southbound traffic is coming that way--------its a crapshoot.....

just depends upon what each individual hiker is doing instead of the mob mentality.....

Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking. Guess I'll go NOBO since the elevation profile is slightly favorable that way, and place my trust in the Trail Gods.

Journal Entries

Is "socializing" along trails and at shelters a good idea during the continuing Covid epidemic? This thread may illustrate one reason the ATC has requested that people not do section hikes or thru hikes this year.
    Last edited by Siestita; 07-16-2020 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    Is "socializing" along trails and at shelters a good idea during the continuing Covid epidemic? This thread may illustrate one reason the ATC has requested that people not do section hikes or thru hikes this year.
    Yeah maybe not the best time to be finding new friends.....

I am a local to that area and have hiked this section numerous times of the year in both directions. Definitely northbound. You will pass more people hiking in the opposite direction if you go southbound, but you are more likely to run into people you have already met at shelters, water sources, and viewpoints as you hike northbound. Just my experience.

++ New Posts ++