WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hiker shape

Default Hiker shape

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    That's good, what pack?what weight, substance in pack?
    I train with a ULA Circuit filled with a dictionary, a ten pound sledge hammer, a 4” concrete block, and several thick books.

That will get it up to 40+ pounds no problem. Then carry it up and down stadium steps. That’ll give you a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deacon; 09-05-2020 at 19:40.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Better than a star master is a treadmill that rises to an angle above 15 degrees. Most only go to 15, but some models go as high as 30. I can't do steeper than 25 for more than a few minutes, so I usually stick to 20. I do that for 5-10 minutes 2-4xs a week before my workout as a warmup. Keeps my but and legs ready for the hills. Been doing it for 10+ years.
    Be Prepared

Good workouts for sure Deacon,Blackcloud. I was going to start my own gym in my 2 car garage but after some thought and looking at prices nope that ain't happening. I have a nice big gym by my work place I'll be checking out. My whole adult life I've always belong to a gym. Besides this covid crap I love going to the gym and pay 20-30 dollars a month and access to all the equipment like the treadmills and stair master, weights,medicine balls,kettle bells, chin-up bar , etc. And a pool,sauna,steam always a bonus.

I simply climb a mountain about once a week. But then, not everyone has mountains in their back yard

My young hiking companion decided she wants to do Mt Washington tomorrow. How could I say no?
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 09-06-2020 at 12:43.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I simply climb a mountain about once a week. But then, not everyone has mountains in their back yard

My young hiking companion decided she wants to do Mt Washington tomorrow. How could I say no?
    It's a no wonder you're slo-go'en, especially on them uphill ! I don't know how you could say no either.

I simply climb a mountain about once a week. But then, not everyone has mountains in their back yard ...
    That's what I do nowadays but my mountains in Vermont for the most part are not as high as the Whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    That's what I do nowadays but my mountains in Vermont for the most part are not as high as the Whites.
    Sill, the Greens can make you work hard for your miles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Sill, the Greens can make you work hard for your miles.
    Yes, and my hikes are focused on making elevation as opposed to miles. Try to do at least 1,000' per hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I train with a ULA Circuit filled with a dictionary, a ten pound sledge hammer, a 4” concrete block, and several thick books.

I read this yesterday and I'm still laughing about it. That's a very unique list.

(it sounds a little heavy for the Circuit though)

I think hiker shape isn't just about walking up mountains but being able to manage other necessities like squatting, climbing under/over blow downs, or removing brush from the trail. I took my mom camping a few years ago and she went to pee during the night and got stuck in a squat, her muscles were too weak to stand up. Us older folks need to stay strong so we can stay active.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I think hiker shape isn't just about walking up mountains but being able to manage other necessities like squatting, climbing under/over blow downs, or removing brush from the trail. I took my mom camping a few years ago and she went to pee during the night and got stuck in a squat, her muscles were too weak to stand up. Us older folks need to stay strong so we can stay active.
    Well that's a heck of a position to be in for poor ole mom . I agree with what you are saying especially if it's only one or two days climbing a week. What about the other days? And what about upper body strength and core training all that factors in for a stronger hiker especially in the tougher trails that require climbing. Then you have cardio and stretching. And your last sentence yes we can't do anything about the quantity of life, but we can do something about the quality of life!

Over the past month I’ve been training for a section hike in New York in two weeks. Bicycling ten miles every day, hard. This morning I loaded up the pack, drove to Port Clinton and hiked up out of the gap in both directions. Trying to strengthen the legs, increase cardio fitness and get in some pack time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    Over the past month I’ve been training for a section hike in New York in two weeks. Bicycling ten miles every day, hard. This morning I loaded up the pack, drove to Port Clinton and hiked up out of the gap in both directions. Trying to strengthen the legs, increase cardio fitness and get in some pack time as well.
    You're taking the exact right approach. I'm sure you'll do well. Maybe in addition to a training hike from Port Clinton, you could also hike up northward from Lehigh Gap.

Are you hiking all of NY or part? In my recollection, the trail east of the Hudson is markedly easier than the west side. In particular, the stretch from Greenwood Lake to the Bear Mountain bridge is quite steep with plenty of ups and downs. Once you cross the river, the ups and downs are punctuated with more rolling and gentler grades. You'll cruise there!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    You're taking the exact right approach. I'm sure you'll do well. Maybe in addition to a training hike from Port Clinton, you could also hike up northward from Lehigh Gap.

Are you hiking all of NY or part? In my recollection, the trail east of the Hudson is markedly easier than the west side. In particular, the stretch from Greenwood Lake to the Bear Mountain bridge is quite steep with plenty of ups and downs. Once you cross the river, the ups and downs are punctuated with more rolling and gentler grades. You'll cruise there!
    Going from Rte. 17A in Bellevale to Rte. 22 above Pawling. Hope you are right about the terrain after the Hudson crossing. Thanks.

Sadly, my hiker shape is round at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Sadly, my hiker shape is round at the moment.
    If it wasn't for that pack then you could roll down them hills pretty easily, you know being all round

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    If it wasn't for that pack then you could roll down them hills pretty easily, you know being all round

Which would definitely save my knees!

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Personally, 3-6 days week of 4 miles jogging/walking where I end up with 4+ miles complete over 45 minutes and 3 days of weights in the gym. This keeps me pretty much able to hit the trail and do 20-30+ mpd out of the gate. I think like a lot of things, you have to figure out what works for you and what you are willing to commit to sticking with. For me, cardio is the key. If my cardio is poor, my mpd is poor.
    I'm doing about the same thing.
    Run 2 miles and walk an additional 2 miles every day.
    Plus throw in Soccer reffing on the weekends increases the steps - running.
    I'm also putting about 35 lbs. in the pack and walking on trails or on the grass in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post

That will get it up to 40+ pounds no problem. Then carry it up and down stadium steps. That’ll give you a good start.

I put water bottles in the pack. No sharp edges.
    The type I get from juice.

I am new to backpacking... I have been hiking all summer to get in shape for this spring's trek. Recently, I started training with my pack.
    I have an Osprey Aura 65L, I love it, however I have a question...
    The day following a four mile hike (with my pack full) my hip bones were so sore to the touch. In fact, my left hip bone had a little bruising. Is this normal? Is my pack adjusted to my body properly? Or is this where the good ol' 'Vitamin I' comes in handy and becomes my best friend?
    -If it betters our world, I'm here for it. ♥

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++