WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default folding titanium spoon

version 1

Surprisingly not that difficult. Fortunately I already own all the tools needed.

First get two spoons. I combined a Vargo unpolished spoon (19g/0.67oz, 8.5 inches) with a Lixada polished bowl spoon (17g/0.6oz, 9 inches). I like the bowl shape on the Lixada. The handles of both are the same shape (this is important).

Obtain a thumb screw, small nut, and washer. I went with size M5. I purchased galvanized hardware because it was less expensive and I wanted to see if my idea worked. Now that I'm comfortable with my design I have ordered stainless steel hardware. I ordered a shorter thumbscrew (shorter thread and flatter head) as the one I used is too long.

Measure twice, cut once. The spoon with the desired bowl will be the longer piece. I also allowed for a little over an inch of overlap.

I used a Dremel tool with cutting disk to cut the spoons. One cutting disk per spoon. I buy cutting disks in bags of 100 so have plenty.
    I used a drill with titanium bits. I found going straight to the larger bit didn't work too well so drilled a pilot hole with a very small bit, probably a 1/8. I then used a bit that was about equal in diameter to the M5 thumbscrew. The bits are loose in a bag so I don't know the exact measurement. I eyeballed it and was close enough.

I used files of various shapes to smooth the rough edges.

Assemble.

Open it's about 9.5 inches, closed it's right at 6 inches. The photos don't quite line up but those are the measurements. It weighs 33.5g/1.18oz. It feels quite sturdy, that is, I don't anticipate problems with it bending under a spoonful of rice or couscous or whatever. Might not be strong enough to scoop hard ice cream though. The bowl is angled from the handle slightly so making the folding handle longer not really practical, unless of course the bowl angle is adjusted.
    spoon before.jpgspoon after open 1.jpgspoon after open 2.jpgspoon after closed.jpg

version 2 will use smaller stainless steel hardware so should weight a few grams less. I may try securing the nut to the spoon with JBWeld also.

Awesome! I have been wanting to get something like this for a while but I never thought to diy it! Nicely done.
    I wonder if you could even tap the titanium would it be strong enough just for food, hmm

-from somewhere in a hammock

I don't think the titanium is thick enough for even a single full revolution of thread. But I may try it another day as I have a tap and die set somewhere in the garage. I don't have the skill/knowledge to force some material in a hole to provide for extra thread room.

Well regardless I’m sure it will serve you well! I may have to pick up a pollished spoon to make my own.

-from somewhere in a hammock

I decided to make another, this time using only one spoon. The spoon went from about 9 inches long to 8 1/4 inches long when open, and about 5 inches long when closed. It took about 20 minutes to make. I used a drill for the hole and a Dremel for the cutting and smoothing of rough edges.

one spoon.jpg

Images

You're going to get food inside the threads of nut and screw

I suppose that’s possible, but it didn’t happen when I used the spoon.

What's the wt of the thumb screw, nut and washer alone? I know all come in Ti.

I went washerless for the shorter spoon.

ti sp 8.jpg ti sp 9.jpg ti sp 9.jpg ti sp nws.jpg

I didn't find any titanium so I ordered some aluminum thumb screws and nuts to see how they work. It'll probably take a few weeks for them to arrive. I anticipate major weight savings of 4, maybe 5 grams!

can anyone explain what an 8 inch fixed spoon cant do that a folding one can ? Seems pretty pointless to me. Taking a lightweight fairly strong, compact , one piece tool and turning it into a weaker, heavier, more complicated, tool with easy to lose parts.

Don't know why previous posters need a folding spoon, but I do and here's why: i have a Jetboil stove designed so that everything packs up inside the pot, including the fuel canister. That is, everything except the spoon or spork. It doesn't fit. Hsving it loose means greater chance of misplacing it. Others may have different reasons.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    can anyone explain what an 8 inch fixed spoon cant do that a folding one can ? Seems pretty pointless to me. Taking a lightweight fairly strong, compact , one piece tool and turning it into a weaker, heavier, more complicated, tool with easy to lose parts.
    I have never found a good spot for my spork, on my thru I clipped it on the back of my pack in the webbing which seemed to be OK, but not the best. It just never seemed to fit anywhere well that would be related to cooking, ideally I would like it in my cook set but nature of its shape always seemed to be in danger of poking something including the cook set stuff sack or perhaps bending. Yes first world problems, but I did search for a folding or collapsible Ti spork though I'm warming up to the spoon idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    Don't know why previous posters need a folding spoon, but I do and here's why: i have a Jetboil stove designed so that everything packs up inside the pot, including the fuel canister. That is, everything except the spoon or spork. It doesn't fit. Hsving it loose means greater chance of misplacing it. Others may have different reasons.
    Same here. I like for the spoon to fit inside the cookset. MSR folding spoon weighs 9g and I've been using it for almost 10 years now with no downsides. Food particles that get into the hinge come out easily. OK, well maybe not that cheese from Mtn House lasagne.

After a long wait, aluminum thumbscrews and nuts finally arrived.

steel screw and nut: 11.8 grams
    aluminum screw and nut: 4.2 grams
    st nut.jpg al nut.jpg

same spoon used in both weighings.
    ti spoon with steel screw and nut: 29.3 grams
    ti spoon with aluminum screw and nut: 21.6 grams
    ti spoon st nut.jpg ti spoon al nut.jpg

So a difference of 7.6-7.7 grams, or about a quarter ounce. That is, the total folding spoon weight goes from about an ounce to about 3/4 ounce. Functionally they feel the same, both should be of adequate strength for the task. I don't have the price difference handy, but in either case it isn't much. Besides, its a one time purchase so a small difference in price won't multiply over time. Everyone can decide for themselves if the quarter ounce matters.

EDIT: Titanium spoon, aluminum nut and aluminum screw run around $25 to make a single unit. One can get it under $20 per unit if making multiple spoons. Tools extra. Probably not a profitable endeavor for re-sale but for me there is entertainment value also. I enjoy tinkering sometimes. IMO this folding spoon outperforms other folding spoons I have tried. Of course others may not agree.

It's been fun.
    Last edited by perrymk; 04-30-2021 at 08:36.

Very nice! I’d say it’s worth it just on the fact that you never have to worry about corrosion! Clean it and you don’t have to worry about it being bone dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perry - can you give us the details on what aluminum screw and nut you got? Looks like an interesting DIY.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wasnt there a folding spoon marketed at one time in the past? not plastic.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Perry - can you give us the details on what aluminum screw and nut you got? Looks like an interesting DIY.
    I searched eBay for "aluminum thumb screw" and "aluminum nut". I only found vendors located in China. Delivery from China typically takes 6-8 weeks. In my experience, about a third of the items coming from China will not be as described. Perhaps steel instead of aluminum, hex screw instead of thumb screw, etc. They are usually pretty good about giving refunds though. It's something to factor in if you have a time schedule.

I used M5x10 (5mm wide by 10mm long) thumb screws with a flat head. I suppose other sizes would work as well but I had to pick something. Some thumb screws have a raised head, see first photo. This won't pack as well. The specific eBay item number I used:184238320507. I used M5x15x5 thumb nuts. eBay item number:393145787793.

There are other sellers. These are item numbers of the items that arrived and were correct for me. I ordered 10 at a time to average out the shipping. I think I spent $10-15 for each, so about a $1.25 per nut and $1.25 per screw. I seem to recall I couldn't find the thumb screws and nuts I wanted on Amazon. Anything I found on other vendor web sites required larger purchases. For me eBay was the way to go for small purchases.
    The titanium spoons are usually as described and are typically priced at $12-15 each. They can be found in bulk for a little less per spoon. These can be found on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    I have tried several folding spoons. Some plastic, some titanium, different folding mechanisms. I like my design best. It is fairly close in concept to an out-of-production utensil from Snow Peak, although I prefer the spoon bowl shown in my photos to what Snow Peak offered. Of course this is personal preference.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Several companies have manufactured and sold them. Ti versions are/were offered by Toaks, MSR, Snow Peak, Keith, and probably some others. Personally, I never had problems finding space for small stuff that didn't fold, but to each their own. Most things that I've had that folded never performed their intended function as well as the versions that didn't fold. My experience is that adding complexity typically introduces compromises in performance and adds to the potential for failure in the field. But HYOH, and MYOG, and have fun doing it!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++