WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Maine game wardens rescue injured hiker on remote part of Appalachian Trail - WMTW Po

This is interesting. The article said she had a cell signal and called for help. Isn't this precisely where Inchworm disappeared and had no signal? Maybe the coverage has improved recently? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    This is interesting. The article said she had a cell signal and called for help. Isn't this precisely where Inchworm disappeared and had no signal? Maybe the coverage has improved recently? Just curious.
    "Wardens said she was able to notify authorities she was injured through an emergency locator beacon she carried with her."

Wondering if she fell trying to cross creek. Haven't been to that area yet so can't picture it in my mind.

So glad she was rescued! Having an emergency beacon possibly saved her life. I'm older, hike alone, and frequently don't have a cell phone signal even on local trails. Last Christmas my son gave me a non-subscription emergency beacon device (ACR). The weight penalty is well worth the peace of mind! Glad this story has a happy ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    Wondering if she fell trying to cross creek. Haven't been to that area yet so can't picture it in my mind.
    It says she fell 40 feet. The river crossing is at a very narrow and steep notch in the mountain. The trail could climb up some ledges there, which can be slippery. It's easier to slip and fall when going down hill, the article doesn't say which direction she was going in. I haven't hiked through there in many years so I forget exactly what it's like.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) have dropped precipitously in both price and weight. The newest versions are really quite small.
    Be Prepared

Mine is size of small Walkee-Talkee and clips on. Weighs a few ounces. I would only use it as last resort, but it reassures my family and friends knowing that I can get help in an emergency. It's not a Spot and cant send messages but i dont have to pay a monthly fee. That's all i need. Sporadic cell signal allows me to checkin with family often enough using phone.

Given the lack of information on the location of the accident its hard to make comparisons to Inchworms location. Inchworm was west of Spaulding on the Northwest corner of the mountain in a very remote valley. No doubt the Navy had very good communications in that valley for their purposes but zero demand for cell services.

I do not remember any steep slopes like the ones described where the recent hiker got in trouble on the west side Spaulding, there are a few steep spots on the East side of the Spaulding summit cone but there are several tricky slopes like that coming up the back side of Sugarloaf from Caribou Valley Road. That area is also on the NW side of the mountain is out of the line of sight of the Sugarloaf summit. The Sugarloaf summit is equipped with cell antennas and there is good coverage on the developed east side along RT 27 but coverage drops off quickly once the AT drops off the ridgeline to the West North and South.

She's a strong hiker, wiped out on pine needles, and 40 feet sounds about right from what she told me.
    She had a SPOT device and it worked as expected.
    Good outcome.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Having a PLB is never a bad idea.Glad she's ok.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

I wish they still did North Woods Law in Maine

++ New Posts ++