WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Altra superior users input...

I’ve been loving Timps after they reduced volume on the LP few years back. Tried new Olympus in my typical 1 size up in 13 but had heel slip and 12.5 felt to snug mid foot. I love the fit of timp 1.5 as feel like wearing slippers. Never tried superior or any minimal Cush shoe. I’ve read good reviews but not sure about the low cushion for next hike in Sierra rocks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear Superiors regularly on longer hikes (have them on now, come to think of it). They're -very- comfortable for me up to about ten miles. After that it seems like the rocks start to push through a bit more. I haven't been able to narrow down whether the cushioning itself gets compressed during that time or I just get more sensitive. It's worth mentioning that I don't have the rock plates installed - decided to try it without them, and they disappeared before I got around to testing them with. It's also nothing major, as I still use them beyond twenty miles quite often. They're the most cushioned trail shoes I've got.

They're also very comfortable to run in both on and off trail.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I wear Superiors regularly on longer hikes (have them on now, come to think of it). They're -very- comfortable for me up to about ten miles. After that it seems like the rocks start to push through a bit more. I haven't been able to narrow down whether the cushioning itself gets compressed during that time or I just get more sensitive. It's worth mentioning that I don't have the rock plates installed - decided to try it without them, and they disappeared before I got around to testing them with. It's also nothing major, as I still use them beyond twenty miles quite often. They're the most cushioned trail shoes I've got.

They're also very comfortable to run in both on and off trail.
    Perfect. I just ordered some to try out..I’ve never used a minimal cushion TR. not sure if the 300 mile rocky HST and JMT would be a smart move as Sierra is mostly rock. Also my pack will be heavier with 7.5 day food in the can first leg of trip. Assuming pack will around 30lbs with food and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

I don't have experience with the Superior but I do with the King MT which has even less stack than the Superior. I can only speak for the original model, but they have had the best grip of all Altra shoes I have tried. As far as cushion, I found that anything up to 20mpd they were fine. Once I went past that, my feet got sore but they were always fine again by the next morning. My longest day in them was a 32.2 on the Pinhoti, 60-70% of that was road walk. The rock plates are built in so that probably helps after looking at CalebJ's comments on Superiors sans rock plate.

I will see if I can find the chart that shows the average recommended mpd for each of the Altra trail models. I can't seem to locate it at the moment.
    Last edited by JC13; 07-30-2020 at 14:45.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I will see if I can find the chart that shoes the average recommended mpd for each of the Altra trail models. I can't seem to locate it at the moment.
    I'm curious to see that as well. Had no idea such a thing existed.

Leonidas

I found a chart with the same data but some links and such for pricing.
    https://outdoorcrunch.com/altra-olympus-3-5-vs-4-0/
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I found a chart with the same data but some links and such for pricing.
    https://outdoorcrunch.com/altra-olympus-3-5-vs-4-0/
    I was looking for some great hiking shoes. Any one could suggest?

Images

I wear Superior. Currently on my 2nd pair of 3.5s. Went 115 miles on a COVID aborted thru. Will be back out in Mar 2021. I love them personally. Haven’t tried the new 4.0s yet. I was leaning to try the Timp 1.5s but didn’t yet. Now that the Timps are on 2.0 I need to try them on to see if fit still the same.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

++ New Posts ++