WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lurkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    When that ratio goes up it points to an active thread generally. The views go up faster than the number of posts. There are about 30 people who have posted into the the thread. So if those 30 people reread the thread after someone posts that's up to 30 x 50 rereads which counts as a a view. There is a fair share of lurkers, think the split between introverts and extroverts, and they may be rereading. Some folks my find the topic interesting but not have anything to add as someone already said what they might say or they are a new hiker.
    One other thought - does each page count as a view? That is this post now has 2 pages, so if open Page 2, then go back to Page 1 (since I likely didn't read all the posts there that occurred previously), does that count as one or two views? If 2, that could up numbers quickly on the longer posts where you might have a couple/several pages of replies to read each day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    One other thought - does each page count as a view? That is this post now has 2 pages, so if open Page 2, then go back to Page 1 (since I likely didn't read all the posts there that occurred previously), does that count as one or two views? If 2, that could up numbers quickly on the longer posts where you might have a couple/several pages of replies to read each day.
    Not sure but I am testing it, hence the note. If you repeatedly open a thread the view count will go up. Page size can be set by the user so I would think you might want to ignore a page turn in the thread but I don't know if that is the case. View counts don't update automatically though, there's a lag set to avoid taxing resources so I have a thread marked to test.

Note-Members 416
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

"Those who lurk also learn"

Participating in a discussion is not necessary to get the benefit of usable information. Perhaps the best example is Wikipedia, many people contribute to topics on that site, though most use it as a reference source. There are not many sources of hiking/backpacking information for our community that are as robust and timely at the level of White Blaze. I would suggest this site has probably saved many folks from a miserable time, perhaps actually saving a life or two with the information found here.

Rare is the opportunity to thank those who created this wonderful site and keep it running, the moderators (who's patience far exceeds mine), and all who simply read through the posts or participate in these conversations, from whom I have learned much. A very unique intersection of like minded people. Thank you White Blaze!

Images

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to lurk I go...

I have a theory, based on multiple forums I've been part of, it's by no means specific to WB. It's tough to break into a new website as a new user and be accepted.

- Most sites already have an "in crowd" that seems to know each other. It can be tough for new members to be brave enough to intrude on what they see as a private conversation among friends.
    - There's always a cantankerous few, who attack entire generations, rather than debating a specific behavior. They might even get cranky if someone repeats a question that was clearly addressed five years ago. That's not a great way to encouraging growth of conversation.
    - Moderators who will smash any agenda but their own. I actually love the balance that WBs moderators show, it's a big part of why I've stuck around.

These are just some of the intentional/unintentional reasons I believe (my opinion) gave a chilling effect on more members commenting.

Some personal reasons I don't respond, I've seen no patterns, it's just me.

- I get unreasonably annoyed when people post self promotional links to their youtube channel/blog AND they don't respond to conversation.
    - The local experts have already given better advice than I could give. While I live in NH, I'm by no means an expert on NH trails, and and I'm just happy to read what those folks have to say on the topics about NH trails to better plan my trips.

I never post unless I have something brilliant to add!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Me too, This is not a post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    I confess. I’m a lurker. My posts to years membership ratio is pretty low.
    I confess. I post to much and don't lurk enough. Ahh that felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    "Those who lurk also learn"

Participating in a discussion is not necessary to get the benefit of usable information. Perhaps the best example is Wikipedia, many people contribute to topics on that site, though most use it as a reference source. There are not many sources of hiking/backpacking information for our community that are as robust and timely at the level of White Blaze. I would suggest this site has probably saved many folks from a miserable time, perhaps actually saving a life or two with the information found here.

Rare is the opportunity to thank those who created this wonderful site and keep it running, the moderators (who's patience far exceeds mine), and all who simply read through the posts or participate in these conversations, from whom I have learned much. A very unique intersection of like minded people. Thank you White Blaze!
    +100% concur with this thank you White Blaze!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++