WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Glasgow, VA parking/shuttle

I'm planning a section hike from Catawba to Glasgow in early September. It looks like there is some parking at route US 501/Va.130. Can anyone verify this and if so, would it be safe for me to leave my car there for 5-6 days?

Also, I have a shuttle driver in mind to contact but if anyone has any recommendations, please share. Thank you!

Thats up in the Homer Witcher (540-266-4849), Gary Serra (757-681-2254) neck of the woods. Pretty Sure it is out of Don Raines range(more south around Pearisburg) and I have not heard anything about Mark "strings" in many years up around SNP(further north)
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

+1 for Homer and Gary - Homer returned me to Catawba from Glasgow and Gary returned me to Glasgow from Waynesboro. Both good guys and very dependable.

I left my car at the US 501 trailhead near Glasgow for a week with no issues.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    +1 for Homer and Gary - Homer returned me to Catawba from Glasgow and Gary returned me to Glasgow from Waynesboro. Both good guys and very dependable.

I left my car at the US 501 trailhead near Glasgow for a week with no issues.
    More or less was the same trips for me. Anyone know how Homer is doing? Last I checked on him he was having some health issues but was still working on the trail.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    More or less was the same trips for me. Anyone know how Homer is doing? Last I checked on him he was having some health issues but was still working on the trail.
    According to the latest AT Shuttle listing, Homer Witcher has cut back on his shuttle operation:

"We are not shuttling anyone to the trail. We are providing hikers that are already on the trail with
    a ride to their vehicle or public transportation."

Adam Stanley operates out of Glasgow: "Stanimal’s Shuttle Service 540-480-8325 / [email protected]"

Don Raines is operating: "Hoofers 540-921-7433 (cell) / [email protected] Owner: Donald Raines."

Mark is operating, but on a schedule mainly limited to weekends: "Strings Hiker Shuttle 304-433-0028 (cell) Owner: Mark Cusic - “Strings”."

Gary Serra is currently not operating, but may start up October 1st.

All of this information, including parking options, is posted on the link that Gambit McCrae has in his signature in the previous post: AT Shuttle List

I recommend that you check the listing frequently. The Covid pandemic caused a lot of disruption in the operations of many shuttle operators, and the resurgence of the virus may cause future service disruptions. As new information is received from the various operators, the list is immediately updated.

You might also download the "Hostels and Lodgings" listing, also available for download at the WhiteBlaze home page, as the various operations may offer shuttle & parking options.

These complete listings are available for download & can be found on the WhiteBlaze home page. Just click on the "Shuttle Providers" , or, "Hostels and Lodgings" links at the top of the page for a pdf download.

Last edited by atraildreamer; 07-30-2020 at 10:45.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I had also contacted the Natural Bridge Trail Club about the parking near 501 at the bridge and they just recommended I not park there due to reports of vandalism. They didn't say when. That said, there'd be nothing of value in my car, so I'm not sure at this point.

I have used Homer and Don before, but wasn't sure about Homer's health. I've looked at listings in various guides, I was just curious about personal recommendations for that area. Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMartin View Post
    I'm planning a section hike from Catawba to Glasgow in early September. It looks like there is some parking at route US 501/Va.130. Can anyone verify this and if so, would it be safe for me to leave my car there for 5-6 days?

Also, I have a shuttle driver in mind to contact but if anyone has any recommendations, please share. Thank you!
    If listed shuttle drivers can't make it happen, send me a message. You'll be in my backyard, happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    If listed shuttle drivers can't make it happen, send me a message. You'll be in my backyard, happy to help.
    Thanks! Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Anyone know how Homer is doing? Last I checked on him he was having some health issues but was still working on the trail.
    I met Homer and his wife on the trail N of Pearisburg earlier in the year. He was a machine! They were hiking to all the shelters they maintain and leaving new brooms.
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++