WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: svea 123 fuel

For my old SVEA, I bought a priming pump.The original fuel cap is replaced with a same size adapter cap which has a small nipple for the pump. Preasuerize the stove and turn it on for a few seconds, and the fuel squirts out into the well.
    https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Primu.../dp/B012I4L5TK

Images

Having to prime a 123 type stove makes me think of this video:

Still quieter than an MSR G/K stove in the morning🙀

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Yup.

Inside the stove and on top of it.

Superb performance — but not a good way way to make friends if you are an early rising shelter dweller who starts their day with hot coffee.

I saw someone on You Tube that wired a piece of carbon felt onto the primer pan area to hold the fuel and burn a little better perhaps.I have the pump but an eyedropper or a soda straw weighs considerably less.Paste works and I suppose one could actually prime with alcohol fuel as well.Coleman fuel is recommended and my particular unit has the built in cleaner needle for the jet which is handy.

It was a Very Exciting event when some old person used his pump the first time,over pumping the tank,and putting on quite the pyrotechnics display before being able to get the valve closed after dropping the key in all that excitement........

If one follows Colin Fletcher’s SVEA care and handling routine in his early books the pump or auxiliary heat aren’t required in warm weather.
    He did do a lot of his treks in various deserts.
    Wayne

This gentleman made an omelette in a bag with his SVEA 123 R. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xxub3U9gww

I seem to recall having an on line conversation with someone who burned regular gasoline's in his Svea. Am I imagining that?

I managed to find the felt mod video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzFO06ZLQI

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I seem to recall having an on line conversation with someone who burned regular gasoline's in his Svea. Am I imagining that?
    I think I seen syntax 77 do that in one of his videos

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I saw someone on You Tube that wired a piece of carbon felt onto the primer pan area to hold the fuel and burn a little better perhaps.I have the pump but an eyedropper or a soda straw weighs considerably less.Paste works and I suppose one could actually prime with alcohol fuel as well.Coleman fuel is recommended and my particular unit has the built in cleaner needle for the jet which is handy.

It was a Very Exciting event when some old person used his pump the first time,over pumping the tank,and putting on quite the pyrotechnics display before being able to get the valve closed after dropping the key in all that excitement........
    if only this very Exciting event were filmed lol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    No. It was somewhat common practice years ago. While it was cheaper, the problem was that auto gas would create deposits in the burner orifice and generator, requiring more frequent cleaning and often leading to stove failure in the field. Stove fuel (Coleman Fuel) is pretty much pure "light naphtha", like a heavier blend of Zippo lighter fluid. It doesn't have a lot of additives, so it burns cleaner at the lower pressures and temperatures stoves are designed to operate at. Auto gas on the other hand has a lot more stuff in it that doesn't burn off cleanly in a stove and/or produces noxious fumes as it's formulated to burn when highly atomized and then compressed in an engine. In the old days tetraethyl lead was a common antiknock compound, but when burned released lead compounds (not good to breathe). Then MTBE was added for a while to increase oxygen in gas but it was another product you didn't want to inhale the fumes from. Modern fuels contain roughly 10% ethanol. The ethanol will attack the o-rings and other plastic/rubber parts of the stove. For example, the stuff ruins the carburetors on two cycle engines like weed whackers and such after a few years. Auto gas also tends to be corrosive to many of the materials stove tanks and stove fuel lines are constructed from. Can you use it? Sure, short term. Long term, you're going to be cleaning the stove more, inhaling worse combustion byproducts than you get from Coleman fuel, and probably ultimately have the stove fail requiring a major rebuild.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I think I seen syntax 77 do that in one of his videos
    Amoco Unleaded Premium gasoline.
    Back in the dark ages an uncle of mine used the Amoco gas in alll of his Coleman stoves, lanterns, etc. I think the attraction was the lower cost compared to Coleman Stove Fuel.
    Fast forward. Has anyone seen an Amoco station lately? I doubt seriously if the same formula from the early 60s is still available.
    Coleman and other brands of white gas are readily available and work well.
    If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    Wayne

I hiked from ME to VA and used unleaded gas most of the time with an original SVEA. I used an eye dropper to prime and cleaned it daily with wire tool. The next year I hiked Springer to Roan Mt and used the same stove but upgraded to the pump. Only time I used white gas was at the start. I remember the taxi driver filling up my Sigg fuel bottle saying “just like moonshine, never spill a drop.”
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I hiked from ME to VA and used unleaded gas most of the time with an original SVEA. I used an eye dropper to prime and cleaned it daily with wire tool. The next year I hiked Springer to Roan Mt and used the same stove but upgraded to the pump. Only time I used white gas was at the start. I remember the taxi driver filling up my Sigg fuel bottle saying “just like moonshine, never spill a drop.”
    Interesting, has to be the most cost efficient yes? And most easily obtainable? Figure 2$ a gallon for gas , That's 50 cents per quart. How much gas would you go through in a week? (Unlike moonshine i wouldn't drink it)! The redneck in me wants to believe moonshine will work in this thing to......
    Last edited by JNI64; 08-26-2020 at 01:09.

There is ethanol free automotive fuel available in some areas. There are two stations in Gorham NH that sell it. It is quite popular with owners of seasonal "toys" like ATVs, Snowmobiles and boats. Talk to any small engine mechanic and they will confirm how bad ethanol is for leaving deposits.it goes bad in a couple of months. It is also available at most airports. It cost more than ethanol blended fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    if only this very Exciting event were filmed lol.
    If you care to watch this attached video my guess is that my pyro event was about 3 times more spectacular than the flame that nearly singed this guys eyebrows off in the beginning of the video.The SVEA 123 and 123R are great stoves but do require some knowledge and caution when using.

My SVEA is a thing of classic beauty and I love it,just don't love it enough to carry it! I forget how heavy it is but the weight is significant.Then there is the metal fuel bottle and the fuel itself.That's why my main ride is Zelph's Starlyte and Starlyte XL coupled with a Trail Designs F keg and Caldera Cone it's all I will ever need to boil water.

That said,I have considered taking it again sometime with just the fuel in the tank and no reserves.Does anyone have data on how many boils you could expect on a tankful of gas?
    here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzFO06ZLQI

Quote Originally Posted by Pheral View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the Svea 123Rs were never made in the U.S. I have one of the newer ones, and while I don't still have the box, I'm reasonably certain it was made in China. With that said, it works fine and has never given me any problems and is the one I still take regularly on overnight hikes. If you want authenticity, you can still find the original 123s, though it's getting harder (and particularly ones with the original key). I have two of these, and if kept in good shape and maintenance is performed, they work as if new. BTW I couldn't find anything on the Optimus site about where they're made. Maybe someone else knows more, and I'll be happy to stand corrected.

Thanks - I phrased my question(s) poorly. I meant to ask if they were still being produced at all, and if so, was there a distributor in the USA?

There's a popular online site that has lost my trust in recent years. I would be concerned about knockoffs being sold as genuine, etc., and thus if the Svea stove were still being made, I would want to ensure that whatever I bought was the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There is ethanol free automotive fuel available in some areas. There are two stations in Gorham NH that sell it. It is quite popular with owners of seasonal "toys" like ATVs, Snowmobiles and boats. Talk to any small engine mechanic and they will confirm how bad ethanol is for leaving deposits.it goes bad in a couple of months. It is also available at most airports. It cost more than ethanol blended fuels.
    I use ethanol-free RV fuel filter in my lawnmower and snowblower. It has a very high octane rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Thanks - I phrased my question(s) poorly. I meant to ask if they were still being produced at all, and if so, was there a distributor in the USA?

There's a popular online site that has lost my trust in recent years. I would be concerned about knockoffs being sold as genuine, etc., and thus if the Svea stove were still being made, I would want to ensure that whatever I bought was the real deal.
    There are many e-tailers other than the big one that sell this stove, mostly in the range of $110 dollars or so.

I think Optimus could be trusted.
    https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/...9-optimus-svea
    Fuel typeWhite gas
    Average burn timeUp to 50 min at maximum output (with 120 ml of fuel)
    Dimensions (mm)130 × Ø 100
    Average boil time for 1 L of waterApprox. 7 min/1 L, depending on climate, altitude etc.
    Output1400W
    Weight (grams)550g

Have fun!
    Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++