WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shelter Trekking spoke Design

Looking for my first shelter that uses trekking poles. I've noticed some designs have the metal tips and some use the handles to support the fabric directly. Any issues with the tents that use the metal tips having early wear. Do they have reinforcing material at that location? Never seen in person so I'm buying off online research. Tnx in advance

Depends on the shelter, of course; the ones I've seen do it one of two ways. One way, I think used by Six Moon Design if not others too, has the metal tip go into a sleeve or receptacle made out of thicker material (often some kind of plastic) such that very tip of the pole never really rests against any fabric - rather, the sleeve either gets progressively narrower and that causes the insertion of the pole to stop, or the sleeve runs into a bump/ridge on the pole's tipped end that stops the insertion from going further. Or maybe the metal tip does rest against something, but it's not going to be the fabric alone. That would of course tear it.

Another way is for the pole tip to fit into a grommet outside the tent; in this case, the handle slips into a pocket and supports the fabric; the metal tip goes toward the ground into a grommet, like tent poles do. But I think you weren't really asking about that kind of setup. [I have one of these tents, a Sierra Designs Tensegrity].

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about early wear. The greater risk with pole-tips-up design is having the tip slip/miss the receptacle pocket/insert sleeve and accidentally run across your tent fly material. Seems like it would very likely tear it if you have sharp carbide tips. So never rush that part if you have one of those.

Thank you for your help

My TarpTent Stratospire 1 purchased in 2017 or 2018 has very sturdy metal grommets attached to the rainfly. The grommets accept the tip of the pole and hold it very securely. No part of the pole tip touches anything but metal.
    Wayne

Images

LightHeart Gear tents the tips of the trekking poles fit into a rigid (plastic) patent ridge pole, so totally protected.

Thank you all. I had just about decided on the Tarptent. Then. I saw that Lightheart is made here in NC. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    LightHeart Gear tents the tips of the trekking poles fit into a rigid (plastic) patent ridge pole, so totally protected.
    I've never had a problem with my treking pole coming out of the ridge pole in my Lightheart SoLong 6 tent. It's easy to install and quick to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    I've never had a problem with my treking pole coming out of the ridge pole in my Lightheart SoLong 6 tent. It's easy to install and quick to set up.
    Do you have the steel blue version by any chance ?

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Do you have the steel blue version by any chance ?
    Nah, I have one of Lightheart's cuban fiber models from years past. They don't use that material anymore I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Now, that is an awesome pic of the bike! That's where I get my user name from. Yeah, my old cuban fiber SoLong 6 tent is closer to that Celeste color that Bianchi is famous for. I raise a pint in memory to Il Pirata, the last to win the Giro and the Tour in the same year.
    Last edited by Bianchi Veloce; 07-27-2020 at 02:51.

Il Pirata, sad memories.

Every so often I get "into trouble" for some of my comments. A memerable one was when I pointed out to an Aussie hiker that his new tent matched , in colour, his down jacket and sleeping bag. Three different brands but almost exactly the same , something like burnt orange, colour. he got very upset about it, questioning how could I think such a thing. A few months later he sold the tent because it was too small. ( I already had told him that before he bought it ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    ...Celeste color that Bianchi is famous for... I raise a pint in memory to Il Pirata, the last to win the Giro and the Tour in the same year.
    Depending on the story you believe here is why Bianchi bikesare celeste:
    A) The color of the Queen’s eyes.
    B) Surplus paint from the Italian navy.

The war surplus paint sounds the more likely to me...
    https://www.bianchi.com/celeste/

Out of curiosity I had a look at Queen Margherita's eyes.
    I found two paintings with some good details, this one in particular does show she had blue eyes (very similar to the colour of her dress) but not at all like the Bianchi Celeste.
    stained-glass-contessa.jpg

++ New Posts ++