WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyhanger View Post
    Pros/cons of either? Thank you in advance.
    I don't have any experience with the Bowfin or Rainbow, but since the ProTrail and Notch have been brought up, I'll chip in there. They're very different shelters. I like the simplicity and packed size of the ProTrail, but much prefer the modularity of the Notch, the double doors, the peak being in the center, and being able to use the fly alone as a convenient tarp.
    The ProTrail has a lot more floorspace, especially compared to the Notch with an inner, which I only use when bugs require it.
    For me, it always boils down to how much room I actually need, and that is very little, so other features drive my choices.
    My friend's wife bought a ProTrail, but quickly sold it. He decided to give it another shot, bought one before a trip we did in 2018, and decided he didn't like it, either. I think that was mainly due to the entryway, and not being able to move around while sitting up.
    This is very much a perspective pic, just shows them better:
    20181013_005205.jpg
    While this is more representative of how they compare in real life:
    20180917_192650.jpg

Damn glamor shots!!

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    ...much prefer the modularity of the Notch, the double doors, the peak being in the center, and being able to use the fly alone as a convenient tarp.
    The ProTrail has a lot more floorspace, especially compared to the Notch with an inner, which I only use when bugs require it.
    I was thinking about this statement. It's far from the first time I've said something along those lines, but it struck me as being a bit ironic.
    There really isn't that much more usable space when just using the fly, it's a matter of perception. It always feels cramped to me when using the inner, and quite roomy without. The reality is that I'm not rolling around and into the vestibules of the Notch, there's a trekking pole on either side of me, either way! The narrow ends don't actually afford much room, either, 'cause if you do scoot or slide around too much, you're liable to end up with the foot of your bag and pad up against, or even sticking out from under, the fly.
    That bug netting really does bug me, though. Hate the stuff, especially in the Solomid XL I've used a few times, but only recently gotten an inner for. Its inner has more room than the Notch's but really doesn't *feel* that way, due the sloped walls putting the mesh closer on one side. By contrast, the tarp alone seems huge, especially with the pole kicked out, and a bathtub floor centered right in the middle.
    I'm always thinking about a roomier shelter for warm weather, but I'm also always working with fairly strict time constraints on the short trips I do outside of shoulder seasons and winter. Even then, my shelters are almost strictly for sleeping. So I don't care that much, but it may be something to think about for anyone who spends much time in the shelter(whatever y'all do in there!).

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I was thinking about this statement. It's far from the first time I've said something along those lines, but it struck me as being a bit ironic.
    There really isn't that much more usable space when just using the fly, it's a matter of perception. It always feels cramped to me when using the inner, and quite roomy without. The reality is that I'm not rolling around and into the vestibules of the Notch, there's a trekking pole on either side of me, either way! ...
    I haven't ever taken the interior our of my Notch, but I would assume that if it wasn't being used, the poles could be angled out quite a bit to provide more room between them.

On a different Notch topic, I've been in contact with Tarptent, and in the next couple weeks (today is 5/15/21) they are supposed to have the new interiors available that have the solid "roof" section with the mesh sides. I will buy one of those, because I've never needed solid sides, even on cold windy nights, yet I have felt the "misting" of condensation being knocked off the underside of the canopy by rain drops.

Somewhere in this thread, it was stated that a person doesn't know why anyone wouldn't use a 2 person shelter. I, for one, started with a two person shelter, and switched to a solo shelter because 1, I realized I didn't need to spread my stuff out inside the tent like I do when I'm car camping especially with two good vestibules to store things and 2, I did have trouble more than once on a trip finding a suitable spot for the larger footprint of the 2 person tent.

I love my Notch.

I too have a Notch. Have considered getting a bigger tent to avoid that coffin feel I decided I like everything else and to keep it for now I am usually only in the tent for sleeping and if I'm asleep, I don't care about the tent size. If I get a heavier tent, I will care about it all day while carrying it. If I'm stuck in the tent for a prolonged rain I curse the rain, not the tent. When I'm set up for sleeping there is not much in my tent other than bag, pillow, and pad. Pack hangs on the vestibule side of a pole. Shoes in the vestibule. Pocket contents in a pouch hanging from the roof. Love the easy set up.

Final Report from the OP: I used my new BA Copper Spur 1 on six-day, 100-mile trip from Lickskillet to Dragons Tooth, VA, over the past week. Very satisfied. Easy to set up. Plenty of room (I'm 6'2"). Thanks to all for helping me find a tent that served well.

P.S. On the first night (May 11), the wind on the high ridge above Dismal Creek valley was blowing about 30 miles an hour with sleet and snow. What the hey? Tent and I survived.

Oops, my previous post was meant for another thread. Disregard.

I just received my Notch Li, to replace my non-Li Notch I had for several years. I looked at various other options, but came back to the Notch.
    Pros:
    + Dual doors and vestibules
    + Decent space for sitting up
    + Poles do not block door access

Cons:
    - Larger footprint requires more space to set up
    - Practice to get it set up properly

I have not set up my Notch Li yet, and I am really hoping the pockets are not the same as my friend's StratoSpire Li - those internal pockets are USELESS. Everything falls out of them.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I just received my Notch Li, to replace my non-Li Notch I had for several years. I looked at various other options, but came back to the Notch.
    Pros:

Cons:

I have not set up my Notch Li yet, and I am really hoping the pockets are not the same as my friend's StratoSpire Li - those internal pockets are USELESS. Everything falls out of them.
    I keep my cell phone in one and my headlamp in the other. Seems to work fine for me. If you are a thrasher, it is possible to kick them out

recently bought the protrail Li and spend first night in it last weekend, super light, easy to setup and surprising room inside.

Thats very good to hear. I also recently purchased the Protrail Li but as of yet I have not had a chance to try it out. Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Pros:

Cons:

Heavier stuff, like a large cell, is going to fall out of them unless you do not roll during the night. I don't think I had one night when my phone or something else stayed in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    On a different Notch topic, I've been in contact with Tarptent, and in the next couple weeks (today is 5/15/21) they are supposed to have the new interiors available that have the solid "roof" section with the mesh sides. I will buy one of those, because I've never needed solid sides, even on cold windy nights, yet I have felt the "misting" of condensation being knocked off the underside of the canopy by rain drops.
    Apparently, the first person from tarptent who responded to my inquiry misunderstood my question. I asked again a couple weeks ago, and Henry responded. It seems that they are NOT going to produce a mesh interior with the solid roof panel, only the solid interior with the roof panel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++