WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Default Coffee

Hi Everyone,

About to do the in-state portion of North Carolina in a couple of weeks and looking for a suggestion...

What's the best coffee to take along?

I'm not a coffee snob by any means, but I'm not a huge fan of Sanka instant coffee. What have y'all used?

Thanks in advance!

I have always carried tasters choice when I drink coffee but I know Coffee Bustello and DD as well as Starbucks instant packets.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I take Cafe Bustelo packs.They come in a red and yellow box from the grocery and there's 6 or so little finger sized packages in each box that make a drinkable espresso with 8 oz of hot water.Extremely light weight and very convenient.

My favorite night time beverage is hot tea with some dehydrated apple cider powder mixed with it.The Alpine apple cider drink mix is available on Amazon.Fairly heavy little package so I use a half pack per night and it does not overpower the tea taste.Makes a fairly sweet and smooth drink with less caffeine than the espresso.

Trader Joe's coffee tube packs with cream and sugar so good.

Cafe Bustello or Starbucks Italian Roast. Both in single serving packets. Cafe Bustello is less expensive. Target used to sell it. I haven’t looked in ages.
    Enjoy!
    Wayne

Images

I have done presses in the Nalgenes and the Jetboil which make fantastic field coffee. But, generally not fantastic enough to counteract the weight savings with the starbucks packets.

Looks like BRCC has an entry now as well, can't vouch for it until this fall but I will try it out https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/col...-instant-stick
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I'm not a coffee snob but I can't take instant. I brew cowboy coffee on the trail. I prepack my coffee, 1/4 cup of coffee, 1/4 c of any kind of sugar (I like brown sugar) in a zip lock bag. At night I set up my pot and wisperlite with 20 oz of water and dump the coffee/sugar in and put the top on. In the morning I get up and fire up the stove. By the time I get the tent knocked down the coffee comes to a boil. Take it off the heat and let is set in the cozy for 5 minutes and the tent is packed up. Decant into a plastic cup made out of the bottom of a big coffeemate container. The grounds will sink to the bottom no need to strain.

You can always find ground coffee and some type of sugar just about anyplace.

I’ve become a fan of Starbucks cold brew packets for an afternoon pick me up, especially when used with cold stream water. They’re bigger than the Via’s but it’s no big deal to carry a few for a 3-4 day hike.

Quote Originally Posted by greentick View Post
    Looks like BRCC has an entry now as well, can't vouch for it until this fall but I will try it out https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/col...-instant-stick
    I like the BRCC instant sticks better than the Starbucks VIA, although they are both similar. Also like the support BRCC gives military. If you need them quick it is easer to find the VIA on short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    I brew cowboy coffee on the trail.
    ...The grounds will sink to the bottom no need to strain.
    What is the appropriate LNT approach with regards to the grounds?

Starbucks Via, Columbian and French Roast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    What is the appropriate LNT approach with regards to the grounds?

I used to scatter the grounds away from anywhere someone would sit etc. Looks like dirt. At home every so often we put the grounds in the potted plants around the house. They seem to like it.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    I like the BRCC instant sticks better than the Starbucks VIA, although they are both similar. Also like the support BRCC gives military. If you need them quick it is easer to find the VIA on short notice.
    Great! Will definitely check em out
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

The grounds are organic, biodegradable.

Mount Hagen organic takes the cake IMO. Actually just reordered reordered this morning from Amazon. Tastes good cold or hot. Works well mixed with my carnation instant breakfast and coconut milk powder. I used to get individual packets but got tired of the extra waste so now buy in jar put in ziplock that can be reused it repurposed. They make the individual sticks also but I like it strong, put 3 sticks in my 20oz Gatorade bottle,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Drink the same thing I do at home, Whole bean coffee. Use GSI outdoors coffee rocket. $10, only a few ounces in weight.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Starbucks Via! they are kind of expensive but pretty tasty. Ive mixed them cold too.

Kuju pourover is what I take on the trail. The bag has paper holders that attaches to your mug, you just pour hot water into the bag, let it drip and soak if desired. https://www.kujucoffee.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

I am with Salty Sack on this — Mount Hagen instant.

Some months ago they put a sticker on it saying good for cold brew coffee too.

Sort of obvious, but As a creature of habit it took a sticker to change my life.

Every morning now.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    The grounds are organic, biodegradable.
    Using this alone is not LNT if used as a decision to not pack it out (not that you did). Just because something is organic and biodegradable does not mean that it won't take a long time to break down, nor a attractant to local wildlife, nor visually unappealing to see. LNT involves specific knowledge or defaults to pack out.

In this case I would be concerned about small animals which if they learn that smell might seek it out, perhaps meaning getting into other hikers backpacks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++