WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Journal Entries

My default is Taster's Choice 100% Columbian, perhaps a Via thrown in for variety, but the 100% takes 1st IMHO. For a instant it's pretty good even for home, and being on trail it is totally satisfying.

I am of the camp that all instant coffee is garbage and any other method of making coffee is not worth the effort when backpacking.

So i typically add instant coffee to my morning oatmeal or i make it premixed with sugar and nido...at home strictly a black coffee drinker.

you could also do the back country breakfast shake thing: (it's good!)

https://youtu.be/E3u5qBV1xV0

Bustello in a ziplock bag.

What is the availability of fresh roasted coffee at AT resupply stops?
    I'm wondering whether or not I should arrange shipments with one of my local roasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    I'm wondering whether or not I should arrange shipments with one of my local roasters.
    Just about zero.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Just about zero.
    Thanks, that's what I suspected.
    I will plan accordingly...

What is fresh roasted coffee? I can't say that I have ever experienced it.Where would you find it traditionally anyway?

Fresh roasted to me is when they roast the coffee beans on spot. We have a place the " Black Dog " coffee shop they have a roaster and they get coffee beans from around the world and roast their own beans. So good, so fresh, so strong.... But I was thinking this crass was a troll, his very first post is about coffee on trail?

Journal Entries

Is that Columbian coffee from South Carolina or perhaps its from British Columbia?

It's a bit uncertain which is best as I don't see it, I only see Colombian coffee to chose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Is that Columbian coffee from South Carolina or perhaps its from British Columbia?

It's a bit uncertain which is best as I don't see it, I only see Colombian coffee to chose from.
    Are ya talking to me? I can't tell you didn't QUOTE. If you're it's the Black dog coffee @ the Shenandoah junction location. They have coffee beans from India, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Sumatra, they have a Dog Watch bean,and one of my favorite from Costa Rica. And they roast the beans their. I take the whole bean and grind myself as needed.

Back before our local Mall which was the largest in the State at that time finally dried up and died,they had a coffee and tobacco shop located there.My brother,the coffee connisseur and almost gourmet chef turned me on to beans from there which I ground at home for a fairly decent cup of coffee.Still,had no idea when the beans were actually roasted so I doubt I have ever had a "fresh roast" cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Back before our local Mall which was the largest in the State at that time finally dried up and died,they had a coffee and tobacco shop located there.My brother,the coffee connisseur and almost gourmet chef turned me on to beans from there which I ground at home for a fairly decent cup of coffee.Still,had no idea when the beans were actually roasted so I doubt I have ever had a "fresh roast" cup of coffee.
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/behmor-2...s-roaster.html

Order some green beans and have fun!

Thanks,CalebJ,gonna check this home roaster out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    DWG has a roasting coffee shop. Santa Mama i think is its name.

Images

"Fresh" roasted coffee should "rest" for a few days before being ground for optimal taste. I get mine roasted at time of order in the PNW and it's in my mailbox on the opposite corner of the country 2-3 days later. Perfect timing.

Not saying you can't grind and drink it right after roasting, just not going to get the best flavor.

I'm sure that you could have your roaster send a maildrop a few days ahead of you in this smartphone age, if you're into that.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Using this alone is not LNT if used as a decision to not pack it out (not that you did). Just because something is organic and biodegradable does not mean that it won't take a long time to break down, nor a attractant to local wildlife, nor visually unappealing to see. LNT involves specific knowledge or defaults to pack out.

In this case I would be concerned about small animals which if they learn that smell might seek it out, perhaps meaning getting into other hikers backpacks.
    My barometer on LNT is usually "what if EVERYONE did it?"

Yes, lots of people use coffee grounds in their gardens or in their compost piles, but in the wilderness - often the areas are protected and restricted use, in which case introducing a foreign form of fertilizer will unnaturally alter the ecosystem.

Nobody in this thread would ever spread their coffee grounds in a campsite where it would get on the next person's clothes, tent, etc... we'd all be aware that the sweetener used would/could attract pests from ants to bears... nope, nobody here would do that. But we've all been out on the trail and seen where OTHER people have spit their toothpaste right on the ground in camp, and left food debris in shelters, in fire rings, etc. and spread their coffee grounds wherever they land, caring only for their convenience and of course the quality of their coffee.

Is spreading your coffee grounds away from camping and drinking sources a major violation of LNT principles that will get the area closed down for future hikers? No, but there are enough decent instant coffees out there, why not wait until the next trip into town to look forward to a real cup of coffee?

btw, I like the Starbucks VIAs or the Tasters Choice French Roast. The latter is a fraction the price of the former, and dang near as good!

Cowboy coffee. Simple and delicious.

Boil water, add coffee ground, steep and filter.

I boil water in my cook pot and add the grounds. Steep for ~3 minutes and then filter through a GSI ultralight filter into a cup.

The filter is here: https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-.../dp/B001LF3ICU

Quote Originally Posted by scbobk11 View Post
    Cowboy coffee. Simple and delicious.

Boil water, add coffee ground, steep and filter.
    Agreed - I love cowboy coffee - even at home! But ...

You don't necessarily need to filter, you can just pour it off carefully. Let the coffee (and grounds) sit for a minute after boiling. The grounds will largely sink to the bottom. Some folks also do one or two common tricks to ensure even more of the grounds sink: rap the side of the pot with a spoon, and/or add a splash of cold water. Then pour off.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    btw, I like the Starbucks VIAs or the Tasters Choice French Roast. The latter is a fraction the price of the former, and dang near as good!
    Thanks. I just put in an order.

I am hoping it dissolves into ice cold water as easily as Mount Hagen, which is also rather expensive.

This order is for drinking at home, but for folk like me the convenience of making coffee without heating water cannot overestimated.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Thanks. I just put in an order.

I am hoping it dissolves into ice cold water as easily as Mount Hagen, which is also rather expensive.

This order is for drinking at home, but for folk like me the convenience of making coffee without heating water cannot overestimated.
    They make Via iced coffee packets but they are sweetened. I like to put a couple in my bp for an afternoon pick me up.

For home, the most economical method is to buy a cold brew pitcher. You can use any ground coffee and the results are as good as any craft cold coffee drink.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++