WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I don't want DCF but still want UL pack. Narrowed to GG Gorilla and Arc Haul 62

Wondering what you all think? I’ve narrowed in on the GG Gorilla. The only thing that bothers me about it is the bland color.
    I have also looked hard at SWD x42 fabric bags, Zpack Arc Haul 62 and REI Flash 45.
    The 62 I feel is alot of capacity. I wanted to be around 45-50L.
    Thought?
    Thanks gang.

Take a look at ULA. I love my circuit and cdt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    A second recommendation for ULA. I love my Catalyst.

Another vote for the ULA Catalyst.
    Wayne

Images

I'll second that... both of them!
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I like SWD, and you can mix and match colors all around. I got DCF, but other fabric pockets. Very flexible to work with.

Check out Elemental Horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    Wondering what you all think? I’ve narrowed in on the GG Gorilla. The only thing that bothers me about it is the bland color.
    I have also looked hard at SWD x42 fabric bags, Zpack Arc Haul 62 and REI Flash 45.
    Thought?
    Thanks gang.
    Unlike the others I can't get along with the ULA packs...they just don't carry comfortably for me.

The Arc Haul is more like a 50l pack...the main body is 49l. The rest of the volume is from the mesh pocket and side pockets which are good for water bottles, rain gear and snacks (add the pockets, they are useful). I fit the same gear in the same mass of bag in my Aura 50l and my ZPacks Arc Haul...I certainly don't have enough gear for 62l main compartment.

I use the Gorilla for three season trips and couldn't be happier. It even swallows my bareboxer can. Oh and have have a red bandana tied on the outside for color.

Ditto what Coffee says.I have a Circuit and a custom made CDT with load lifters and a custom hip belt.I might have been happier with the OHM 2.0,not sure but there are things about the CDT l do like more than the OHM 2.0If you want a custom made CDT,just call and ask them to make you one.My CDT will hold an URSACK all white bear bag with the metal liner which I use as a stool at times with a sit pad.If you have never tried the pull string top closure,I really have enjoyed mine.

But if you really want to save about a pound then DCF packs are likely the only way to do it.

Several companies make packs with xPac materials. Said to be more durable than DCF but slightly heavier.
    Lots and lots of choices out there.
    Search and search again.
    Wayne

Here is my SWD 50L, DCF body (seam taped), X-Pac pockets. Added a layer of purple X-Pac on the bottom for durability. Just taken on walks around town, up and down an old landfill, ect. But like it so far.

IMG_4589.JPG

Looks like ULA is the favorite. I have a Circuit and Photon and love them both.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I don't know what your limit is on "ultralight", but I'm very happy with my Granite Gear Crown pack, and if frameless is your thing, the Virga 2 is a solid choice.

Garlic
    Images

Two things I've always liked about GG are simplicity and price. But it's been a few years since I had to replace a pack and I don't know if that's still true.

I've always respected the functionality and durability of ULA, but they have more features I didn't need and didn't wanted to pay for. They're certainly very popular, and for good reason.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have bought 2 Granite Gear Crowns, just can't dig them, and man, did I try! In my world, a bear canister makes or breaks a pack quick, sorry Hyperlite, too many disgruntled canister carriers with your pack. So, I have continued to carry my ULA Catalyst completing the HST with the 20 pound 'slug' of a canister. After several years of heavy use, I have decided on the GG Blaze 60. It has the correct frame setup to accommodate a bear canister, and for the thru-hiker types, real working side pockets. Sorry to you Osprey, you haven't figured it out yet, hint, Smartwater bottles love OPEN pockets on the move. And for those of us with 'friends' in the right places, much back office conversation toward mandatory bear cannisters for the AT, Smokies and many more of your favorite trails coming. A certain manufacturer of bear keg component materials has too much political clout on a Federal level.

Images

Thought?
    Thanks gang.
    I presently use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, which is larger than what you want. I like the pack because my tarptent notch fits securely into the large, long pocket on the left side. If I had a different tent I would probably have given the gorilla a stronger look.

Previously I have used a Camp Trails adjustable 2, A Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, several other Granite Gear products, An Osprey Exos and now the Mariposa. Most were a dark blue, except for the Exos....which was that odd shade of green. Never cared for that color.

Quote Originally Posted by No Match View Post
    I have bought 2 Granite Gear Crowns, just can't dig them, and man, did I try! In my world, a bear canister makes or breaks a pack quick, sorry Hyperlite, too many disgruntled canister carriers with your pack. So, I have continued to carry my ULA Catalyst completing the HST with the 20 pound 'slug' of a canister. After several years of heavy use, I have decided on the GG Blaze 60. It has the correct frame setup to accommodate a bear canister, and for the thru-hiker types, real working side pockets. Sorry to you Osprey, you haven't figured it out yet, hint, Smartwater bottles love OPEN pockets on the move. And for those of us with 'friends' in the right places, much back office conversation toward mandatory bear cannisters for the AT, Smokies and many more of your favorite trails coming. A certain manufacturer of bear keg component materials has too much political clout on a Federal level.

I can easily strap a BV-500 on top of my ULA Circuit and most likely it will work with my custom CDT pack as well
    but I've not tried it as Im using an URSACK All White with the metal liner and it actually fits in the CDT horizontally just fine.(the liner gives extra protection and I use it as a stool by putting a sit pad on top.

I have had a ULA Catalyst since around the year 2004-2005. It is one of the Brian Frankle versions before Chris bought the company. My wife wears it every weekend on our day hikes (yes... I know that is overkill but it fits her right). I also own the Ohm 2.0 which I've used for about 8-years with one trip back to the shop so that Chris could fix a couple wear points. The Catalyst has never been back and never had anything needing to be fixed so it going on 16-years of continuous use.

I also own other packs. I'm a lifelong hiker so backpacks are like crack cocaine for me. I'm using an REI branded Flash 55 at the moment which I'm not very fond of but I'm getting the updated version for Christmas so the REI gang must not have scared me off. I bought and sold the GG Crown. I didn't like the way it fit me but that was the first version, not the current one.

If I were going to do a thru-hike I'd pick up a Circuit from ULA without even considering another option. The support you get from ULA is worth it and if you need mid-hike adjustments because you lost too much weight for the current hip-belt, that is an easy fix. I also really like their business model and you just cannot go wrong with the product.

If you need to lose 1-pound of carry weight I recommend a laxative before you hit the trail.

Thought?
    Thanks gang.
    Just purchased the GG Gorilla. Have not taken it out on the trail yet, but looks thought out and well built. Before purchasing, I was put off by thelackluster appearance of internet photos but was pleasantly surprised by the actual look. No razzle dazzle, but a very nice looking pack. Carried an Ohm 2 for past 6 years and have only good things to say about it.
    Last edited by Recalc; 11-24-2020 at 19:00.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++