WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking with Apple iwatch

Just bought the wife and I iwatch 3's to test them out. I put this in the straight forward forum because I wanted to exclude all post's about how knowledgeably ruins a hike/ isn't needed. Not interested in those comments.

I am interested in peoples experience with:
    Day to day use of the watch and how you use it while hiking
    How is the recharging of the watch on trail?

I am guessing guthooks does not show up on iwatch?
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I use an Apple Watch 5 series on the trail. If kept in "theater mode," I usually recharge every other day. It charges relatively quickly. I use it for altitude, compass, mileage, and the usual time and weather (when I turn my phone back on from airplane mode). Guthooks does not show up on it. There are other apps that do--Alltrails, Wikiloc, and I believe Gaia may, although I haven't used it on the watch.

I use it usually, I keep it on theater mode as well, and just use the built ins for mileage, pace, elevation change, etc. I’ve never done more than two days on trail, so I didn’t need to recharge at all.

I've asked numerous Apple Watch owners if they thought it was "worth it." Universally, they all agreed the only really useful feature is the fitness tracking. For backpacking, there are better, focused alternatives.

Journal Entries

With all the problems associated with these watches, such as charging, connectivity etc. I decided it's not worth it. I simply got a solar watch. No battery changes needed. Just give me the time. I do agree though that an altimeter ma be useful for approaching storms and the elevations. A map would be more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I've asked numerous Apple Watch owners if they thought it was "worth it." Universally, they all agreed the only really useful feature is the fitness tracking. For backpacking, there are better, focused alternatives.
    Completely agree. It was fun to go back and look at the fitness tracking and I also like wearing it when listening to music while hiking because I can leave my phone in my pack and not have to get it out to change volume, skip songs, etc., but overall it just wasn't worth the extra hassle. I was able to get by with charging it every 3 days.
    -tagg

My ancient, antique Apple iPhone 5s has tracked my every step since new.
    How is an iWatch any better or different?
    Hey?
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Unless I'm wrong, the I watch is supposed to be coupled to the phone. If you don't have that, does it still do anything? I'm not trying to hijack the thread but among us things like durability, waterproof, waterproof,waterproof is a big factor for anything. Dead batteries are another. Another phenomenon I've noticed is one outlet and at least 6 phones plugged in. Now try that with the watch and I'm sure anyone will chuck it.

++ New Posts ++