WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Horse and Cooper Gaps

Between these 2 locations, which would be a better place to park (and sleep in) a car overnight?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I'd say it all depends on how you feel about doing Sassafrass Mountain the next day. If you want to skip it, park at Cooper if you're going NOBO. I remember both gaps as having enough parking for several cars, with Cooper maybe having a little more room? And really, it's a 10 minute drive between the two, so if you don't like the looks of one of them, just drive to the other.

Thank you. I was particularly interested in the number of cars that could comfortably fit (we have 2) and how quiet one would be compared to the other. When I saw they were along the same road it became clear that question was moot. Thanks for the input though.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

cooper gap is best. was there 3 weeks ago

TY Wolf. It's our first choice but the last time I was there (Oct 2016) it seemed busy and crowded. This may have been in part because much of the parking was taken up by a military water tank (not complaining, it was dry season!).

BTW....will likely see you this Oct. Want me to bring you anything "RI" for a taste of home?

Horse Gap would be my preference. As you noted Cooper Gap gets a lot of traffic and sometimes Army Ranger games. Both are safe for parking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    TY Wolf. It's our first choice but the last time I was there (Oct 2016) it seemed busy and crowded. This may have been in part because much of the parking was taken up by a military water tank (not complaining, it was dry season!).

BTW....will likely see you this Oct. Want me to bring you anything "RI" for a taste of home?
    How 'bout some coffee syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    How 'bout some coffee syrup?
    Certainly! I’ll put it on my list and let you know in a pm just before I head that way.

++ New Posts ++