WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lurkers?

Default Lurkers?

so l'm up late again along with the trolls and the crickets.... and just noticing the Replies to views ratio. For instance the "Hiking in the heat " thread there is 3,735 views and 51 Replies. And the "what do I do if I see a bear "thread there is 3,894 views and 76 Replies. I wish more folks would offer their opinions objectively or subjectively..
    Last edited by JNI64; 08-20-2020 at 01:20.

I know I come back multiple times to a thread, pre- & post-reply, to see how the conversation is progressing. Does that sort of thing add multiple views?

I don't always have something to add to the threads that I read. Often, someone has already mentioned an idea or opinion similar to mine so I don't feel a need to add any salt to the soup.

I also don't feel the need to clutter a thread with comments that don't add anything or might derail from the discussion. I don't need to say "I read this" just for the sake of making noise.

Journal Entries

Long ago, soon after I joined WB, I started a discussion that touched on similar things. Why so many views, but so few replies? Why do some members rarely post? Why are there so many inactive members? Does everybody leave after they finish the AT or whatever their goal is? etc etc. So many things to ponder in the quiet hours of the night!

Some people are shy, just wanna read, not contribute. Or maybe they shared their thoughts a time or two and got bit by a gruff response.

Some "views" aren't really people at all, I'm told. They're "bots" which I gather are electronic data gatherers. Not sure if they're harmless or not...

I enjoy the give and take, the sharing of information and insight, the encouragement to newbies and oldies alike. Even if we never meet face to face, this is a community of sorts, with common experiences and interests. When someone drops out, either through death or disinterest, we often see a ripple (as with the recent loss of Rain Man.)

Some threads are rambles, essentially social in nature, small talk. If the topic is interesting and I have something to say, I might join in. Others are straightforward with information/opinion regarding specific trail questions. For those, I don't want to clutter the thread if I'm not contributing any value.

Occasionally I'll give a light boost to a thread that has zero or few responses, just to encourage the poster that WB is a friendly place.

Enough rambling... I gotta get to work!

I’ve been a member since 2004, or so. I think I’ve got only about 5-600 posts. I read Whiteblaze most every day. My saying, “Yeah, what he said,” doesn’t substantively add to the discussion, so I read what others have posted and drift away. Maybe we should be thankful for those that don’t add to the noise. As Lonewolf says, “It’s just walking.” There may not be that much to add to the discussion.

Bots Bots Bots...and Spiders...

Click on the tab for "Forum", scroll to the bottom. When I just checked it, there were 35 of us on the entire forum. And 687!!!!! "Guest". Those are bots, spiders, Google looking to see what other goods and services it should be offering to each of us....

So I would conclude a large number of "views" are not people at all.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

For some reason the website sometimes fails to recognize me and I have to log in again. Sometimes I don't bother but then, when I decide to add a comment, I have to first log in and then go back to the thread, thus visiting twice. In fact it happened just now.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Bots Bots Bots...and Spiders...

Click on the tab for "Forum", scroll to the bottom. When I just checked it, there were 35 of us on the entire forum. And 687!!!!! "Guest". Those are bots, spiders, Google looking to see what other goods and services it should be offering to each of us....

So I would conclude a large number of "views" are not people at all.
    Wow! This is crazy! But I suppose spot on. They're always watching !

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    so l'm up late again along with the trolls and the crickets.... and just noticing the Replies to views ratio. For instance the "Hiking in the heat " thread there is 3,735 views and 51 Replies. And the "what do I do if I see a bear "thread there is 3,894 views and 76 Replies. I wish more folks would offer their opinions objectively or subjectively..
    When that ratio goes up it points to an active thread generally. The views go up faster than the number of posts. There are about 30 people who have posted into the the thread. So if those 30 people reread the thread after someone posts that's up to 30 x 50 rereads which counts as a a view. There is a fair share of lurkers, think the split between introverts and extroverts, and they may be rereading. Some folks my find the topic interesting but not have anything to add as someone already said what they might say or they are a new hiker.

There's also 54 bots and spiders crawling the forum as I write this post. Sorry arachnophobics and robophobics!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    For some reason the website sometimes fails to recognize me and I have to log in again. Sometimes I don't bother but then, when I decide to add a comment, I have to first log in and then go back to the thread, thus visiting twice. In fact it happened just now.
    One reason could be your browser is set to clear your cookies but I also think I saw a different reason mentioned recently and if I find it I will message you about it.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    One reason could be your browser is set to clear your cookies but I also think I saw a different reason mentioned recently and if I find it I will message you about it.
    This was the thread https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...ing-Logged-Out
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Thank you Gator for all this insight.

Thank you Gator for all this insight.
    Ah I was mainly summing up what others wrote.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Thank you. It occurs on multiple devices.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Wow! This is crazy! But I suppose spot on. They're always watching !
    Let's not forget that they are also listening.Wife and I had a discussion about who made those mountain bikes we bot in the 80's.
    Shortly thereafter she gets Schwinn bike ad on FB.

Journal Entries

I lead walks and I have noticed that many of the E-mails to me are from Google bots. They all start the same and one said I can't find the location on Google maps. I replied that if you have legs you should go there and report back to me. The replies went dead. A few days ago I got another one (these are all from Gmail) and I said nice try Gbot.

Images

I confess. I’m a lurker. My posts to years membership ratio is pretty low.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    I confess. I’m a lurker. My posts to years membership ratio is pretty low.
    Confessions are so good for the soul ! Thank you!

When I first bring up WhiteBlaze (which is rare these days), I browse "Today's Posts" and "New Posts" first. If I'm interested in a thread, I'll click on it and scroll down. I'll only log in if I want to comment.

Agreed- I only log in if I want to post (which is rare)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++