Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Coffee

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-08-2012
    Location
    Taghkanic, New York, United States
    Posts
    3,081
    Journal Entries
    11

    Default

    My default is Taster's Choice 100% Columbian, perhaps a Via thrown in for variety, but the 100% takes 1st IMHO. For a instant it's pretty good even for home, and being on trail it is totally satisfying.

  2. #22

    Default

    I am of the camp that all instant coffee is garbage and any other method of making coffee is not worth the effort when backpacking.

    So i typically add instant coffee to my morning oatmeal or i make it premixed with sugar and nido...at home strictly a black coffee drinker.

    you could also do the back country breakfast shake thing: (it's good!)

    https://youtu.be/E3u5qBV1xV0

  3. #23

    Default

    Bustello in a ziplock bag.

  4. #24

    Default

    What is the availability of fresh roasted coffee at AT resupply stops?
    I'm wondering whether or not I should arrange shipments with one of my local roasters.

  5. #25
    Registered User swjohnsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    What is the availability of fresh roasted coffee at AT resupply stops?
    I'm wondering whether or not I should arrange shipments with one of my local roasters.
    Just about zero.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Just about zero.
    Thanks, that's what I suspected.
    I will plan accordingly...

  7. #27

    Default

    What is fresh roasted coffee? I can't say that I have ever experienced it.Where would you find it traditionally anyway?

  8. #28
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Fresh roasted to me is when they roast the coffee beans on spot. We have a place the " Black Dog " coffee shop they have a roaster and they get coffee beans from around the world and roast their own beans. So good, so fresh, so strong.... But I was thinking this crass was a troll, his very first post is about coffee on trail?

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-02-2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    506
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Is that Columbian coffee from South Carolina or perhaps its from British Columbia?

    It's a bit uncertain which is best as I don't see it, I only see Colombian coffee to chose from.

  10. #30
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Is that Columbian coffee from South Carolina or perhaps its from British Columbia?

    It's a bit uncertain which is best as I don't see it, I only see Colombian coffee to chose from.
    Are ya talking to me? I can't tell you didn't QUOTE. If you're it's the Black dog coffee @ the Shenandoah junction location. They have coffee beans from India, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Sumatra, they have a Dog Watch bean,and one of my favorite from Costa Rica. And they roast the beans their. I take the whole bean and grind myself as needed.

  11. #31

    Default

    Back before our local Mall which was the largest in the State at that time finally dried up and died,they had a coffee and tobacco shop located there.My brother,the coffee connisseur and almost gourmet chef turned me on to beans from there which I ground at home for a fairly decent cup of coffee.Still,had no idea when the beans were actually roasted so I doubt I have ever had a "fresh roast" cup of coffee.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Back before our local Mall which was the largest in the State at that time finally dried up and died,they had a coffee and tobacco shop located there.My brother,the coffee connisseur and almost gourmet chef turned me on to beans from there which I ground at home for a fairly decent cup of coffee.Still,had no idea when the beans were actually roasted so I doubt I have ever had a "fresh roast" cup of coffee.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/behmor-2...s-roaster.html

    Order some green beans and have fun!

  13. #33

    Default

    Thanks,CalebJ,gonna check this home roaster out.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    What is the availability of fresh roasted coffee at AT resupply stops?
    I'm wondering whether or not I should arrange shipments with one of my local roasters.
    DWG has a roasting coffee shop. Santa Mama i think is its name.

  15. #35
    Registered User greentick's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-03-2005
    Location
    Deep South
    Age
    51
    Posts
    836
    Images
    204

    Default

    "Fresh" roasted coffee should "rest" for a few days before being ground for optimal taste. I get mine roasted at time of order in the PNW and it's in my mailbox on the opposite corner of the country 2-3 days later. Perfect timing.

    Not saying you can't grind and drink it right after roasting, just not going to get the best flavor.

    I'm sure that you could have your roaster send a maildrop a few days ahead of you in this smartphone age, if you're into that.
    nous défions

    It's gonna be ok.

    Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •