WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default PA, NJ, NY Trail Closures?

I’ve been looking at the AT Closures information for PA, NJ and NY on the AT Conservancy web site. From what I read, it appears to me the shelters and privy’s are not to be used and public facilities along the trail may be closed but the trail itself (on federal, state or other property) is open for backpacking and tent camping in approved areas. Am I missing any known current trail closures?

Just to be clear, I'd like to backpack this area in the fall if its open. Nothing political (left or right) intended by my question.
    Last edited by C2; 08-18-2020 at 11:04.

I can confirm that the overnight AT parking lots in NJ are open again (b/c the 8pm curfew is lifted). I am day hiking in NJ this week and will probably be able to check a privy or two.

The trail itself is open for hiking.

Something else to be concerned about hiking and traveling in NJ. Apparently there's a invasive species of insect that is a very good hitchhiker. Called the spotted lanternfly, there is a eight County quarantine (not sure what that means) for people traveling in and out of Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Hunterdon, Mercer,Salem, Somerset and Warren counties. People should inspect their vehicles for hitchhikers as well as firewood stones etc for egg masses. They're invasive to 70 species of plant life, crops and hardwoods. They look like a pretty colorful moth, but we are supposed to kill it if we see them. They're also in pa. If spotted or you get a picture contact [email protected]

I am Doing DWG to NY/NJ State Line end of September. My understanding is that any shelters/facilities on Federal property are closed. In NJ, that only includes the Pochuck Shelter. I live near the Wawayanda Shelter and will check in there to see what, if anything, is closed there. I also understand that you can still camp with tents and hammocks at these shelters but can't use the shelter, Privy or Picnic tables.

Also: if you see a Spotted Lantern Fly, Kill it! Last year I saw lots in PA. These are really bad insects and will kill our NJ Grapes, and probably a bunch of other plants.

Here is the closures listed by the ATC:

https://appalachiantrail.org/explore.../a-t-closures/

Happy Hiking, Stay Safe!
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

Eckville and 501 shelters in PA are closed (but they're right by a road and have care takers).

Visited one shelter and spoke to a LASHER. No privies are locked...rangers have been friendly enough to backpackers. Some services are not available this year. (like hostels or AMC huts). NJ shelters that normally have water caches still have them according to hikers and shelter logs. Also the trail in NJ may not be as maintained as normal--blow downs and overgrowth.

Images

Thanks all! Very much appreciate the updates.

Images

Another quick question as I plan my trip. Are there any issues with taking a backpack on the the Metro-North Railroad? I looked at the MTA website and didn't see any restrictions listed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Metro North Railroad

any issues with taking a backpack on the the Metro-North Railroad?
    I've ridden this train a few times without any problems due to my backpack -- it's treated like any other piece of luggage. Just to be 100% safe, I'd recommend not carrying any flammable liquids or canisters on board, if at all possible.

Images

I have hiked the trail from Springer to Delaware Water Gap.
    Just wrapped up PA and will be heading into NJ. It is what it is but just wondering if the trail in NJ is as rocky as the trail in PA?

Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by C2 View Post
    I have hiked the trail from Springer to Delaware Water Gap.
    Just wrapped up PA and will be heading into NJ. It is what it is but just wondering if the trail in NJ is as rocky as the trail in PA?

Thanks
    There are some rocky sections, especially around Sunfish Pond, but the relentless rocks will soon end.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

One thing you may not be aware of is that NY has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for many out of state visitors, with Florida being on that list.

NJ has the same list of restricted states but only "strongly encourages" the quarantine.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by kolokolo View Post
    There are some rocky sections, especially around Sunfish Pond, but the relentless rocks will soon end.
    The relentless rocks will indeed end, but NJ and even NY are still pretty rocky in my opinion. At least more so than the southern half of the AT.
    -tagg

Images

Hiked about 1/2 NJ a couple of weeks ago - signage indicates shelters and privies are closed; in practice they're open.

One pro tip, if you can stay OFF the Stairway to Heaven on the weekend. There is a farm store at the foot of the mountain that attracts hundreds of visitors when the weather is nice and we encountered > 500 people on the stairway itself. No way to safely social distance.

Images

Thanks all for the insight and guidance.

Did your plans change or will you be hiking through NJ into NY?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Sorry for the belated response. I made it to Culvers Gap (NJ) on that trip. I hope to pick up from there later this spring and complete another 300 - 400 miles.

++ New Posts ++