WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Loosing toe nails

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I have had a black toenail on my right foot since July 4th.Walking downhill was the culprit and it was not that long of a hike either.Just a simple overnighter walking a river trail in a local national forest.

Nail is stable and not going anywhere like yours is.I wonder if you could soak yours in epsome salt nightly and douse it with hydrogen peroxide and tape it up after daily maintenance on the trail?I like the idea of the film canister;don't know how comfortable that would be.Have you got time to get larger shoes with more toe box room?Also,don't forget to take some pain killer in your kit.

Having never lost a toenail before I would like to hear the experience of those that have.How painful and how long to get over it?
    Most thru-hikers will loose some toe nails before they finish. One reason is your feet get larger as you hike making your shoes tight in the toe area. As you hike, with a heavy pack going downhill your toes contact the front of your boots. Damaging your nails. Hiking hours on end with wet feet also leads to loosing toe nails. It’s a thru- hiker problem you have to except.
    Grampie-N->2001

Black toenails are familiar to ultrarunners.. it's why we size our shoes carefully, generally at least one size larger than street shoes. The black toenails are from impact with the front of the shoe. Often it's the second toe from the big toe, which can be longer than the big toe in many people. I've delt with it dozens of times over 20 years, it can look bad but is generally painful. Good reason to always trim your toe nails short before a trail run or long hike.

Sorry, I meant "generally NOT painful".

You might want to take along some 3M Vet Bond (Amazon).you can coat the 3xposed nail bed and any edge on the remaining nail. Also handy for minor cuts.

I have reviewed scores or maybe a hundred gear lists and always wonder why I did not see nail clippers. I cannot go more than two weeks without tending to mine. Is it possible poor toenail care is part of the problem? Long nails hitting the end of the shoe? Is it just not having sufficient space at the toe box or possibly incorrect tying of the shoe? Does anyone use a heel lock to keep it stable? I tighten up starting a descent. Is losing toe nails unavoidable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kufPloum_2w

Update-my toenail fell off finally.No problem.What has grown back in the meantime seems to be very thin so I am just chalking it up to Old Age.

Thanks for that update there five,

Ok I'm back I had to go throw up .

It's hell getting old ain't it brother?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    I have reviewed scores or maybe a hundred gear lists and always wonder why I did not see nail clippers. I cannot go more than two weeks without tending to mine.
    Same observation of gear lists - no nail clippers. And that is not something I am interested in sharing or using from a hiker box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    Same observation of gear lists - no nail clippers. And that is not something I am interested in sharing or using from a hiker box.
    For a long time I thought my tiny scissors was enough until I tried cutting a soft nail on a wet foot. Definitely not the tool for the job heh. Now I have the holy grail of nail clippers in my FAK. It is tiny, but has a built in file. Perfect for on trail maintenance.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++