WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Coffee

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    They make Via iced coffee packets but they are sweetened.
    I never thought of “brewing” instant coffee in cold water, until I got a recent jar of Mount Hagen that had a sticker on it suggesting just that.

Tastes just fine, but on the expensive side.

I always use different coffee beans for my coffee machine. It grinds them and make nice espresso.
    I usually order different kinds of coffee beans on amazon and testing. I really like Brazil coffee, but once when I was in Mexico, I got some Mexican coffee mixes and I suppose it was one of the best coffee I've drunk ever. Unfortunately I don't know myself which sort of coffee it was.

There are many things I will cut corners on or do without on the trail.
    Freshly brewed coffee is not one of them.
    Not electric home drip coffee maker coffee, not instant (gag), I am talking the real deal, percolated hot and fresh right on the trail. Normal drip coffee maker coffee will not work properly in a percolator. It requires a coarser ground, -OR- even better, pack your own beans along and grind your own. There are coffee grinders no bigger than a salt shaker and they weigh nothing. BTW, my Stansport aluminum percolator nine cup coffee pot weighs next to nothing, as does the alcohol stove that drives it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    My barometer on LNT is usually "what if EVERYONE did it?"

Yes, lots of people use coffee grounds in their gardens or in their compost piles, but in the wilderness - often the areas are protected and restricted use, in which case introducing a foreign form of fertilizer will unnaturally alter the ecosystem.

Nobody in this thread would ever spread their coffee grounds in a campsite where it would get on the next person's clothes, tent, etc... we'd all be aware that the sweetener used would/could attract pests from ants to bears... nope, nobody here would do that. But we've all been out on the trail and seen where OTHER people have spit their toothpaste right on the ground in camp, and left food debris in shelters, in fire rings, etc. and spread their coffee grounds wherever they land, caring only for their convenience and of course the quality of their coffee.

Is spreading your coffee grounds away from camping and drinking sources a major violation of LNT principles that will get the area closed down for future hikers? No, but there are enough decent instant coffees out there, why not wait until the next trip into town to look forward to a real cup of coffee?

btw, I like the Starbucks VIAs or the Tasters Choice French Roast. The latter is a fraction the price of the former, and dang near as good!
    YES! few weeks ago was camped at a very full shelter area (lots of tents, maybe 30). In the morning I see a guy spitting his toothpaste on a bush right among where all the tents were! Well, at least I wasn't camping there again that night. Geez people!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm a fresh ground coffee fan when I'm at home, either aero-press, french-press or pour-over depending on how fussy I want to be. On the trail, I was used to using VIA packs, because of the ease of packing in and out, and it was a reasonable compromise, though not an ideal one, for weight, convenience, and flavor - though the little packs get annoying. Now I am a convert to Medaglia d'Oro - I put it into a ziploc and spoon out what I'm going to use. It's still not quite as good as brewed, but packable, light, convenient, and I don't deal with grounds. And it tastes good. Not great, but good.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

Just pop a NoDoz - easiest and cheapest method for caffeine (its costing pennies for the equivalent to a cup of coffee). I know, some people actually like the coffee, I never did and my only means of caffeine has always been taking it in a pill. Except when I used to do the energy drinks but I kicked all that. They break in half easy for a lesser dose to.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by The Miracle Man View Post
    There are many things I will cut corners on or do without on the trail...
    I one rigged up a small Bialetti Moka pot to work on an alcohol tea light stove. The mini stove and pot stand stored inside the pot. Never took it hiking, but it was a fun exercise. Probably the closest you could come to steam extracted esspresso on the trail.

I add a pinch of salt to a cup of any coffee, good quality or not, instant, brewed etc. IMO it mitigates bitterness.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Just pop a NoDoz - easiest and cheapest method for caffeine (its costing pennies for the equivalent to a cup of coffee). I know, some people actually like the coffee, I never did and my only means of caffeine has always been taking it in a pill. Except when I used to do the energy drinks but I kicked all that. They break in half easy for a lesser dose to.
    I don't like the taste of coffee, I love the taste of coffee! It's the only reason I get up in the morning. As a matter of fact I have to go to bed so I can get up and have some coffee

Carried Starbuck's via for years, but found Black Rifle and I think it tastes better!

True Confession here-I had an overnighter with friends to the local river trail and went "no stove" so I mooched a cup of French Press coffee and now I may be hooked on it.The coffee in question is called Bush Craft Coffee and is available on line.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post

I think I'm immune to caffeine. I dont notice a difference with or without. I can drink a pot of coffe before bed and sleep fine. I don't drink coffee for the caffeine. I drink coffee (and tea) because i like it. Having a hot beverage in the morning and evening is especially nice.

Me too. Coffee is my middle of the night snack.
    On topic, a few months ago on rec from someone in a camping forum I tried Medaglia D'Oro. And switched to it! Now a regular cup reminds me why I had a hard time starting coffee drinking. . . so nasty! Even a few if my coffee snob friends admit the MDO is not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Carried Starbuck's via for years, but found Black Rifle and I think it tastes better!
    I'm gunna try it.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    And a great way to support our US military!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++